Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2008, 06:48   #16
BHPian

Here is an article from today's Times of India that should clear some stuff up.

Tata fancies stake in Ferrari
Set To Drive Home JLR, Reports Say Group Sets Sights On Italian Major
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: This could well be the one on the fast track for Ratan Tata. Close to acquiring British marquees Jaguar and Land Rover (JLR), the media reports in Europe have suggested that he may be interested in buying a stake in Ferrari—the legendary Italian sports car company. The company is part of Fiat, one of Tata’s JV partners in India.
Tata, who has been spearheading the diversified group’s charge in overseas markets, was quoted by an Italian publication that he is interested in buying a stake in Ferrari, one of the top names in the Formula One circuit. “I have two passions in my life: cars and aircraft,’’ he told the magazine. “I have always dreamed of being able to be a fighter pilot and I confirm the desire to participate in the shareholding of Ferrari,’’ he was quoted as saying.
When contacted, a Tata Motors spokesman said the reports were untrue and the chairman was misquoted. “Tata Group wishes to clarify that the statement has been misquoted and taken out of context. The report is completely untrue,’’ the spokesman said. In the interview, Tata said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo shared his vision and he had been invited by him to Italy. “Luca di Montezemolo has invited me to look around in Italy because his country offers a lot of opportunities in the design and luxury sectors,’’ Tata was quoted as saying by L’Espresso. Importantly, the Tata group chief added that “Montezemolo has made me curious. We have the same vision, we buy the same things.’’
Interestingly, Tata last month flagged off a 13,000-km tour of Ferrari in India that would feature the company’s ‘612 Scaglietti’ model traveling across 57 Indian cities.
Tata is also a board member on Fiat. The two firms already have a JV in India to make passenger cars, engines and transmissions for the Indian and overseas markets. The € 650 million JV will mae Fiat’s premium cars, Grande Punto and Linea, its 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engine, its 1.2 and 1.4 litre gasoline engine and matching transmissions apart from Tata’s next generation vehicles. Importantly, Tata will handle distribution and service network for Fiat branded cars in India while the Italian auto major is likely to do the same for Tata Motors in many overseas markets.
Tata’s interest in Ferrari comes just when Tata Motors is close to acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover brands from Fiat. The two companies, engaged in final negotiations, have said there were “no major roadblocks’’ to the deal. “... these are complex and detailed discussions.

SOURCE: Welcome

Its on page 21

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 8th March 2008 at 06:49.
Old 8th March 2008, 07:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Lets get one thing straight...the price of the car company has nothing to do with the price of the cars they sell.

A guy like Vijay Mallya can easily buy a company like Pagani cash down.
Exactly, who would have thought that Jag + LR combo will sell for just a shade above $ 1bn ? Thats the amount of money TCS is getting for just one project.
Old 8th March 2008, 07:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Exactly, who would have thought that Jag + LR combo will sell for just a shade above $ 1bn ? Thats the amount of money TCS is getting for just one project.
Wasn't TATA looking to borrow 3 BN? what do they need 3 BN for?
Old 8th March 2008, 16:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
1. Fiat expressed interest in Jaguar's chasis to make a new sedan with Maser engines.
Fiat wants the new Alfas to get the Jaguar's rear wheel drive platforms.

Quote:
2. Ferrari owns Maseratti. Yes, organizational structure wise, Ferrari owns maser and Fiat owns stake in Ferrari.
Ferrari doesn't own Maserati. Maserati was run by the Ferrari management. Currently it is the Alfa Romeo that is handling Maserati. In fact, the Alfa 80C is built on a Maserati platform.
Fiat owns about 85% of Ferrari. Maserati is also a subsidiary of Fiat.

Quote:
3. Tata owns Jaguar.
Not yet but soon .
Old 8th March 2008, 16:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
According to Wikipedia, TCS' net revenue (not profit) for the year 2006-2007 was $4.3 billion. Are you suggesting that 25% of that came from a single project alone?
Old 8th March 2008, 17:36   #21
BHPian

There are few such large deals, the larger ones are usually split up into smaller pieces. TCS did sign a $1.2 billion deal with Nielsen over 10 years, before that the ABN Amro deal $2.2 billion was shared by TCS, Infosys and Patni.

However that's besides the point. The good thing is TATA is being aggressive and making attempts to go global in the auto industry here. Kudos to them. If it wasn't for a influence peddling by the government and Goyal Tata would probably be the No1 private airline now. The only disappointment in Ratan Tata's time has been their mobile business.
Old 8th March 2008, 18:05   #22
BHPian

Whoa guys! Why is everyone bringing up the revenue of TCS into this? While it's true that a majority of the income of the Tata group comes from TCS, it is not possible for Tata Motors to finance the purchase of the Jag - Land Rover (or the Ferrari stake) from the revenue they get from TCS. Moreover, TCS just pays a royalty amount to the Tata Group, which is quite substantial, but nowhere close enough to bankroll such a huge purchase. Moreover, as a TCS employee, I can sense quite a major restructuring program on the cards since things haven't been so rosey over the past 3 quarters (rupee appreciation, ineffecient mid-level management, etc). The 4th quarter results would probably confirm this.

Last edited by leodelg : 8th March 2008 at 18:05. Reason: Typo
Old 8th March 2008, 23:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Tata has expressed an interest in picking up a small stake in Ferrari, which I believe will remain exactly that untill we hear otherwise.

It all makes sense when you think of the possible synergies that the extended Fiat group and Tata+JLR can pursue in future. For one, JLR will need engine supply and expertise for its future models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
... Last time I tried, it showed me a black hairy small kitten. It had eyes that could've taken my breath away.
Oh my god! What has happened to me?
Was the black hairy kitten humming a Pink Floyd tune....?
Old 9th March 2008, 00:00   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Was the black hairy kitten humming a Pink Floyd tune....?
No No!

It was rapping up 'My neck, My back' sung by Khia. :
Old 9th March 2008, 00:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
According to Wikipedia, TCS' net revenue (not profit) for the year 2006-2007 was $4.3 billion. Are you suggesting that 25% of that came from a single project alone?
Raul has already answered your question. It was for service and maintenance over 10 years.
Old 9th March 2008, 01:25   #26

[quote=spawnofsatan;750617]Here is an article from today's Times of India that should clear some stuff up.

Tata fancies stake in Ferrari
Set To Drive Home JLR, Reports Say Group Sets Sights On Italian Major
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: This could well be the one on the fast track for Ratan Tata. Close to acquiring British marquees Jaguar and Land Rover (JLR), the media reports in Europe have suggested that he may be interested in buying a stake in Ferrari—the legendary Italian sports car company. The company is part of Fiat, one of Tata’s JV partners in India.
Tata, who has been spearheading the diversified group’s charge in overseas markets, was quoted by an Italian publication that he is interested in buying a stake in Ferrari, one of the top names in the Formula One circuit. “I have two passions in my life: cars and aircraft,’’ he told the magazine. “I have always dreamed of being able to be a fighter pilot and I confirm the desire to participate in the shareholding of Ferrari,’’ he was quoted as saying.
When contacted, a Tata Motors spokesman said the reports were untrue and the chairman was misquoted. “Tata Group wishes to clarify that the statement has been misquoted and taken out of context. The report is completely untrue,’’ the spokesman said. In the interview, Tata said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo shared his vision and he had been invited by him to Italy. “Luca di Montezemolo has invited me to look around in Italy because his country offers a lot of opportunities in the design and luxury sectors,’’ Tata was quoted as saying by L’Espresso. Importantly, the Tata group chief added that “Montezemolo has made me curious. We have the same vision, we buy the same things.’’
Interestingly, Tata last month flagged off a 13,000-km tour of Ferrari in India that would feature the company’s ‘612 Scaglietti’ model traveling across 57 Indian cities.
Tata is also a board member on Fiat. The two firms already have a JV in India to make passenger cars, engines and transmissions for the Indian and overseas markets. The € 650 million JV will mae Fiat’s premium cars, Grande Punto and Linea, its 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engine, its 1.2 and 1.4 litre gasoline engine and matching transmissions apart from Tata’s next generation vehicles. Importantly, Tata will handle distribution and service network for Fiat branded cars in India while the Italian auto major is likely to do the same for Tata Motors in many overseas markets.
Tata’s interest in Ferrari comes just when Tata Motors is close to acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover brands from Fiat. The two companies, engaged in final negotiations, have said there were “no major roadblocks’’ to the deal. “... these are complex and detailed discussions.

SOURCE: Welcome
]
Tata is not close to acquiring jaguar and land rover from FIAT but from FORD
Old 20th March 2008, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Any update on this news guys.I had been informed that the ferraris touring india had nothing to do with it and that some people from ferrari were on a tour of india and it just happend that they had a couple of ferraris following ,lol.
ram
Old 20th March 2008, 18:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Any update on this news guys.I had been informed that the ferraris touring india had nothing to do with it and that some people from ferrari were on a tour of india and it just happend that they had a couple of ferraris following ,lol.
ram

where is the proof man give us proof you have been saying a lot against Fiat without any proper evidence. Are you on pay to do bad publicity about Fiat ? if yes, you are going over the limit man just chill and take your Maruti for ride maybe you will love it more instead of hating Fiat all the time.

Last edited by FERRO : 20th March 2008 at 18:39.
Old 20th March 2008, 18:54   #29
BHPian

He could get it . and I saw the Ferrari in Hyderabad today thats on tour in India.. I used to imagine Ferraris small.. but thts a big one...
Old 20th March 2008, 19:47   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
No further information posted till now.

I think You've been informed with a bit of salt added. But there's nothing wrong in posting what you were informed of. Some people always ask for proofs to all the information one gathers. He he he!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks