Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 23:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optra5 : Get it here!

GM has the Optra in a hatchback form in North America and if you thought that the Optra looks awesome then take a look at this beauty which IMO looks way better then the sedan. In North America both the Optra and Optra5 are priced same. So i say forget the weird Avieo and get this one here. In any case, what extra is GM gonna spend on this car? Correct me if i wrong but all that GM will spend on is the body. Engine, suspension, interior....everything will be shared with the optra.
Check out pics:

Looks reallllly Smoooooth here

Slightly different interiors from the sedan. I prefer this one - Round A/C vents look cool. Isn't the dashboard different too?

Old 27th January 2005, 23:48   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Looks very Camry'ish in the 4th pic.
Old 27th January 2005, 23:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gotta love this restyled front end. Just so much sleeker and with the times. I honestly prefer the old multi-toothed Optra to the GM India launched plain jane grille. It looks just too "80s".

If GM India launch this front end treatment...the Corolla is dead.

GTO
Old 28th January 2005, 00:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

This Optra looks much much better than the one on sale in India. The front end looks great and so does the rear end. I always thought the Chevy badge never suited the the Optra but it certainly does suit this one. This design is so much more Chevrolet.

Dippy
Old 28th January 2005, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

This one looks better than the current one sold here. But if they bring it here I don't think it would sell in good numbers coz people are not ready to pay around 8 lakhs for a hatchback. So don't think GM is bringing it here soon.
Old 28th January 2005, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

In NA, Optra is launched by Suzuki as Forenza

Link to Suzuki Forenza

And there is a Station wagon too.
Old 28th January 2005, 12:58   #7
BHPian

nice post....

they should bring it here and get it to compete in the flair/petra/indigo segment....unless it's down to the lower end of the c segment it wouldnt generate the numbers...

as a hatch i'd say the optra has already got the brand image to command 5-6 lakhs....
in fact they could use the engine from the 1.4 corsa....would allow them to land themselves into the segment and lower their costs too....they should do this after a year/year and a half when the optra novelty has worn off....the civic and focus are coming into the same segment and im not sure how well this will compete against them....

after they've soaked up all the top end 1.8 LT consumers, and sales begin to dry up, they should launch a 1.4/1.6 hatch at 5-6 lakhs....will definitely get them the numbers....esp. the current b-segment owners who are looking for an upgrade (but not necessarily a 3box sedan)...the indian consumer is getting more value based....and is not functioning on prioce point alone....explains the alto doing so well.....the market shoudl mature mroe in the days to come and the days of power hatches are already here....the palio , swift, getz (yuck...no powerhatch this!!!), aveo (same goes)

what say? make sense?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks