Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 01:26   #121
BHPian

BAD move!!!
The rims on the SLR were made to serve a functional purpose...Their screw like design is there to literally suck air in to cool the brakes! Helps doing away with brake ducts...My suggestion would be keep the new rims if you wanna drive 'slow'

Else you risk brake fade!
Old 13th April 2008, 02:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
BAD move!!!
The rims on the SLR were made to serve a functional purpose...Their screw like design is there to literally suck air in to cool the brakes! Helps doing away with brake ducts...My suggestion would be keep the new rims if you wanna drive 'slow'

Agreed, we all know how those ceramic discs can fire up. Personally I'm a huge fan of black alloys, but those turbine wheels are something else altogether. I mean an SLR can never look bad, but I just feel it looked better stock. Perhaps you should've smoked your turbines...not only would that serve the purpose of ensuring fade-free braking, but it would also look unique and appeal to your desire to stand out. My 2 cents.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:20   #123
BHPian

Quote:
BAD move!!!

Hey guys, dosn't mercedes offer 2 diff type of stock rims for the SLR if im not mistaken?? One is the multi-spoke one shown in the pic n another is a different 5 spoke design one. Since mercedes itself is offering another rim design other than the turbine shape one, i dont think heating of the discs should pose a major prob. unless the car is used extremely hard by our friend . Correct me if im wrong.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:31   #124
Team-BHP Support

One thing i HATE about the stock SLR is the rims. They look quite ugly in my opinion

The ones on the 070 car are HOT! I like those. Gives the car a whole new flavour.

In terms of functionality, i do not think the cooling of the brakes is something to really worry about, for two reasons :
1. Brabus SLR - more power & different wheels (6xtwin spoke)
2. Mercedes Mclaren 722 - more power & different wheels (6xtwin spokes again)

...and then ofcourse theres the 722 GT !!! (multispokes).

cya
R
Old 13th April 2008, 11:56   #125
BHPian

Hot rims on an insane car!!

The pics of the rims being put on reminded me of karol bagh though. Road side installation is the forte of KB tyre dealers. I expected an air-conditioned showroom atleast for this tyre change!
Old 13th April 2008, 12:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally dont like the new rims.... The stock rims look much better.
Old 13th April 2008, 15:32   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I personally dont like the new rims.... The stock rims look much better.
Totally agree with you buddy !!!
Old 13th April 2008, 15:57   #128
BHPian

I vote for stock as well (perhaps made black as suggested by aniguchisan)

And arent those the same rims as on the M5?
Old 13th April 2008, 18:04   #129
Senior - BHPian

Ohohohoho! Rims being fitted on an SLR on a footpath/sidewalk outside the workshop!
It happens only in Dubai!
Awesome rims man!
Old 13th April 2008, 19:35   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

I just have to say that your collection is truly astounding !! I think I already said that at the beginning of this thread, but seeing the pics posted later just reaffirms my belief that this has to be one of the better car collections in the world.

I sincerely hope that sometime in the future, your car collection can rival that os the Sultan of Brunei or Jay Leno.
Old 13th April 2008, 21:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

You could put Steel rims on a SLR and it would still look smoking What I would suggest is paint the OE alloys black and put them back on the SLR for the cooling functionality. I am sure you push your vehicles to the max on those roads. your brakes need all the cooling it can get.
Old 13th April 2008, 23:50   #132
BHPian

Originally Posted by tjallu

Quote:
BAD move!!!

WOW! Thanks for the info, i never thought of that. I called up Mercedes about it and they asked me to bring her down to the dealership. They did some tests and asked me questions about use. Based upon the fact that I don't drive her more that 200 km a week and the design of the rims (gaps between 5 spokes) they said i shouldn't be worried. But still suggested that i bring her in at least twice more in the following two months to do follow-up tests.

So im getting mixed reviews about the new rims. Some of you guys like it and some don't but over here everyone who has seen it thinks its nice. I think they look better in real life!

DISASTER! Something has gone horribly wrong with the GT3 RS. My dad took her out for a spin and at a stop light she just stalled and wouldn't turn on. My dad is beyond angry, partly because he looked quite foolish on the roads, and partly because he thinks it's not working because i abused it. For now my mechanicsare trying to find out whats wrong but if the can't were going to have to turn it over to porsche. I hope everyting works out.

As you can see in the picture they have removed the entire engine bay. I pray they can find out whats wrong. I am beyond pissed off.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: The O Seven O Garage-n685260108_1630811_4712.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th April 2008 at 18:15. Reason: some problem in system software
Old 14th April 2008, 00:06   #133
BHPian

DAMN!!! that's awful. Hope she's ok. Im feelin bad just looking at her being opened up. I wonder what must have gone wrong.
Old 14th April 2008, 00:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! Let's hope it's nothing major.
Old 14th April 2008, 01:06   #135
BHPian

oooops.

i am more worried about her than i was when i had broken my wrist.
hope she's all right and burning rubber soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2008 at 01:51. Reason: Please do not use punctuation in multiples.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks