Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

stupid idea.

rumble strips work very well, and they don't cause any crash. here I see them installed before bridges, tunnels, and on shoulders to alert drivers.

i guess same will work on normal roads just before speed limit signpost. I remember somewhere they came up with rumblers with specific speed limits beyond which they become really annoying for drivers.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...eStrip510B.jpg

Innovative Traffic Control Devices for Improving Safety at Rural Short-Term Maintenance Work Zones - FHWA Work Zone

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 19th June 2008 at 21:48.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2008, 10:02   #17
BHPian

Hmmm,its a pretty lame idea.Might work once,but after that people will realise and continue to go.Why cant they just put a normal hump?
Old 20th June 2008, 22:07   #18
BHPian

What an amusing concept, reminds me of scarecrows! Eventually, the "birds" will learn to ignore them.
GTO - Touring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Good idea must say especially after seeing the state of speed breakers in India which you think are invisible until you get to close to them. However a better idea would be make to multiple speed breakers of a smaller height, don't know why don't we see these anymore, used to see a lot of these on highways earlier. IMHO these these type of speed breakers are the best as they serve the real purpose of reducing speed without getting you airborne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
stupid idea.

rumble strips work very well, and they don't cause any crash. here I see them installed before bridges, tunnels, and on shoulders to alert drivers.

i guess same will work on normal roads just before speed limit signpost. I remember somewhere they came up with rumblers with specific speed limits beyond which they become really annoying for drivers.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...eStrip510B.jpg

Innovative Traffic Control Devices for Improving Safety at Rural Short-Term Maintenance Work Zones - FHWA Work Zone
As I mentioned earlier why don't we use rumble strips here in India instead of those atrocious speedbreakers a.k.a car breakers. They would be cheaper to build and would cause better retardation without any major damage to the car.

Vivek are the rumble strips in the first link used to deter people from changing lanes abruptly ? Haven't seen them in India as of yet. Imagine if we had these here, they would teach the call centre cabs and the pizza delivery bikes a thing or two about lane discipline.

Last edited by revvedup : 23rd June 2008 at 22:23.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users. Also avoid using excessive dots..........like............this.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2008 at 12:47.
ac 427 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2008, 22:28   #21
BANNED

Illusions can't fool a keen eye. My suggestion would to post a very visible 'Humps Ahead' sign, with no humps at all. Drivers will be attentive and try look out for humps.
Old 14th February 2009, 14:25   #22
BANNED

Few pictures to illustrate:

Optical illusions as Speed Breakers !!!-image001.jpg
-
Optical illusions as Speed Breakers !!!-image002.jpg
-
Optical illusions as Speed Breakers !!!-image003.jpg

People slow down and try to "straddle" the hole, then breath a sign of relief they completely cleared it!

This is actually a speed control device that is in use. And it is much cheaper than speed cameras.
diabloo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2009, 14:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

diabloo,
The latest pics that you have uploaded are from some ad ?

I assume its an ad for Pioneer Suspension or whatever I could read on that road. All these illusions will work only for the 1st time. Say you have "humps ahead" and no humps. And our Govt one fine day decides on introduce them! Crash trash and bang!
Old 19th March 2013, 13:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Optical illusions as Speed Breakers !!!

Bangalore Police trying something similar, but for traffic management:
Quote:
You’re all set to tear through the red light but stop suddenly on spotting a traffic policeman, arms folded, staring down at you.

Only then do you realise that the lawman is not human, but a life-size cut-out.

This is the traffic police’s novel way of stopping violators on their tracks at junctions across the city.
Optical illusions as Speed Breakers !!!-16bgcty43_1396648e.jpg
Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4513270.ece
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 14:26   #25
BHPian

BHPians from Chennai. Didn't the chennai traffic police have a circle on the road with a white man painted on the road everywhere there was a accidental death. This must have been a decade back. Didn't see them when i went last year though.

I guess thats meant to scare the drivers and pedestrians and was effective to some extent.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:44   #26
BANNED

This was tried in the UK as a series of stripes with varying spacing to slow down traffic at bad junctions in the 70's. The problem is that the locals and regulars get used to it pretty fast and then ignore it.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
BHPians from Chennai. Didn't the chennai traffic police have a circle on the road with a white man painted on the road everywhere there was a accidental death. This must have been a decade back. Didn't see them when i went last year though.

I guess thats meant to scare the drivers and pedestrians and was effective to some extent.
Yes I have noticed them a while ago. But now that the city is undergoing the metro rail construction in various places and the roads have either been dug up where work is in progress or being re-laid at places the work is over , these paintings on the roads have gone.
It actually made me to be more attentive when we come across such a painting on road.
Old 6th May 2016, 13:47   #28
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Is this true?

3D Zebra Crossing in India ?

Source : https://twitter.com/nitin_gadkari/st...34865942806528

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2016 at 22:39. Reason: Posts moved from the Accidents thread. Thanks!
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Is this true ?
I think this is already implemented in Nagpur.

Edit: And this one in Gujarat,
http://www.mensxp.com/special-featur...n-gujarat.html

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2016 at 22:39. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 6th May 2016, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Is this true?
I have seen a couple of these in Mehsana and Kallol towns in Gujarat. I am sure these will slow first-timers down, but for the people who frequent the roads, once the novelty dies down - I am sure they will stop being the deterrent they are intended to be.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2016 at 22:39. Reason: Quoted post edited.
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks