Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 06:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?

Honda launched the FCX Clarity internationally yesterday, 16th June 2008. Already various papers are praising it as the arrival of the future, and the first batch of vehicles are to be delivered to few celebrities (who prefer to be on the greener side of the media)

The car is quite an achievement. It runs 620 kms in a single re-fueling, and does a top speed of 160 kmph and Honda claims the only thing coming out of the exhaust will be water vapour.

Quote:
"Fuel-cell vehicles, which don't use fossil fuels and don't produce carbon dioxide, are necessary for the environment. We would like to make them more popular," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui
Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?-stylef10_0_lg.jpg

Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?-styles10_0_lg.jpg

Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?-inpane_lg.jpg

Honda makes fuel-cell car | Reuters

Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle - Official Web Site
Old 17th June 2008, 10:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its shocking! The car would take in hydrogen and only emession will be water vapour ?! Its certainly greener than Hybrids. The car looks good too.
And its officially available. A good move for sure.
Lets see what long term are the reviews of the car.
Old 17th June 2008, 10:42   #3
BHPian

Pictures of production line for FCX.

Honda Worldwide | June 16, 2008 "Production Begins for the New FCX Clarity Fuel Cell Vehicle"

Source: Honda Worldwide

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 17th June 2008 at 10:43.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:04   #4
BHPian

In my opinion, the best looking Honda till date and a complete Hybrid to boot. An unbeatable package.
Is this launched in India as well? If yes, what is the cost?
Old 17th June 2008, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, the best looking Honda till date
There have been better looking Hondas' including our own OHC not to mention the Legend, S2000, CRX Del-Sol et all. But that's my personal opinion.
But agreed that being a fuel cell powered car it's awesome.

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 17th June 2008 at 12:06.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
In my opinion, the best looking Honda till date and a complete Hybrid to boot. An unbeatable package.
I dont think that this car is coming soon to India. Civic Hybrid is coming by CBU route and it is already costing around 20lakh. This one will be above that. And where to fill in Hydrogen ?
Old 17th June 2008, 12:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice front end. But the side profile is soo NHC (i.e Yuck!!). In any case, a good move by Honda in productionising a hydrogen powered car. I guess they are the first in the world to do so!!
Old 17th June 2008, 12:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
No. Its only for the Japanese and Amercian market, as of now, if i read correctly. I don't think we have the infrastructure for filling hydrogen, even in the major cities.

But, by the way things are moving, future is going to come sooner than we expect!
Old 17th June 2008, 12:38   #9
BHPian

Even in US it's limited to the southern California. Not sure if you can buy it. Most likely only available on lease. $600 a month and restrictions on where you can drive it.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great move by Honda. Does look good. Except that plastic part under the front grille. Not sure what it is.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure it'l be great as a car but i really didn't like the side profile!!! I can understand they are trying to make it look futuristic but atleast make it look proportionate.

Front looks great though.

Shan2nu
Old 17th June 2008, 15:22   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This news comes across as bitter-sweet to me. Its awesome because Honda is experimenting with alternative sources of energy. Leasing cars out to customers has several benefits; real world testing with real world users, the layman gets an opportunity to experience future technology and last but not the least, its a massive boost (green green green) to Honda's image. Unlike the weirdo Insight, the FCX clarity looks much like a regular sedan. Honda obviously made notes on the Prius' success.

However, there are substantial doubts over hydrogen's applicability as fuel to the everyday passenger car. Honda has limited the FCX run to only about 200 in the near future; that tells me this is only a test rather than an indication of things to come.

Dont get me wrong...this is a mega moment. Full marks to Honda for such significant R&D on alternatives to petrol / diesel / CNG etc. Unless we experiment, we will never realise.
Old 17th June 2008, 19:20   #13
BHPian

Hey,

Its a nie car n all. But arent hydrogen cars dangerous?? I mean im not against hydrogen cars n all but in the future when they become common, what if there is an accident, Hydrogen leak??

Last edited by funkydevil : 17th June 2008 at 19:22.
Old 6th March 2013, 08:34   #14
BHPian

Re: Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?

Now this article claims that Hyundai rolls out first mass produced hydrogen car. They expect the consumer production to start after 2015.

So I didn't quite understand, what they mean by "first mass produced hydrogen car" - A. Others like Honda have produced such cars before. B. What do they mean they have "mass production" but "consumer production" will be after 2015?

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...-cars-roll-out

Last edited by mayuresh : 6th March 2013 at 08:35.
Old 29th October 2015, 11:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda FCX clarity launched. World's first hydrogen fuel cell production car?

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...29102015026035
Quote:
Honda rolls out fuel cell sedan Clarity, to take on Toyota's Mirai
Tokyo:

Honda has traditionally been looked upon as a manufacturer of plain-jane, dependable and efficient cars by ordinary buyers unaware of the company's racing circuits pedigree or prowess in pathbreaking -often futuristic -automotive technologies. But, all that could change with Clarity , a fuel cell sedan meant for everyday use by ordinary people. The Japanese giant used the 44th Tokyo Auto Show here as a platform for global premiere of the latest offering from its innovation stable.
“At Honda, we think over and over again. We embody our original ideas with our innovative technologies. We do not let go of our ideas and passion without trying something. We pursue things all the way to the end and break through the conventional thinking or past precedents,“ Hon da Motors CEO Takahiro Hachigo said, while introducing the FCV , among several other products, at the auto show that began on Wednesday .

Honda Clarity ups the ante in the zero-emission FCV market, a still-evolving niche that has the potential of turning into the technology of future, by taking on Toyota's Mirai that has gone on sale in select Californian markets in the US with reportedly 2,000 pre-bookings.

Honda Clarity comfortably seats five passengers and offers driving experience of a normal sedan. It is propelled by high-output electric motors that are powered by a mill under the hood which generates electricity using hydrogen stored in tanks. It has a cruising range of more than 700 km. In times of natural disasters, the car can also become a backup power plant when coupled with an external power feeding inverter -called Power Exporter 9000 and looks like household Honda generators -and can supply electricity to a normal household for a week.

Both Clarity and Power Exporter 9000 will go on sale in March 2016, starting with Japan. In the first year, Honda will lease the car to government bodies and big businesses in Japan -an idea that may also appeal to India's Central and state governments that are pushing to cut emission but run a huge fleet of poorly-maintained vehicles guzzling fuel worth crores of rupee daily .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks