Team-BHP - Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/40893-fabric-car-bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-revealed.html)

Now here is something revolutionary. Car made from FABRIC!!...BMW's latest has thrown the rule books for car making haywire with this concept.

follow these

YouTube - BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: Premiere

also

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model Concept Car Revealed

WOAH !! loved this idea, amazing,
loved the way the headlights, brake lights worked, also the way the form changed and also the way the skin like hood was pulled back to reveal the engine... felt so alive ... alien in a way :eek:
i am impressed

Wow I cant stop looking at the video. Really far from production though. :(

BMW has created a concept car called the GINA Light Visionary Model, which takes a seamless, plastic-coated lycra material, and stretches it over a metal frame with moving parts — allowing for the car to have shape-shifting properties. The shape of the body can be changed without tearing or loosening the fabric, and the steering wheel, gauges and headrest all move into place after you sit down in the car.

Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_07_2.jpg

The car is based off a 4.4-liter Z8 with a six-speed automatic transmission. The body is comprised of just four panels — hood, sides and rear — and the material is water resistant. As far as shape-shifting goes, the car can alter things like adding or removing a spoiler, or widening fenders.

Sources:

Gizmodo (Dont forget to watch the video there!!!)

Wired

Jalopnik

wow, neat stuff . but then i guess this might just not withstand the stringent safety norms. the crash tests etc :) nice find there!

According to the video, they say that crash, handling etc can be handled without the skin using their space-frame tye vehicle. So I guess the frame can handle impacts. :Shockked:

Small heads up. Please do not miss the video.

Here is a youtube video of the same.

Imagine redesigning your car on the run. Imagine a spoiler rise out..... wow. :Shockked:

More Pics...

Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_06_2.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_02.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_05.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_01.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_04.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_08.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_09.jpg
Fabric Car - The BMW GINA Light Visionary Model revealed-bmw_gina_12.jpg

Cool find buddie.Ingenious idea and what a flow on the body lines.very good find.
ram

Can you imagine how fast this must go? That car must be damn light!!!
Power to weight ratio must be insanse. :p
So they can use a smaller powerplant to get the same performance as in heavier cars. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by srijit (Post 862598)
Can you imagine how fast this must go? That car must be damn light!!!
Power to weight ratio must be insanse. :p
:D

And if you need more power to weight ratio you can simply shed your clothes :D

Thats an interesting concept!

Just wondering. Is this cloth so stuff to prevent thieves from tearing their way in? :eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 862617)

:uncontrol

First Laura wears metal cups like a dominatrix, now Gina wears a lycra catsuit. Is there a message here that I'm not getting? lol

Some of my first thoughts...
  1. Flying machines have had fabric stretched over a skeletal frame for aons. Nothing new in twisting the beams and spars of a wing, (or a tailplane) stretching its fabric skin to alter the aerodynamics, whilst in flight. This has been used a long time on hang gliders and ultralights
  2. In that context, this is just, yet another instance of how technology initiatives applied to vehicles that fly: aircraft,
    eventually find their flow-- not unlike a paint run -- over to more mundane vehicles that cannot: cars
  3. I am bowled over by the way the skin eyelids open to reveal the headlamps. Kewl!
  4. And I am utterly impressed by the theme suggested by Chris Bangle: Context Over Dogma!
Ram

I guess this is one of the most significant car concepts in a long time. IF THIS IS THE FUTURE BRING IT OWN!!

@ RAM / ASHWIN .. thanks
@ SRIJIT thanks for bringing the link live to the thread!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 862682)
First Laura wears metal cups like a dominatrix, now Gina wears a lycra catsuit. Is there a message here that I'm not getting? lol

Yeah. The message is "Get your mind out of the gutter" lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 862617)

I am sure that for many of us that would be of little use. Also imagine the visual pollution that will arise.... On second thought, dont try to visualize that image. Its too horrendous. :D

Mods: Thanks for the thread merge. Didnt think of looking for it in this forum.

Wow looks quite classy. And Chris Bangle's choice of words in the youtube video said it all.

I like the way BMW think about their future models. Keep it coming.