Transmission Six-speed manual
Fuel 52.3mpg (combined)
CO2 141g/km
Acceleration 0-62mph: 9.6sec
Top speed 126mph
Price £19,995
Rating 4/5
Verdict Just as good as its bigger brothers

For less than 19,995 pounds, i can get a VW GTI, Ford Focus RS, Honda Civic Type R......the lot. They all produce 200 or more bhp, have better performance and more space. They'll all hit 60mph in under 7-8 secs and they're not that bad at fuel economy as well.

So, why would anybody buy this?

And yess, when it comes to handling, this is the worst i've ever seen. Stig took it around hammer head (during the worst handling car award test) and.....it never made that turn, the understeer was so intense that even with that huge run off area, Stig still couldn't keep it off the grass.

Shan2nu
Old 20th February 2005, 10:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
And yess, when it comes to handling, this is the worst i've ever seen. Stig took it around hammer head (during the worst handling car award test) and.....it never made that turn, the understeer was so intense that even with that huge run off area, Stig still couldn't keep it off the grass.

Shan2nu
That was the Smart forTwo, not the A Class which the stig ran off the track with

Agreed, it is expensive but it is well made and technically superb and has a lot more space. Agreed the Golf is more fun to drive the the Honda but friend tell me that the Honda is a pain to drive for long journeys. All these cars are different in context so it is like comparing chalk to cheese
Old 20th February 2005, 11:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was the Smart forTwo, not the A Class which the stig ran off the track with
Was that the smart. Oh Ok!!

Quote:
Agreed, it is expensive but it is well made and technically superb and has a lot more space. Agreed the Golf is more fun to drive the the Honda but friend tell me that the Honda is a pain to drive for long journeys. All these cars are different in context so it is like comparing chalk to cheese
The Honda is fun to drive only if you revv the engine. Jason Plato did mention this during the VW Golf GTI test, he said that though the Civic is quick and fun to drive, it loses out due to the lack of torque at low rpms, this is where the Golf (with it's turbo charged engine) excels.

And that direct shift gearbox on it is to die for. There is no lag while shifting gears and they found that the DSG Golf turned out to be quicker than a M/T Golf.

I hear the new Ford Focus will cost 19,995 (he same as the A Class) but, that comes with a 212 bhp turbo charged engine producing 228lb ft. The Civic on the other hand costs a mere 15,995.

I still feel 19,995 is way too expensive for the A class. Especially when you can get a Subaru Impreza WRX for 21,495.

If you're looking for space then you might as well buy an MPV for half the price.

I don't see the point in buying a Diesel A class for 19,995, apart from the fact that it's a merc. I'd rather opt for the 2 ltr Turbo Petrol.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th February 2005 at 12:31.
Old 20th February 2005, 11:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still feel 19,995 is way too expensive for the A class. Especially when you can get a Subaru Impreza WRX for 21,495.

Quote:
I don't see the point in buying a Diesel A class for 19,995, apart from the fact that it's a merc. I'd rather opt for the 2 ltr Turbo Petrol.
That universal difference between young blood and old type
Old 20th February 2005, 11:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That universal difference between young blood and old type
But isn't it funny that even after all these differences me n Ajmat drive the same car? LOL

Shan2nu
Old 20th February 2005, 11:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But isn't it funny that even after all these differences me n Ajmat drive the same car? LOL
Who told you that Ajmat falls on the old's catagory in driving style?
I'm the only one who's currently holding that position.
Old 20th February 2005, 18:44   #8
BHPian

I am actually not too surprised. Even though Mercedes has come under a lot of critique recently, they have improved their standards over the past few models. The CLS was praised for its above par interiors, something which recent mercs have been critizised for. The A-Class was given a thumbs-up from all journos for its excellent mixture of class, comfort and drive when they tested the pre-production models a few months back. AND the SLK is also praised for its perfect combination of innovation, appeal, drive and interior. The only major thing left to see now is the reliability on the new cars. That honestly can only be found out after maybe some model is driven for around another 10000 miles.
Old 21st February 2005, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shan2nu, though you may not agree, you tend to put too much focus on performance. A car is not all about 0-100 A car is much much more than that, like safety, comfort, ride etc. etc.

Merc is a trend-setter, they were the best car makers and arguably still are (barring recent quality issues). It is not for nothing that they charge such a high premium for their cars (and still manage to sell their cars).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks