Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 22:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
these figures should be taken with a pinch of salt,most manufacturers overstate how fast their cars are, will have to wait for it to be tested by the magazines like autocar etc.But with 550 hp it should be bloody fast, faster than a m5 though
Well I almost agree, but i think in this case GM is known to not overstate but understate their achievements..look at the Z06..its the same thing for this caddy..

also look at the newly release ZR-1 numbers and you will think GM is pulling a fast one on the stats, the car would be much more capable than GM is claiming it is..
Old 19th June 2008, 06:44   #17
BHPian

This car has the same LS9 engine from the new Corvette ZR-1 with a stripped down Eaton supercharger, hence the 556 horses. If GM wanted they could have gone with the full 638 horses, but they decided on a "mellowed down" version instead (NVH, fuel economy issues in a sedan).

I think it's a tremendous effort by GM and since the CTS-V is already raced in the touring car series, it comes as no surprise to me. And all those people raving about M5 and AMG sedans better check the price to performance ratio.

And why on earth would anyone consider top speed while comparing lap times on the Ring? How many times do you actually cross 170-180 mph on a proper circuit? If you want plain top speed, get the Bentley Continental GT (~200 mph) at more than twice the price.

Also, Motor Trend is a very respectable auto magazine in North America, and I do not see any discrepancies in their reporting. Also there's like a million websites on the interweb confirming the lap time by the CTS-V (Google Search).

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 19th June 2008 at 06:45.
Old 19th June 2008, 07:12   #18
BHPian

Top speed is only an added bonus to the car.I dont think it determines how good the car is.I feel build quality,handling,lap times are far more decisive.Plus i feel this cadillac will take this spot for no more than 3 or 4 months before the germans break hell loose again!
Old 19th June 2008, 09:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Well I almost agree, but i think in this case GM is known to not overstate but understate their achievements..look at the Z06..its the same thing for this caddy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
This car has the same LS9 engine from the new Corvette ZR-1 with a stripped down Eaton supercharger, hence the 556 horses. If GM wanted they could have gone with the full 638 horses, but they decided on a "mellowed down" version instead.
^
I Agree.

Here is the Ring lap.

Testing at Milford,MI.Check the engine note.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

BMW G-Power Hurricane

Speed king is the G-Power BMW M5 Hurricane RS that managed to reach a top speed of 365,7 km/h. The previous record held by the Merc was 362.4km/h. The official record of the G-Power BMW M5 Hurricane RS has been set on the Papenburg test track and is certified by the ATP.
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest production sedan ever?-03.jpg  

Fastest production sedan ever?-05.jpg  

Old 1st January 2009, 00:33   #21
BHPian

What an awesome ride that G-Power M5 is.The previous record was held by CLS Brabus Rocket.730 hp in your face!
Old 1st January 2009, 01:50   #22
BHPian

Heh, as always, people have a little trouble stomaching the fact that a new kid is on the block.
This caddy is nothing like its predecessors, and it'll out perform the M sedan's from BMW in almost every area, while still being more comfortable and cheaper.
Do not underestimate the CTS-V.
Old 1st January 2009, 04:35   #23
BHPian

You guys also do realize that G Power and AMG are aftermarket tuners, whereas the CTS-V comes in factory tune from Cadillac (or GM), and hence also carries the standard factory warranty and you can buy it from a dealership anywhere in North America.

So who knows what some lunatic tuner might do to it in future. There's a lot more you can squeeze out of that LS9 block.
Old 1st January 2009, 11:25   #24
BHPian

This one might break Steer's resolve to not buy another car.. Steer - you seeing this??
Old 1st January 2009, 11:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
You guys also do realize that G Power and AMG are aftermarket tuners, whereas the CTS-V comes in factory tune from Cadillac (or GM), and hence also carries the standard factory warranty and you can buy it from a dealership anywhere in North America.

So who knows what some lunatic tuner might do to it in future. There's a lot more you can squeeze out of that LS9 block.
AMG is not aftermarket, I think you might have ment the Brabus.
Old 1st January 2009, 13:09   #26

Is this a Scale Model?? Coz it certainly looks like one!!
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
AMG is not aftermarket, I think you might have ment the Brabus.
Yeah I meant Brabus.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:57   #28
BHPian

Guys i suppose its time people stopped dropping there jaws regarding top speeds.

It is something nobody other than professional test drivers (because they have the license and the tracks to do so) can achieve. Its an illusion which caught americans in their big block v8 era's. it seems they have learned things finally that top speeds are of no use.

If anyone wants to have fun in their car then fast roads and tracks are the only option and neither will help you reach 300kph+ for even a couple of seconds.

So going around a track in the fastest way possible is the best way of judging how fast can you drive your car to the office when you are late.

Also can Brabus, Karmann, G Power, AC Schnitzer, etc. explain why they have not tried to smash the Nurburgring Norschleife track record with their top speed breaking cars.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

Here comes another one. 225mph at Bonneville.
Souped up XFR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks