Team-BHP - Longest running model names
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Longest running model names (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/429-longest-running-model-names.html)

Hey chaps,

I saw Pferdestärke's signature today and was facinated. It goes like this, "Sportscars come, sportscars go, Legends live on - Porsche 911"
It just got me wondering, which model names have survived the longest. They may have kept evolving, but, without any stop in production.
Here are a few I can think of:
Porsche 911
VW Beetle
Chevy Corvette
Land Rover
Jeep
India's own HM Ambassador
Mini??? - I'm not sure whether there was a break in production during the BMW takeover.

Please add to this list and correct me if I've made a mistake anywhere.

Cheers.

Mustang

Are we talking model names only? Then Land Rover & Jeep don't make it. They are manufacturers, not models. However, the Discovery does make it i think.

G class?
S class?
Landcruiser?
SL?

Maruti 800 is another name i can think of.

BTW PS, i love ur signature. Good to know a fellow 73 RS 2.7 appreciater.

Revv

Addy there was a break in mini production between 1998 and 2001.

Revv

what about Impala, Ford Crown Victoria LTD

Pankaj i think impala had a break,

I dont know how old the brand is...but do you think the Corolla could fit in here?

GTO

Addy

if you talk bout the cars being evolved one of them has to be the Jaguar XJ Saloon . Like the 911 the car has maintained its design lines through the years.

GTO i guess the Corolla could fit in too. If to be specific in Land Rover it has to be the Defender thats the highlight

Cheers

Aditya, I'm surprised you forgot the Jaguar XJ and XK !

The latest Jaguar XJ, called the "concept 8", a LWB version is a stunner. Some folks hated it. If you haven't seen it already, I'll try to get you some pics. I saw it perched in the facility somewhere.
The Cherokee has been around for a while, so has the Ford F-series.

Hey addy, you forgot the Volkswagen Golf! close to 22 million vehicles sold, maybe more, and now in it's 5th Generation. through it's years it's gone from being one of the most involving cars to drive in the MK1 Golf GTi form, to one of the most powerful ones in the Mk4 Golf R32 guise. though over the years it's become heavier and bigger and powerful but somehow less involving to drive. the Mk5 doesn't seem to be much different, but, lets wait for a GTi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] saw Pferdestärke's signature today and was facinated.

Thanks Aditya, I really appreciate, You appreciating it. . By the way, I'd seen that punchline a few years back in a 911 ad in Road & Track Magazine, since then it was their in my mind. But after I saw the GT3-RS vs 360CS video, I couldnt resist having this signature. I know its big and takes time to load, but will just keep it for few days and will return with my Driftin Signature!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Maruti 800 is another name i can think of.

BTW PS, i love ur signature. Good to know a fellow 73 RS 2.7 appreciater.

Thanks Revv
BTW! I celebrated 15 years of Maruti 800 ownership on the 24th of May. Still in Mint condition! (its funny to hear someone say that about a M800 I know.)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the Topic: I am only recollecting a few at the moment and that too without any source so I may be wrong too.. correct me please..
Bentley Continental/Azure
Cadillac (DeVille/Seville/Eldorado)
Caterham Seven
Chevy Camaro
Dodge Viper (wouldnt qualify for this, would it?)
Ford ThunderBird (or is it a re-launch?)
Jeep Wrangler (it feels as if its been on and on since WWII)
LandRover - RangeRover ?
Lincoln Continental
Lotus Esprit (only one in production with popups I guess )
Mercury Grand Marquis (had to mention this and Continental even though i may be wrong)
Morgan umm?!?!? (i donno, the shape says its been there forever )
Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph? (again I am not sure)
VW Golf

--Phew!-- (i think most of em wouldnt qualify..)

And Yea I think Impala was re-launched in 2000 (since then it has crappy V6s unlike its predecessors)

Well people then would also have forgotten the SL, S-class, 3-series, 5-series that way...

i think addy u need to define it this way. The car that is being built to the same original condition as it was first built. Then i guess its only one car. The Morgan which suits this bill.

Revv

P.S. I am not referring to the aero8 here

Almost all Mercs have had a long run without a break in production. Ditto for the Corolla [1966-2004] .

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 28 2004,23:58)]Almost all Mercs have had a long run without a break in production

True. But the C and an E Class originated only about 10 or 12 years ago. Compare that to the run of the 911 (about 40 years) and you'll see that it's not really long.