Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 01:39   #136
BHPian

WRT the SLR Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey guys, dosn't mercedes offer 2 diff type of stock rims for the SLR if im not mistaken?? One is the multi-spoke one shown in the pic n another is a different 5 spoke design one. Since mercedes itself is offering another rim design other than the turbine shape one, i dont think heating of the discs should pose a major prob. unless the car is used extremely hard by our friend . Correct me if im wrong.
No, I believe that the SLR came only with the corkscrews..They are part of form and function. A safety feature if you wanna call it that. The ceramic brakes have literally cought fire before! He has taken his cars to the track before, and if he drives hard enough, then it can happen to him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
One thing i HATE about the stock SLR is the rims. They look quite ugly in my opinion

The ones on the 070 car are HOT! I like those. Gives the car a whole new flavour.

In terms of functionality, i do not think the cooling of the brakes is something to really worry about, for two reasons :
1. Brabus SLR - more power & different wheels (6xtwin spoke)
2. Mercedes Mclaren 722 - more power & different wheels (6xtwin spokes again)

...and then ofcourse theres the 722 GT !!! (multispokes).
Yeah they might look good [I think stock looks better]
BUT they were made to serve a purpose...and as stated later by 070, MB called the car in to inspect it! Point proven...
The other cars might have brake ducts or some other way to induce brake cooling, but on the SLR there is no ducting, and these rims were designed for this purpose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjallu View Post
WOW! Thanks for the info, i never thought of that. I called up Mercedes about it and they asked me to bring her down to the dealership. They did some tests and asked me questions about use. Based upon the fact that I don't drive her more that 200 km a week and the design of the rims (gaps between 5 spokes) they said i shouldn't be worried. But still suggested that i bring her in at least twice more in the following two months to do follow-up tests.

So im getting mixed reviews about the new rims. Some of you guys like it and some don't but over here everyone who has seen it thinks its nice. I think they look better in real life!
Again my suggestion would be to use the stock rims. Brake fade can be FATAL...The stock rims look amazing, and that adds to the whole SLR flavour, so why change them? Also even if you drive short distances, it's how you drive that's the question! I've been close to experiencing brake fade and it's not pretty! the damn pedal feels so spongy, it freaks the hell out of you! [Never racing down a hill again]

Quote:
As you can see in the picture they have removed the entire engine bay. I pray they can find out whats wrong. I am beyond pissed off.
Hope all goes well with the Porsche, I'm a huge fan of those cars, and they're pretty much bulletproof, should be a problem with the electricals...

Love seeing the Chayenne up in the air like that
Old 14th April 2008, 02:10   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
No, I believe that the SLR came only with the corkscrews..
I dont know about if other wheel options were offered at the time of sale, but some official pictures released had different style wheels. (These might have been pictures of prototypes)

Heres one, which is definitely of the pre-production version (when it was still known as the "vision" slr) :
Pics: The O Seven O Garage-1999_mercedesbenz_vision_slr3.jpg

Heres another, which i am unsure of :
Pics: The O Seven O Garage-slr-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
BUT they were made to serve a purpose...and as stated later by 070, MB called the car in to inspect it! Point proven...
Well if a customer (of an SLR nonetheless) calls MB with a doubt, naturally they are going to call him in to look at the car.

Point proven ?? i dont see how, considering the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjallu
...Based upon the fact that I don't drive her more that 200 km a week and the design of the rims (gaps between 5 spokes) they said i shouldn't be worried....
Dont get me wrong, i agree with you in theory about the wheels...
(see this discussion : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post647765)

However, my point is that i dont think it would make a night and day difference (hence my points about the 722 having the different wheels, - and im sure both cars must have some/similar ducting to the brakes, which probably does a majority of the cooling work, and hence not too much value is places on the "sucking" of the wheels.

Infact, depending on the ducting, it is even possible that these new alloys (with more open space) are better for the cooling, but lets not get into that unless we have to!
As the mythbusters would say "lets leave this issue as probable".

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2008 at 02:13.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:35   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For now my mechanicsare trying to find out whats wrong but if the can't were going to have to turn it over to porsche. I hope everyting works out.

As you can see in the picture they have removed the entire engine bay. I pray they can find out whats wrong. I am beyond pissed off.
Wouldn't it be better to get the car directly at Porsche service center. I am sure the warranty on the car would still be valid.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

One of the orange cars is in trouble? Not cool !! Hope it gets back to its snarling self soon.
Old 14th April 2008, 13:14   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I dont know about if other wheel options were offered at the time of sale, but some official pictures released had different style wheels. (These might have been pictures of prototypes)

Well if a customer (of an SLR nonetheless) calls MB with a doubt, naturally they are going to call him in to look at the car.

Point proven ?? i dont see how, considering the following.

Dont get me wrong, i agree with you in theory about the wheels...
(see this discussion : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post647765)

However, my point is that i dont think it would make a night and day difference (hence my points about the 722 having the different wheels, - and im sure both cars must have some/similar ducting to the brakes, which probably does a majority of the cooling work, and hence not too much value is places on the "sucking" of the wheels.

Infact, depending on the ducting, it is even possible that these new alloys (with more open space) are better for the cooling, but lets not get into that unless we have to!
As the mythbusters would say "lets leave this issue as probable".

cya
R
No, I never intend on getting into an arguement...It's not like you don't know your cars, I'm sure you do...
However, was merely stating my opinions.

The problem with the design of the SLR was that with the achievable speeds, they need to be able to stop...0-250-0 will definately show you red hot ceramic discs!!! The idea then, is to somehow prevent any sort of heat related brake failure. The discs will not crack, the pads are of special material which will not burn, the brake lines are SS...but the brake fluid is not special...

Therefore the wheels. I belive that there is no brake ducting on the SLR to reduce aerodynamic drag...I'm no engineer, nor am I good at physics...

I just love cars, and that's what it seems like to me. Therefore, yes these new 5 spokes have lots of room for airflow, but I don't own an SLR, so I'll never be able to tell you how well it works...

070 tell you what, I'd be willing to take the SLR off of you for some time, test both sets of wheels and let you know the difference. Of course I would hate to risk your life so I'd need to perform long term tests. 1 year should suffice...
I'm also willing to perform such tests on any/all of your other cars as well...

DocG
Old 14th April 2008, 13:36   #141
Team-BHP Support

great cars sheikh 070. just went through the full thread and it just made my day.
Old 14th April 2008, 17:14   #142
Senior - BHPian

I just LOVE the new rims 070.!!
Black rims with chrome lip are my personal fav.
Old 14th April 2008, 17:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Nice new rims on the SLR tjallu. But i prefer the cork screw or the turbine rims that are fitted on the SLR by mercedes as OEM. Paint the rims to a matt black finish and they'll look super hot.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:37   #144
BANNED

DocG and Rehaan: Thanks for your concern about the SLR's brake. But i going to go ahead and believe Mercedes when they tell me i have nothing to worry about. As of now im going to keep the rims on the SLR, I have gotten a lot of positive reviews from the people over here.

Oh and the GT3 RS is back. It was an wiring issue. But now my dad is paranoid about letting me drive it. :(. Ahh well I still have the CGT and the 997 Turbo.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:57   #145
BHPian

Quote:
As of now im going to keep the rims on the SLR, I have gotten a lot of positive reviews from the people over here.
i think the same, they look sooo cool

Quote:
Oh and the GT3 RS is back. It was an wiring issue.
congrats on that one.

Quote:
But now my dad is paranoid about letting me drive it. :(. Ahh well I still have the CGT and the 997 Turbo.
You are one luck guy mate.
cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th April 2008 at 02:07. Reason: u = you, r = are. Please type in full words as per TBHP rules. You have been warned before.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:58   #146
BANNED

Porsche 997 Turbo!

Here's another Porsche from the line-up! Recently purchased on recomendation of a few people. I love the fact that Porsche can soo perfectly combine
luxery on the interior with the rugged looks of the exterior. I am currently in search of the Tech Art kit for the car. Anyone have any details about that.

The first few pictures of the car getting badged with 070 plates in the showroom and then a few of it out in the open. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: The O Seven O Garage-1.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-2.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-3.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-4.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-5.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-6.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-7.jpg  

Pics: The O Seven O Garage-8.jpg  

Old 15th April 2008, 23:07   #147
Senior - BHPian

Your collection is just endless. I am totally willing to buy one of these when they're a little old and grey, as long as I'm not old and grey whilst purchasing them!

Last edited by aniguchisan : 15th April 2008 at 23:11.
Old 15th April 2008, 23:20   #148
BHPian

congrats on the new ride mate.
Old 15th April 2008, 23:48   #149
Senior - BHPian

070 was that your GT3 which had the engine stall issue?

Whats the latest?
Old 16th April 2008, 00:51   #150
Senior - BHPian

My goodness! that's a beauty. Just look at the interiors man! Mind blowing!
@0.7.0: Aggressive look of the exterior?! I always felt Porsche car designs were inspired by frogs! lol
Anyway, congrats on your new ride buddy.
@aniguchisan: Hahahahahaha...that was too good buddy!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks