Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2008, 01:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Coming soon- FIAT NANO! Nano could be rebadged a FIAT internationally.

TATA- FIAT is considering selling the Nano as a FIAT in markets where the latter has a stronghold.

UPDATE 1-India's Tata open to Fiat selling Nano cars | Reuters

Tata Motors May Shake Hands with Fiat to Sell Nano | CarTradeIndia.com

OT: Searched the forum, but didnt get similar threads.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th July 2008 at 01:55.
Old 26th July 2008, 03:11   #2
BANNED

Oh my GAWD! ! ! (I see black! Oh no... It's dark black. Yells for help and faints).

Why? My god? Why?
Tata is gone mad?

Now what? Should we expect Fiat Safari? Fiat Xenon? Fiat Indica? Oh no!
And in return should we see a Tata Palio? Tata 500?

Nano was supposed to be a car which would make our country proud. By naming it Fiat, ain't that image being compromised?
Old 26th July 2008, 03:23   #3
BHPian

Oh my god.

If Nano's quality is not up to the international standards, it will potentially spoil Fiat's brand image.
Old 26th July 2008, 05:00   #4
BHPian

Oops seems like Tata did not consider that this product was about to make Tata brand world famous. Major players were watching and copying.

Not the best of descisions by Tata Sons in my opine.
Old 26th July 2008, 07:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wait, If I am right, it says that FIAT will sell the Nano. I dont see it saying FIAT selling FIAT NANO. So, it may be like TATA selling fiat here, Fiat will be selling Tata cars in its place.
Or did I miss something?
Old 26th July 2008, 09:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is a good move for TATA to pitch Nano abraod.Imagine,it can give run for Smart car which is again based on Nano technology.
Personally if there was a Fiat Nano,I would like to add it to my stable of existing Fiats.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Oh my god.

If Nano's quality is not up to the international standards, it will potentially spoil Fiat's brand image.
Didnt Fiat already do that? Look at what we get here!

Lets see how they cope with the market demand in India. And what better way than using Fiat dealer abroad than starting their own.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:08   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Or did I miss something?
The thread title!

Using Fiat dealership is okay. But rebadging isn't a good idea I think.
If Tata let go of their name from Nano, then how will people identify the car to from India?

Last edited by speedzak : 26th July 2008 at 10:11.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:12   #9
BHPian

I think it's a good move by Tata. If they can make some good money off it, why not do it then.

If they can meet European safety norms by installing airbags and crumple zones, these will sell like hot cakes in this day and age of $7 a gallon gas (in Europe).

And it will also establish Tata as a high volume manufacturer in countries outside India, something which didn't go too well with the City Rover in the UK.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I feel this is a good move for TATA to pitch Nano abraod.Imagine,it can give run for Smart car which is again based on Nano technology.
Even I think it's an intelligent move by the Tata's in business perspective. Obviously if Nano is sold in the European markets under the Fiat badge it's going to have a wider market penetration. After the City Rover fiasco I doubt if European markets are likely to be interested in a made in India Tata product. On the flip side the price of this pocket car Nano is so less that it can even eat a chunk of the market share in this segment.
Lastly regarding quality & accessories, I think Tata's are notoriously infamous for having double standards in their products for domestic markets & export markets.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
So, it may be like TATA selling fiat here, Fiat will be selling Tata cars in its place.
That will be the best way for TATA. But then again, we are interested in buying so- called 'Italian' cars from Indian service and sales network. The reverse could happen if only the product is made decently upmarket in terms of interior trim and specifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The thread title!
The first news i read about this two days back mentioned specifically about rebadging, but i am not able to find the source article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If Tata let go of their name from Nano, then how will people identify the car to from India?
May be, thats the whole point!

The brazilian market, for example, i think will be a very good market for Nano if its launched as a FIAT there (AFAIK, FIAT is the dominant player in brazil), but it would be tough for TATA to establish itself as a quality player with the Nano.

And, companies prefer coming down the ladder rather than going up the ladder. If TATA enters a new market with the nano, it will have a lasting image as a manufacturer of cheap and small cars. Which would do it much good to expand the product range later on.

Similar thing has happened to Hyundai in India, where it got an image as a manufacturer of small cars. Which i why i think companies are trying to come down the ladder with the product range these days.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! Calling it a fiat is the Ultimate insult to the car! So i guess it will be having the Garbage truck technology?? OOps I meant "F.I.R.E. Engine
Old 26th July 2008, 11:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Oh my god.

What quality standards can you expect from a 2500$ car!!
But i surely dont like this move. Why do they wanna sell vada pav and brand it as a Pizza!
Old 26th July 2008, 17:19   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

DONT! Tata, dont! The Nano is our achievement, it pains to see it being rebranded and wear someone else's name. You have achieved what no one else could, it's an Indian company putting the people-car back on the world map. I hope this move is reconsidered and it wears the "T" badge with pride.

Tata need not worry about the image factor. The Nano is supposed to be cheap, while Tata is an extremely respected global brand (Thanks also to recent takeovers!).
Old 26th July 2008, 18:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nano is so publicised now that whatever you badge this, it will be a Indian car. So, doesn't make sense to badge it anything.
Why not create a new brand calling it just Nano.

World over, Tata's name is not that famous and not so bad too. So please no FIAT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks