Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 09:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

The DeLorean returns - Back to The Future!

Anyone who was around in the early '80s has watched the Back to the Future trilogy at some point in their lives.

Who can forget the stainless steel body and the gull-wing doors of the De Lorean DMC-12 time machine that zipped young Marty & Dr. Brown's mad scientist to the past, future and back.

The De Lorean Motor Company - a short-lived venture founded by John Delorean was founded in 1975, till it went bankrupt in 1982. They made the star of the Back to the Future series - the DeLorean DMC-12

After the company dissolved, a number of independant entities popped up to provide service and parts for the cars but one enterprising division, namely, the DeLorean Motor Company (DMC), Texas ended up having the largest stock of whatever original parts, designs, etc. that were left behind.

Over the years, they've provided service, parts and restoration for existing cars and now they're heading towards production with a limited-run stated to begin sometime in 2008.

With only 130bhp, it wasn't the fastest but that sleek 1980's ruler styling and the unpainted body definitely left a mark on my mind.

The new car is expected to produce around 200bhp and will be sold at $57,000. This isn't super-car territory, and it's steep for a 25 year old car but it's not steep for something that made teenagers drool during it's lifetime.
It does get modern plumming though -> a new chassis, all your funky goodies including navigation and iPod connectivity!

The car is light (around 1250kg) and that should lead to 0-60mph times of around 5-6 seconds, which is pretty good even today.
Engine and suspension upgrades will take it further, faster.

I'm a retro buff, and I'm going to be looking forward to one of these beauties zipping by on the freeway sometime. Hell, I'd love to own one!

Check out myridevideo's review on YouTube ->

More information here:
Wikipedia - De Lorean Motor Company and Google - delorean.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2008, 09:58   #2
BHPian

The article came in this months issue of top gear magazine.Nice car.
Old 6th July 2008, 17:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing this car in Mumbai. Yes Mumbai had a Delorean and I have seen it and sat in it (stationary). As all cars were this one was also silver (or rather Aluminium) coloured.
I remember seeing it in What was the Apex Garage at Worli where my family's cars would go for repairs. Over the years I had formed a sort of an affectionate bond with the owner Mr. Sethna who since the closure of the garage moved to Pune.
I was a teenager back then and very much interested in learning about how cars are repaired, I would visit his garage, whether or not my cars were nestling in his garage. I remember him tinkering over many an exotic car like some of Mr. Bhogilal's vast collection, Rolls, Bentleys, and one car I remember was the Matra Simca Bagheera with a centre driving position.
Coming back to the Delorean, this was a car with probably Saudi plates as the plates were in Arabic and a young Shiekh would be driving it. I had the good fortune of being seated in the drivers seat when the car was stationed in the garage.
I also saw the same gent a little later in red a BMW M1, with Arabic plates zooming on Marine Drive. Futile as it was, i did try to chase it, mistaking it for a ferrari, in my 1968 Impala and was soon rediced to a spec in his rear view mirror.
I also remember seeing Dr. Ceasari Rossis Immaculate 1968 Ferrari in Apex Garage. The car was taken back to Italy by his wife, after his demise.
After that day i never spotted the Delorean or the M1 again.
A little later when the construction boom took over in the early nineties, Apex garage was also gone.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2008, 20:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Those are some nice memories V-16! I wish i had that much luck! During my early teens i was mesmerised by this Back To The Future car and i was a great fan of that movie trilogy too.
Old 6th July 2008, 22:34   #5
BANNED

I'm a big noob in this thread it seems. And I'm still wondering how does one go back to future! :

Gogi's post actually opened my eyes (or was it closed?) and even I was mesmerized for a while before my phone rang.

Will be really looking forward to this amazing manufacturer and it's great (back to..) future.
Old 6th July 2008, 22:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I'm a big noob in this thread it seems. And I'm still wondering how does one go back to future! :
well for one you need a flux capacitor. and you need to be at 78 (or something) miles per hour.
Old 7th July 2008, 00:58   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well for one you need a *flux* capacitor.
Oh! So, these cars came with some good ICE too? Wow!
Now, I'm going to subscribe to this thread and keep waiting for more details.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
and you need to be at 78 (or something) miles per hour.
Wrong. You must reach 88 mph!! Man, I love the Back to the Future series and the car. Loved the car's simple retro lines, gull-wing doors and the time travel modifications. It looked very sci-fi. I watched the movie sometime after 2003 I guess and I had never guessed it would be a movie from the 80s.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

I once ran circles around a Delorean in my lowly sedan (don't remember which one), may be Chevy Malibu.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...rare-cars.html

He was driving slow, that's how I could run circles around it.
Old 7th July 2008, 13:28   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some parts of history should stay just there! I am not too excited about DeLorean's being available again. What did the car offer in the 80's? Lacklustre performance, poor fit & finish and poor reliability. What will a car, that was subpar in the 80's, offer in 2008 for a whopping $60,000! Its not like it has any heritage either. That kind of money can buy you a 'Vette, a Porsche, a used Ferrari...

Again, some things are best left in the past.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I remember seeing this car in Mumbai. Yes Mumbai had a Delorean and I have seen it and sat in it (stationary).

I remember was the Matra Simca Bagheera with a centre driving position.

I also saw the same gent a little later in red a BMW M1, with Arabic plates zooming on Marine Drive.
Gogi, come to Pune we'll do some catching up with Mr Setna. He'll be delighted to meet you again. And there was a Matra Bagheera too?! It doesnt get more exotic than that!

My uncle too had seen this DeLorean years back, I never believed him till you confirmed its existence. I remember hearing about the M1 too, it went back as it couldnt take the harsh roads apparently.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

This one was used in the movie
The DeLorean returns - Back to The Future!-198024930_dagnhl.jpg
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 02:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

According to Scooby there was an M1 in Bombay owned by Adi Dubhash during the 80's too. It was spotted by him multiple times.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This one was used in the movie
Attachment 27130

There are a couple that were used in the movie , they are now displayed at a few Universal Studio's theme parks like in Los Angeles and Orlando. However where did the DMC badge in the pictured car go?

Last edited by 1100D : 8th July 2008 at 06:40.
Old 8th July 2008, 07:47   #15
Team-BHP Support

I don't have much info on DeLoreans but a buddy here said:

"Deloreans? Had a mid-engine Renault V6 as I recall. Never really thought that much of 'em, except that the John Delorean cocain scandal was delightfully 1980's...."

Most Viewed