Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:40   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If an Indian company can buy Jaguar & Land Rover, why not Chinese ownership for the iconic Hummer? The East is emerging, better watch out!
I think you have missed the point. The Yanks are scared of the 'Commies', esp. in their parlance of the Ye***w variety. We are considered neutral to friendly. Also, JLR has no major military overtones. Incidentally, you missed out Corus!

Also,HumVee was and is essentially US Army personnel carrier. So how will they accept a army mainstay in Chinese hands. I remember a fried quoting that a typical Redneck, who ran the lab he worked in had the refrain "No Chi%ks and Chic@nos in my lab".
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also,HumVee was and is essentially US Army personnel carrier. So how will they accept a army mainstay in Chinese hands. I remember a fried quoting that a typical Redneck, who ran the lab he worked in had the refrain "No Chi%ks and Chic@nos in my lab".
When GM started selling the "civilian" Humvee (H-1),only the first ones' came off of the military lines or so I heard.AM General sold the Hummer brand to GM.

The military Humvee is still being manufactured by AM General and is not related to GM.

Cheers

Last edited by Ajay : 3rd June 2009 at 22:23.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:34   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
The military Humvee is still being manufactured by AM General and is not related to GM.
Thanks for updating me. I always thought the Hummer (as the HumVee is called) was a part of the Hummer brand!!
Old 4th June 2009, 10:28   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes if an Indian company can buy Jaguar and Land Rover of course a Chinese company can buy Hummer. it is good in a way - rather than let a big brand/ product die,owing to financial crisis and so on, at least it can get resurrected. The Sun rises in the East and all that!
Old 4th June 2009, 12:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks for updating me. I always thought the Hummer (as the HumVee is called) was a part of the Hummer brand!!
HMMWV is the up-armoured military "Humvee" & Hummer was a GM brand. The Humvee & the Hummer had fairly nothing in common other than the body style. The only exception to this would have to be the H1 I suppose.

Cheers
Old 9th June 2009, 15:00   #81
BHPian

Ok so who bought Hummer? Any news?
Old 9th June 2009, 15:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

wish hummer was picked up by M&M

would have complimented thier long term goals very well, esp its entry into the us and am pretty sure hummers would have done pretty well in india under m&m, also the would have helped in the development of the future m&m vehicles.

also in the process would have helped them in thier legal issues with jeep, a simple switch to the hummer look would have solved everything, as now they would have a parallel lineage to depend on.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that the chinese government did not approve the hummer purchase. Let me see if i can find a link.

EDIT: Found the link

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 9th June 2009 at 22:01.
Old 12th June 2009, 12:48   #84
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Is selling Hummer Moral??- New York Times

The New York Times Ethicist blog asks today whether GM selling Hummer is the right thing to do. They state that the honorable thing should be to kill it. The Ethicist asks "instead of selling this massive, ecologically destructive gas guzzler, should G.M. have it sent to the scrap heap?"
Old 16th June 2009, 18:41   #85
BANNED

The GM- Tengzhong deal is expected to secure more than 3,000 U.S. jobs in manufacturing, engineering and at Hummer dealerships around the country. The transaction also includes plans by the investor to aggressively fund future Hummer product programs, which has been revealed today will include new models and alternative powertrains.

Tengzhong boss Yang Yi has disclosed that he has no plans to take Hummer technology or equipment from the U.S. to China, though he will be growing the brand internationally. He also plans to keep the current Hummer management team on board to make sure the products live up to the Hummer standard for quality and design.

Speaking with Automotive News, Hummer Jim Taylor also revealed that Tengzhong will retain Hummer’s 150 U.S. dealerships but will have difficulty in meeting the country’s tough new fuel economy measures.

To comply with the 2016 fleet-wide 35.5 mpg standard, Taylor confirmed that there will be some product changes. "You'll see a broader lineup. That means more models and alternative powertrains that meet the federal regulations," he explained. One of these new models could be an entry lever H3, which has been speculated on since 2007.

To oversee the changes Tengzhong will keep Taylor on as CEO but it’s unclear if the company will base its headquarters in the U.S. or China. Hummer will also continue to contract vehicle manufacturing and business services from GM during a defined transitional time period once the sale takes place. Yi was clear, however, in stating that there will be no bifurcation of the brand. "There will not be a China Hummer and a U.S. Hummer," said Yang. "There is only one Hummer."

Last edited by Bumblebee86 : 16th June 2009 at 18:42.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:49   #86
BANNED

General Motors and China’s Sichuan Tengzhong enter into a definitive agreement

American-based auto maker General Motors has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement with China’s Sichuan Tengzhong over the sale of Hummer. The definitive agreement indicates that a sale is inevitable. The Chinese company will take over Hummer via an investment company, which it would have an 80% stake in. The remaining 20% would be held by Suolang Duoji, a Hong Kong-based private entrepreneur.
Under the terms of the final agreement, Sichuan Tengzhong will own the Hummer brand, trademark and tradenames, as well as other specific IP license rights necessary for producing Hummer vehicles.
Furthermore, the Chinese company will also get manufacturing, key components and business services from the American seller during a transitional time period. During the period, General Motors’ Shreveport plant, will for example, continue to contract assemble the H3 and H3T models while AM General’s Mishawaka assembly plant will continue to assemble the H2, both until June 2011. Sichuan Tengzhong would also have the option to extend the contract until June 2012.
Once its a done deal, Hummer would become the first automaker to feature alternative fuel powertrains in every model. The auto brand is also in the midst of obtaining emissions certification for a diesel H3 that will be sold in markets outside of North America.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Chinese Bummer.. err. Hummer

1) Now my Cj340 will surely beat a Ch-Ummer.
2) Guys who bought a fortuner for 18~ Lacs would go since the Chummer may be priced at 15.5~

3) Anti-national elements Cheer - instead of using 25Kg of C4, you can do a savings of 10Kgs to blow a 10MM thinner chassis.

4) Will it be available in Majestic area of blore, Hongkong or burma bazaar?

5) Will Sipani do a El-Premier Group to Bring the Chummer into India?
Old 13th October 2009, 11:35   #88
BANNED

China says Hummer paperwork not submitted yet

Last week, it was reported that General Motors had signed a definitive agreement to sell Hummer to Chinese machinery manufacturer Tengzhong. The Chinese company and its partner in the deal, Lumena Resources Corp., would pay $150 million and receive Hummer and its intellectual property, ownership of U.S. franchise agreements, and manufacturing, business, and component assistance during a four- or five-year transition period.

The questions being raised now concern what is happening on the other side of the Pacific. The Chinese Commerce Ministry reportedly hasn't received Tengzhong's application to officially bring Hummer home, which has led observers to wonder if there will be a holdup or reversal of the deal. According to a Hummer representative, however, Tengzhong had to finalize the deal with GM before it could present it for approval to the Chinese authorities:

The closing of the transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals and/or review by agencies in China and the U.S. Tengzhong has started communicating with the relevant regulatory bodies and will continue to support the application process in accordance with the requirements. Formal engagement was only able to begin with the signing of the definitive agreement.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:37   #89
BHPian

Re: GM considers selling Hummer. EDIT : Sold to a Chinese Company

The deal with Sichuan Tengzhong fell through in 2010. Hummer is still a GM brand, and American too.

Hummer production has been completely shut down since early 2009.

As of this moment, Autotrader is showing 154 Hummers within 100 miles of my zip code for sale by owners or dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks