Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 18:27   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
First offence of over speeding is a misdemeanor and does not attract arrest penalty.
AFAIK, if its overspeeding by a huge margin, then arrest is on the spot.
Old 25th July 2008, 20:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
People are so gung-ho about US implementing 55mph on the Interstates. So many are presenting such pressing arguments, my my... I am really impressed. And yet when they see cops on the bangalore mysore highway fining people for driving at 70 kmph they go berserk and open threads here on the board, condemning the high-handed, corrupt cops and imbecile governments.

Why this double standard folks?
President Abdul Kalam used to be mighty pissed off with this attitude of Indians. Indians who become amazingly law abiding when they go out, Indians who do not throw a piece of paper on the roads of singapore, Indians who praise the systems in other countries..but in their own country, why this I-don't-care attitude? I remember reading his speeches and then turning the spotlight on myself - it was an uncomfortable experience, no doubt.
Old 26th July 2008, 09:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
People are so gung-ho about US implementing 55mph on the Interstates. So many are presenting such pressing arguments, my my... I am really impressed. And yet when they see cops on the bangalore mysore highway fining people for driving at 70 kmph they go berserk and open threads here on the board, condemning the high-handed, corrupt cops and imbecile governments.

Why this double standard folks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
President Abdul Kalam used to be mighty pissed off with this attitude of Indians. Indians who become amazingly law abiding when they go out, Indians who do not throw a piece of paper on the roads of singapore, Indians who praise the systems in other countries..but in their own country, why this I-don't-care attitude? I remember reading his speeches and then turning the spotlight on myself - it was an uncomfortable experience, no doubt.
This thread is not about abiding to US laws vs abiding to Indian laws. It is not about driving at a certain speed in the US vs driving at such a speed in India. It is not even about law enforcement and cooperating with law enforcement. It is about a proposal to reduce speed limits on US highways. Why are we Indians interested in this? Because, if a country that consumes about 25% of the oil in the world atleast started looking at a national measure to help reduce oil consumption it is good for all of us.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:18   #34
BHPian

Another point which I should have mentioned before.

If US really wants to cut down on emissions, they should seriously look at their trucks (trailers), most of which don't follow the latest emission requirements.

In fact, most of the truck manufacturers in the US get away with it by paying a small fine (~$5000 for every rig sold) for not meeting the latest emission norms, which is far cheaper than installing devices like Exhaust Gas After-Treatment (for diesel engines) which can potentially cost close to $10000 or more on newer trucks.

Or fleet companies simply buy previous years' models so that they don't have to meet the requirement for the following year.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:05   #35
BANNED

55 mph = 88.5 kph
But India is planning 100kph speed limit, which is 62mph
Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Read a news item recently that a US Senator is proposing to impose a national speed limit of 55 mph to save gas.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
55 mph = 88.5 kph
But India is planning 100kph speed limit, which is 62mph
But in India if they want you to slow down they dont need speed limits. They will build a hump overnight or they will build many little humps and can make you crawl all over the place. Such a thing if viewed from a fuel saving perspective is only going to worsen things!

Last edited by sridhga : 1st August 2008 at 17:35.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
I have a contradictory view. In addition to number of cars, traffic is also about the amount of time cars stay on the road. If cars stay longer on the road there is more traffic.

If the speed limit is reduced, people will take longer to reach their destination. That is, they have to stay longer on the road, hence more cars on the road and hence more traffic and hence even lesser speed and hence more fuel consumption. Is there something wrong with this logic?
The Inter-Car distance (that needs to be maintained) increases with speed, hence fast moving cars impose a ceiling on the number of cars in the highway. consequently more cars can be accommodated per mile at 55 mph than at 95 mph (without further reducing the speed of the cars). Hence it definitely makes sense to save oil by driving at 55mph (88 kph)
Old 1st August 2008, 23:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
The Inter-Car distance (that needs to be maintained) increases with speed, hence fast moving cars impose a ceiling on the number of cars in the highway. consequently more cars can be accommodated per mile at 55 mph than at 95 mph (without further reducing the speed of the cars). Hence it definitely makes sense to save oil by driving at 55mph (88 kph)
what argument is that. agreed that gap between cars need to be more at higher speeds, but how does it prevent more cars from being 'accomodated' on highway? You assume that the highways are always packed from start to end. That is never the case. Moreover, cars keep exiting, joining etc. The traffic is always dynamic, the question of accomodating cars never arise, in fast moving traffic. Stop-go traffic, maybe.

Most Viewed