Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 23:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata may buy stake in Ferrari

Quote:

It's becoming increasingly apparent that India's largest automaker Tata cannot be stopped. On the verge of finalizing a deal to acquire Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford, Tata is now rumored to be interested in buying a stake in one of the most beloved performance marques of all time: Ferrari. We stress that this is a rumor, because it stems from a quote given by Tata's chief Ratan Tata to Italy's L'Espresso in which he reportedly said that he's always dreamt of being a fighter pilot (takeover of Bob Lutz?) and participating in the shareholding of Ferrari.

The reason this rumor has some legs is that Tata already has an established relationship with Ferrari's parent company Fiat. It's on the board of Fiat and has some engine supply deals with the Italian automaker. Fiat owns an 85% stake in Ferrari with an option to purchase an additional 5%. Could Tata, the maker of the world's least expensive auto, one day have a stake in the company that builds some of the world's most expensive and exotic autos? We wouldn't bet against Tata at this point.
Tata World Takeover Part XVXVXIIIXVX: Indian automaker may buy stake in Ferrari - Autoblog
Old 7th March 2008, 23:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Highly optimistic imagination running on some very exotic weeds
Old 7th March 2008, 23:32   #3
BANNED

Wow! That's good news! Hope this rumour comes true.

But, what really has bitten Tata?
Soon, will Tata acquire Fiat too and sort out it's problems? As it is connected with Ferrari, I see a distant possibility. :
Old 7th March 2008, 23:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me what exactly that reporter is smoking? Seems like some good ****!
Old 8th March 2008, 00:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

LOL,we were always taught to dream high so that we atain atleast 80

% of it.Anyways good for tata that they have dreamt of it so that they end up something close to it.
ram
Old 8th March 2008, 00:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me what exactly that reporter is smoking? Seems like some good ****!
Old 8th March 2008, 00:12   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yes. It is known as TFT. Tata Ferrari Thoughtopia. It is a special mix conceived mostly in the backseats of Italian cars and developed with care by Tata mechanics. It grows with the special help of last night's girl's spewed off Caviar and melted latex. It's very hard to get it down the throat and requires some good courage to do so.
But once down, it shows all the great heavens and rotten beaches, peaches etc... Last time I tried, it showed me a black hairy small kitten. It had eyes that could've taken my breath away. But, it just walked past me and I remained gasping and open mouthed.
Oh my god! What has happened to me?

Jokes apart, don't you guys feel it could've been good if it turns out to be true?
Old 8th March 2008, 00:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Last time I tried, it showed me a black hairy small kitten. It had eyes that could've taken my breath away. But, it just walked past me and I remained gasping and open mouthed.
I believe Ramakkalmedu is one of those places where they grow Magic Mushroom. I didnt realize this was harvest season.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:48   #9
BHPian

i think he can afford to buy 5% stake in ferrari
Old 8th March 2008, 01:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

This report looks like true. Even business standard has a report on it

Source: Ratan Tata eyes stake in Ferrari
Old 8th March 2008, 01:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

If Tata can pick up Landrover and Jaguar, Im sure they can pick up a small stake in Ferrari.
Old 8th March 2008, 01:13   #12
BHPian

If you see the title for that in autoblog it says "tata's world takeover" ! Find that really funny !
well if a chinese motorcycle manufacturer can buy an exotic motorcycle mfg'r like Benelli then I guess as long as they've got the cash i'm sure its possible.
Old 8th March 2008, 01:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well, there were some rumours of TATA's interest in Ferrari back when Fiat tied up with Tata. Anyway, with TATA aquiring Jag and LR, it isn't unthinkable that they can aquire a stake in Ferrari. 5% in Ferrari wouldn't cost much if at all Ferrari is willing to sell.

Now the question is, why would TATA be interested in Ferrari when it already has Jaguar? I think the answer is in the question itself:
1. Fiat expressed interest in Jaguar's chasis to make a new sedan with Maser engines.
2. Ferrari owns Maseratti. Yes, organizational structure wise, Ferrari owns maser and Fiat owns stake in Ferrari.
3. Tata owns Jaguar.

So a TATA stake in Ferrari in exchange for a Fiat stake in Jaguar/LR will be an ideal recipe that can give birth to a new Jag-Maser sports sedan.

and if you want to be generous with your dreams, the next Nano you buy will have Ferrari technology in it

Last edited by Mayavi : 8th March 2008 at 01:17.
Old 8th March 2008, 03:11   #14
BHPian

wicked isnt it? so when is the 'lakhtakia' ferrari out?
Old 8th March 2008, 03:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lets get one thing straight...the price of the car company has nothing to do with the price of the cars they sell.

A guy like Vijay Mallya can easily buy a company like Pagani cash down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks