Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:29   #1

The German Car Scene!!!

Ok guys, sorry that I've been absent for so long but I had a lot to do and a even more on my mind.
A few hours ago I have returned from the "Tuning World Lake Constance" a car and sound fair in Friedrichshafen. It was SOOOOOO cool! I wish I were back there, partying and listening to the Lambo engines. But let us start from the begining.

In Germany we have the TÜV which is a technical inspection every single car has to go through every two years. Without this inspection you are not allowed to drive your car on german streets and the fines are very high. Now what are you NOT allowed to do? Your car may not be too loud (engine or exhaust pipe), no sharp edges (spoilers etc.), no spinners on your tires, no lights which are on the outside of your car or that could shine outside from the inside or blind the driver, the tires must fit the car, every part YOU installed in addition or exchange from the standard car has to be registered to your car and checked if it is safe and hast to have its own technical certificate called an ABE. Besides that there is the normal stuff. Your engine has to be ok, the brakes have to work perfectly, the tread on your tires has to be a minimum of 1.6 millimeters blablabla.... The StVO which is the law book for cars and everything that has to do with cars and streets is a couple hundred pages thick, so go figure.
By now you might ask yourself what you could possibly do to a car in Germany without being busted by the cops. Well.... take a look!
The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00478.jpg

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00466.jpg

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00465.jpg

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00473.jpg

As you can see, you can do about anything to your car. Only you have to invest a lot of money so the parts you use apply to the law and are installed and registered correctly. You have to now your boundaries and the ways around them. For example, you may install every single light on your car you want, as long as they do not work while the car is on the street. So connect them to the car in a way, that as soon the ignition goes on, the lights go off. If you are able to turn on the lights while driving, they are illegal.

Most of the cars on our streets are standard and look quite good because of our high standards. We've got about anything you want, Volkswagen, Opel, Audi, BMW, Mazda, Honda, Suzuki, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Daimler, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Ford, Mitsubishi, Skoda, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Smart and so on... So you can imagine that our car tuning scene also is quite big. You can find car clubs in every small town and places to meet with other tuners. We have fairs you can visit, for example the Car Tuning World Lake Constance or even open meetings with a few thousand visitors all over the country. It is impossible for me to describe everything here, so please just ask the right questions, I will answer as fast as humanly possible!!

Right here I wish to note, that after being at the fair, I decided to sell my car. But I will buy myself the same modell again, only with a bigger engine and only two doors. I want to take out the back seat for my sound system (I will have to have my car registered new because of that!) I would use the car I allready have, but there isn't much you can do to the engine and I don't want to do only bodyworks.

So here my report on the German car scene ends. A few last pictures from Lake Constance (more shall follow) and I hope I will get quite some feedback^^

Enjoy, TheBrother®
Attached Thumbnails
The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00451.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00458.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00462.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00475.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00490-kopie.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00509.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2008, 10:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

those ate great pics brother,but whats with the VW beetle is it still under painjt job procedd ,love the system installs they are hottt..!!
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:10   #3

That Beatle can really rock, it goes over 200 km/h and just looks very much like old school. It also had a wonderful sound system, but I couldn't get close enough for pictures.

TheBrother®
Attached Thumbnails
The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00456.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2008, 13:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very nice Thomas! That was a short yet very clear description of the tough TUV process in Germany!

So you plan to buy an Astra 2.0 Coupe? TD or Petrol? And I think Sam would be very proud of the fact that you plan to remove the rear seat to put in an audio system! Do take some tips from him if you need, he does know a little bit about audio!

As for the cars, most of them look nice but are OTT! The Beetle I presume has a Hydaulic suspension system to raise its ride height once started, right? And is it powered by a Turbo'ed Beetle engine or a different engine, say maybe from a 911?

Last edited by iraghava : 3rd May 2008 at 13:24.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  12776d1209767174germancarscenedsc00473.jpg
Views: 2500
Size:  46.9 KB

HEYY! I can see the Cute JBL Air Freshener Hangy Thingy that many Team-BHPians still have!!

Nice report Thomas. Great Pictures.

P.S. Love the pink modifications on that Lotus or whatever that car is.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd May 2008 at 13:27.
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
P.S. Love the pink modifications on that Lotus or whatever that car is.
Yes thats a Lotus, Sam. Interesting mods! HAhahahahahhaaha
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:45   #7
BHPian

So not many modified exhausts on German "Tuv" certified cars or they shouldnt be "too" loud?
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nice report Thomas. I guess TÜV goes a long way in making the streets safe there, so i can only wish for our authorities learn a trick or two from Germany to make thing effective in India.
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I guess TÜV goes a long way in making the streets safe there
Yes, it really helps keep our streets safe but sometimes it makes tuning a real pain in the ***...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Attachment 12797

HEYY! I can see the Cute JBL Air Freshener Hangy Thingy that many Team-BHPians still have!!
Actually this car was the JBL represantitive on the Tuning World Lake Constance and it really had great sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

So you plan to buy an Astra 2.0 Coupe? TD or Petrol? And I think Sam would be very proud of the fact that you plan to remove the rear seat to put in an audio system! Do take some tips from him if you need, he does know a little bit about audio!
When the time comes I will most likely talk a lot to Sam for information but first I need the car and then I will start doing some bodyworks and boost the engine.
I was thinking about getting a Petrol Astra Coupe but I am not sure yet if 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2... probably 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

As for the cars, most of them look nice but are OTT! The Beetle I presume has a Hydaulic suspension system to raise its ride height once started, right? And is it powered by a Turbo'ed Beetle engine or a different engine, say maybe from a 911?
Okay, this might be so stupid, but was is OTT? Haven't seen that one before.
Yes, the Beetle has a hydraulic suspension system and the engine I believe was a NEW Beetle engine.

Also great at Lake Constance was the low rider show. They had an old VW Bus (12 Batteries, 1450 kg, no engine) which jumped 5 feet from the ground and almost tipped over. Then there was an old Chevy, a New Beetle (16 Batteries, 1700kg, no engine) and a few others. Every year our low rider scene grows and wherever you see these guys there is a huge crowd. Maybe I'll make it to an low rider meeting in north Germany sometime this year...

Be back later,
TheBrother®
Attached Thumbnails
The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00461.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00463.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00464.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00467.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00471.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00472.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00474.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00476.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00489-kopie.jpg  

The German Car Scene!!!-dsc00491.jpg  

Old 5th May 2008, 22:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Gosh!! Thats one helluva car scene!
keep em comin,Thomas.
Old 5th May 2008, 22:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrother® View Post
I was thinking about getting a Petrol Astra Coupe but I am not sure yet if 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2... probably 2.0
Try & get the Coupe with the 2.0 Turbo engine. That way you can boost it up more easily then the NA variants!

Quote:
Okay, this might be so stupid, but was is OTT? Haven't seen that one before.
OTT - Over the top!
Old 6th May 2008, 13:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics Bro. Love those Lambo's and the muscle car.

Interesting looking Elise i must say.
Old 8th May 2008, 01:47   #13
BHPian

Oh man I love that Beetle. The Germans were really on that one.
Old 21st May 2008, 05:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys, sorry that I've been absent for so long but I had a lot to do and a even more on my mind.
A few hours ago I have returned from the "Tuning World Lake Constance" a car and sound fair in Friedrichshafen. It was SOOOOOO cool! I wish I were back there, partying and listening to the Lambo engines. But let us start from the begining.

In Germany we have the TÜV which is a technical inspection every single car has to go through every two years. Without this inspection you are not allowed to drive your car on german streets and the fines are very high. Now what are you NOT allowed to do? Your car may not be too loud (engine or exhaust pipe), no sharp edges (spoilers etc.), no spinners on your tires, no lights which are on the outside of your car or that could shine outside from the inside or blind the driver, the tires must fit the car, every part YOU installed in addition or exchange from the standard car has to be registered to your car and checked if it is safe and hast to have its own technical certificate called an ABE. Besides that there is the normal stuff. Your engine has to be ok, the brakes have to work perfectly, the tread on your tires has to be a minimum of 1.6 millimeters blablabla.... The StVO which is the law book for cars and everything that has to do with cars and streets is a couple hundred pages thick, so go figure.
By now you might ask yourself what you could possibly do to a car in Germany without being busted by the cops. Well.... take a look!
Attachment 12777

Attachment 12775

Attachment 12774

Attachment 12776

As you can see, you can do about anything to your car. Only you have to invest a lot of money so the parts you use apply to the law and are installed and registered correctly. You have to now your boundaries and the ways around them. For example, you may install every single light on your car you want, as long as they do not work while the car is on the street. So connect them to the car in a way, that as soon the ignition goes on, the lights go off. If you are able to turn on the lights while driving, they are illegal.

Most of the cars on our streets are standard and look quite good because of our high standards. We've got about anything you want, Volkswagen, Opel, Audi, BMW, Mazda, Honda, Suzuki, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Daimler, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Ford, Mitsubishi, Skoda, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Smart and so on... So you can imagine that our car tuning scene also is quite big. You can find car clubs in every small town and places to meet with other tuners. We have fairs you can visit, for example the Car Tuning World Lake Constance or even open meetings with a few thousand visitors all over the country. It is impossible for me to describe everything here, so please just ask the right questions, I will answer as fast as humanly possible!!

Right here I wish to note, that after being at the fair, I decided to sell my car. But I will buy myself the same modell again, only with a bigger engine and only two doors. I want to take out the back seat for my sound system (I will have to have my car registered new because of that!) I would use the car I allready have, but there isn't much you can do to the engine and I don't want to do only bodyworks.

So here my report on the German car scene ends. A few last pictures from Lake Constance (more shall follow) and I hope I will get quite some feedback^^

Enjoy, TheBrother®
Buddy, the pics you have posted make me think whether this thread is about the German car scene or the German, car ICE scene.
No offense meant to you though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks