Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkhalsa View Post
Seems like very valid point ! as Gas prices in US was never a worry in the past but not Now!
You bet! At $3.30 this morning,I have a fun time looking at the gas-guzzling trucks fill up their 18-22gallon tanks. ~ $70-80 a tank! And the Jap cars cost close to 1/2 that amount.
Old 16th April 2008, 20:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

That was a fantastic article, Nitin !! Great fun to read.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
CEO's and MBA's get paid too much without doing any work.
You obviously don't know how much an average auto worker gets paid. Its typically close to or exceeding the pay of an entry-level MBA grad. That's right, they make around 100 grand a year, gross, including all benefits. What does a typical entry-level engineer with a Masters degree earn? About 55 grand a year, gross, including all benefits. So you might as well shove your prejudice down the dustbin.

EDIT: here's the study conducted by Dr. Mark J. Perry, a University of Michigan professor:

CARPE DIEM: Transformational UAW Deal? Accept Professors' Pay

While its on PhD's, most MBA's in middle management earn around the same amount.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 16th April 2008 at 21:40.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:43   #19
BANNED

Like the image attached? Thought picture makes perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Got this as a mail forward. Brutal Reality!
Attached Thumbnails
A Modern Parable.-7895d1207909156officialjokethreadyou.jpg  

Old 16th April 2008, 21:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats so true,Ananth.
Even with a Masters,there's only so much a person can get as a starting salary,and thats usually close to the $55-60K range (thats if its anything apart from biological sciences).
Old 17th April 2008, 00:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
You obviously don't know how much an average auto worker gets paid. Its typically close to or exceeding the pay of an entry-level MBA grad. That's right, they make around 100 grand a year, gross, including all benefits. What does a typical entry-level engineer with a Masters degree earn? About 55 grand a year, gross, including all benefits. So you might as well shove your prejudice down the dustbin.
Seems to be very true as in UK a Plumber easily earn more than or at just par with Trainee doctor !!
And Trainee doctor in UK gets around 2400-2600 Pounds a Month .

I know Plumber in Uk might be one of its case but just this comparison poped up in my mind reading your post!. I am sorry if its OT
Old 17th April 2008, 11:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
And why would that be, if I may ask?
I have seen too many companies run down by ignorant people leading them ( most of them with MBA's ). What happens in the end is that the shareholders get the shaft, while CEO's get a "Golden Handshake". Having an MBA does not mean that you have a magical knowledge of how to lead a company. ( It just means that you are a better saleman, IMO. )
This phenomenon has created an aversion in me towards MBA's, and I do understand that this not true for all.
I also feel that the CEO's should get a "Golden Shower" instead of a "Golden Handshake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
So you might as well shove your prejudice down the dustbin.
It is my prejudice and it is the only thing keeping me warm at night, helping me sleep like a baby.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I have seen too many companies run down by ignorant people leading them ( most of them with MBA's ). What happens in the end is that the shareholders get the shaft, while CEO's get a "Golden Handshake". Having an MBA does not mean that you have a magical knowledge of how to lead a company. ( It just means that you are a better saleman, IMO. )
This phenomenon has created an aversion in me towards MBA's, and I do understand that this not true for all.
I also feel that the CEO's should get a "Golden Shower" instead of a "Golden Handshake"
I would avoid such generalizations and w.r.t MBAs in particular. Anderson was brought down by CAs. So does that mean I develop an allergy towards CAs? There are countless other examples in real world where companies have gone bankrupt and they were not led by MBAs. What about the tech bubble? AFAIK, none of the Silicon Valley guys are typical MBAs. They are all software geeks. Now should I start hating all IT professionals too?

Having an MBA neither means you have any magical powers to run a company, nor does it make you a 'better salesman'. I have my MBA in Strategy and Finance, which are far from sales.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nitin : Ford sells its trucks/SUVs in high numbers,though their sedans go on the lower side.
And the Japanese aren't too far behind with their trucks - both Toyota & Honda are catching up fast.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And the Japanese aren't too far behind with their trucks - both Toyota & Honda are catching up fast.
I think the Toyota Tundra & the Tacoma sell in high numbers. Haven't seen much of the Honda Ridgeline. The Nissan Titan & Frontier are the other popular Jap pick-up trucks.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:55   #26
BANNED

@ananthkamath and others - remember that Incomes of professionals, particularly, MBAs goes up exponentially. Some other thread here was saying something like "number of years' experience multiplied N" was the salary in B'lore. For blue/grey collar workers, it rarely goes up - if if it does, only in tiny increments.
Old 18th April 2008, 21:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Brand Toyota along with Scion and Lexus has pretty much every segment covered here in the US.

Add to that their legendary reliability, relative VFM and excellent MPG figures across the board and you have a sure shot winner.
Looks like you work for Toyota marketing, or you have driven nothing else than a Toyota ever in North America.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 18th April 2008 at 22:01.
Old 19th April 2008, 02:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

parable ki agli generation:
What Could Dull Toyota's Edge

tis a small world brethren
Old 19th April 2008, 02:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
parable ki agli generation:
What Could Dull Toyota's Edge

tis a small world brethren
Intersting article,phamilyman. In the end..what goes around,comes around.
Old 21st April 2008, 11:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes.com
(Employee productivity has also far outpaced wages, rising 15 percent from 2001 through 2007.) Corporate profits have climbed to their highest share of national income in sixty-four years, while the share going to wages has sunk to its lowest level since 1929. “This is the most pronounced several years of labor’s share declining,” said Lawrence Katz, an economics professor at Harvard. “For as long as we’ve had a modern economy, this is the worst we’ve seen it.” Very simply, corporations, along with their CEOs, are seizing a bigger piece of the nation’s economic pie for themselves, leaving the nation’s workers and their families diminished.
Source: New York Times

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks