Team-BHP - New E60 BMW M5 with SMG transmission
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   New E60 BMW M5 with SMG transmission (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/366-new-e60-bmw-m5-smg-transmission.html)

Uh Oh Here is the I-Drive

For the full album with 35 pictures, click here.

GTO

I have to admit, the new E60 M5 does not look that ugly to me, but I do find it a little weird nevertheless.

Call me a purist, but this is what I would have over the E60 anyday.

GTO

i knew i cud count on ya gto the new m5 does look a bit weird. the older m5 is much much more drool-worthy. anyday.

I dunno but the E60 just doesnt seem like the "wolf in sheeps clothing". Its just too much sheep and no wolf. I mean that is the idea but i would also have the E39 anyday to this soft serve ice cream of a monster car. The bottom front scoop looks good but the rest... naah!!! And what is with this SMG... why get rid of a clutch, its so much more controlled then.

help me someone....but I actually like the new one!! Maybe its just the angel of that first pic, but it looks so fluid...the metal seems to just melt over the wheels.

Maybe Bangle was right...the world does need time to come around...!

Yepp RTECH, I am with ya'
This E60 looks Wicked.
More Musculer and Beastier than the original. (IMO)
And dont those 4 Exhuasts lighten up the (rather) dull rear of the 5 series?
And by the way.. isnt this the Concept M5 that was shown in this years Geneva Motorshow?

Guys while i know the older M5 is HOT!!
I love the new one too, I think it's great cause we need to have changes... and thats exactly what BMW is doing....
Imagine in communication we never had a change or transport or everything else?

I guess it's a nice direction. for saying this id get spanked i know but i really like it... should i say MEATY??

Nice find GTO,

I think the 19" wheels kinda improve on the 5 which seems like it is misproportioned a bit.
The front airdam is beautifully designed and fits with the light design very well.

I have had an open mind to bangle since the start because when i first saw the E39 i hated it..and then it grew on me a lot, so the same might happen with the bangled beems.

SMG - wow its cool and all..but cmon man....wheres the manual?

And the BEST thing about this car is the performance!! Believe me...the old M5 was a wolf in sheeps clothing.....this is a dragon on steroids in wolves clothing!

cheers
Rehaan

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Believe me...the old M5 was a wolf in sheeps clothing.....this is a dragon on steroids in wolves clothing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]wheres the manual?

If rumours are to be believed, BMW is going to offer..........hold your breath..........a SEVEN SPEED MANUAL!!!!!!

GTO

Hey GTO,

yepp i have read the same rumours about the 7speed manual!.... i think theres like a 80% chance there will be a manual E60 M5 launched and 75% its gonna be a 7speed!
Just waiting to see it!

cya
R

yippeee! its great and the just the way i wanted it to be. it looks menacing yet everything just seems to fall in place. what a treat for a BM fan. call me a bit soft in the head, and i do absolutely love the last generation m5, but id still take the E60 over it. and with the SMG. the reason being, with 500 bhp and a v10, id like not having to do everything and get distracted. it could be a handful. but a 7-speed manual definitely makes you want to give it a thought.

i'd close my eyes and pick the *last gen m5, and have it tuned by either dinan/alpina/ac schnitzer........rather than buy the new car......and spend my entire life waiting for the design to grow on me. if it was for that, i'd pick a santro or a wagon r.

it's got a gem of an engine, credit goes to bmw and not to bangle. guess bmw has finally realized that his drawings are a bit quirky.......and thats why he's been 'promoted' to a position where he's not directly into designing. thank god!!

And yeah even I kinda feel this is the Concept M5, that was shown in a motorshow recently (Same color same Rims..). So these cant be called spy pics. Its parked openly between a dump of BMWs. But yes the pics are taken by an amateur.. Thats why he said spy pics, coz I am sure BMW Officials dont know when they were taken!

Guys autoweek confirms 7 speed manual!!
Here's the article from Autoweeks cover story :

M stands for Monster: New M5 promises to be BMW's hottest production sedan ever

By GREG KABLE

2006 BMW M5
ON SALE: 2005
BASE PRICE: $80,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 5.0-liter, 500-hp, 369-lb-ft V10; rwd, seven-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3900 pounds (est.)
0 to 60 MPH: 4.7 seconds (est.)

Replacing a landmark car is never easy. When the landmark car has whipped every conceivable rival in convincing fashion in its lifetime, the job is even harder. And that's the task the new BMW M5 faces. Its iconic predecessor set the sport sedan standard for six years, until it ceased production late last year.

Rather than rest on its laurels and simply refine a winning package, BMW's M division has dug deep into its development coffers to raise the four-door stakes-again.

The concept behind the new M5 is the same as always: "To blend an unobtrusive appearance with a high-performance engine and premium levels of sedan car comfort." But this execution is different, more courageous than any in the model's 20-year history.

Everything you need to know about Munich's new 155-mph four-door flyer is summed up in the sophistication of the monster engine behind the signature kidney grille. This F1-inspired V10 signals the M division's newfound determination to not only demolish its rivals on driving finesse, but to do so with outright grunt as well.

By replacing the previous model's 4.9-liter V8 with a 5.0-liter V10, BMW elevates the performance potential to a higher plane. Displacement has barely changed, but output has shot up by 100 hp to a tantalizing 500 hp-and in the process, that magic 100-hp-per-liter that has long been an M division forte has been achieved. Torque is up, too, with 369 lb-ft concentrated in the first half of the rev range

The V10's fundamentals are much like the old V8's: 90-degree architecture, aluminum construction, four valves per cylinder. But numer-ous refinements have been made to the internal structure, variable valve timing (Double Vanos in BMW-speak), electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies and in-house-develop-ed engine management system designed to sharpen throttle response.

Rather than resort to forced induction like rivals AMG and Audi Sport do with the E55 and RS6, respectively, BMW engineers rely on a heavy dose of revs to achieve the 25 percent increase in power. If rumors circulating at the M5's unveiling at Geneva in March hold true, the new engine will rev close to 8500 rpm in production trim.

M division development boss Gerhard Richter masterminded the V10, which is also earmarked for the M6 due out next year. "It really is quite special," Richter says. "There are some trick internals that let it rev quite high. You won't be disappointed!"

Proof of this is reflected in the acceleration. With a projected 0-to-60-mph time around 4.7 seconds, the new M5 is a full 0.6 second faster than its predecessor. Even more impressive is its 0-to-120-mph split, which is put at a sports car-like 12.7 seconds. Like all M cars, top speed is limited to 155 mph, although Richter hints it would be capable of something closer to 185 mph.

A new seven-speed version of BMW's sequential manual gearbox, based on the six-speed the M3 uses, will be offered as an alternative to a more traditional seven-speed manual. SMG actu-ation is via twin paddles fixed to the steering wheel or a stubby, chromed-topped gear lever. As in the M3, the driver can choose from among 11 different programs-five automatic modes, six manual ones-to alter the gear-change characteristics.

The M5's substantial power is channeled through a beefed-up version of BMW's limited-slip M differential. It measures the difference in wheel rotations left to right, and apportions power via an electronically controlled clutch, depend-- ing on traction levels. The trick rear axle is allied to a fourth-generation version of BMW's Dynamic Stability Control and Traction system.

Underneath is a reworked rear-wheel-drive 5 Series platform beefed up with components taken from the flagship 7 Series, including parts of its rear axle and brakes. Dry-sump lubri-cation allows BMW to set the engine aftward and closer to the ground than the standard inline six and V8 engines offered in the 5 Series. Weight distribution is 50/50. The entire load-bearing structure forward of the A-pillars is made from a mix of aluminum and lightweight high-tensile steel. Still, BMW remains tight-lipped on actual weight until closer to the production version's unveiling at the Paris motor show in September. Our estimates put it around 3900 pounds.

BMW used the demanding Nürburgring Nordschleife to refine the car's MacPherson strut front and multilink rear suspension. Richter won't give specifics, but he says the geometry has been revised with track lengths providing a "substantially larger footprint than the 5 Series." A lot of develop-- ment work also has been focus-ed on stiffening the subframes to which the suspension is attached and minimizing unsprung weight through a "heavier concentration of aluminum components."

Given the M division's traditional attention to detail, it seems safe to assume the new M5's steering will be more direct than ever. The new car will use a modified Active Steering system that is optional on the 5 Series. Expect loads of feedback, too, for there is plenty of rubber in contact with the road. The lightweight 10-spoke alloys are shod with generously sized 225/40ZR front and 285/35ZR rear Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

We can't yet know whether the new M5 will retain the reputation for sport sedan greatness, but we can be consoled in knowing it at least looks the part. As these pictures reveal, the new car looks every bit as determined as its mechanical specifications suggest.

While changes from the standard 5 Series are subtle, they have all been finely honed in the wind tunnel and are entirely functional. There is no pretense, just parts that get the job done. There is a deep air dam with three cooling ducts, generously flared wheel arches, chunkier side sills and a complex rear bumper with a central diffuser designed to draw hot air away from the differential

In what is likely to become an M car signature, this 5 sports chromed gills behind its front wheel arches and four chromed tailpipes poking out in pairs from each side at the rear. Also, 19-inch alloy wheels-8.5 inches wide at the front, 9.5 at the rear.

If Richter can be believed, then M division's chief designer Ulf Weidhase has done his job well. "It's got real presence on the road," he enthuses. "When we were out testing with final prototypes on public roads it was instantly spotted as being more than a normal 5 Series."

When the new M5 reaches North American showrooms sometime next year, it is almost certainly going to cost more than the car it replaces. With the price premium will come higher levels of technology, added performance, and as luxurious an interior as any in the BMW lineup. The new M5 might be more powerful than ever, but it's apparent M car buyers still enjoy their comfort, too.

haamana haamana haamana!!!

What a car man...I would love own this awesome machine over any other that I know..I am one of the biggest fans of the older M5 too and I think they are 2 different looks..both are perfect..and it was about time to move on into the 21st century and what a way for BMW to do so..
going crazi over the car's look...when would be able to have one??