Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 21:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!

I came across this news.
Toyota Prius Shows Next Gen Body for First Time

It is speculated that this car is not only new bodied, but its next generation Pruis.

The complete article is:
Quote:
The world’s most popular hybrid car, the Toyota Prius, is getting a new look, and here are the first photos of the newly styled next generation body.
Previously caught by spy photographers with the newly designed front end attached to the old body, it was speculated that this prototype was the Prius facelift. Now sources say, the proto was in fact the new generation Prius in mule form hiding under the body of the old Prius.
The new Prius is longer and wider resulting in increased rear passenger space and a larger boot. As a result, the Prius may be extended into a range of vehicles. Toyota USA President, Jim Lentz, previously mentioned a two-door coupe, wagon or a commuter car may join the five-door hatchback.
Naturally, better fuel economy is expected despite more horsepower. Insiders are talking about a change from NiMh batteries in favor of lighter and smaller Li-ion batteries. The smaller Li-ion batteries will allow for more storage space but also make the Prius faster as well.
The next generation Prius is expected to arrive in 2010.
The images:
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis1.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis2.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis3.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis4.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis5.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis7.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhpnewpruis8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 1st August 2008, 11:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Prius has grown! Not that I am complaining, but why do cars get bigger & bigger with each successive generation? There are some markets (including the States) where compacts are actually preferred. Even the new Accord hasn't been received all that well due to its king size footprint.

More importantly, isn't a larger size detrimental to the Prius' purpose?
Old 1st August 2008, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1)
The Prius has grown! Even the new Accord hasn't been received all that well due to its king size footprint.

2)
1)
From the internet reports, Prius will grow a bit. The fact about Accord is surprising to me.

2)
As long as there is reduction in fuel consumption, reduction in emessions, I dont think that anyone will mind it. The timing of Prius is good considering awareness about environment.
The Accord has now entered into Large car segment ( correct me if wrong ), but in case of Prius, some more increment in size wont affect the performance in its main market, USA.

3)
Some more information:

Spy Shots: Next-gen Prius gets caught testing - Autoblog

Quote:
New spy photos of Toyota's next-gen Prius have surfaced on the web, and for the first time we're looking at an actual prototype rather than a mere mule built out of pieces and parts from the current-gen Prius. The new spy shots reveal that the 2010 Prius will indeed retain the current five-door hatchback shape of the current model but will grown in both length and width. While NextAutos is reporting that the Prius will become more powerful with a larger engine (Car and Driver reports that a 1.6L Atkinson four-cylinder will replace the current 1.5L from the old Echo), we're hearing that it will continue to use nickel-metal hydride batteries rather than newer lithium-ion batteries. Toyota is, after all, building a whole new factory in Japan to produce more nickel-metal hydride batteries that should be operational in 2010. Even with the larger engine, the new Prius will get better gas mileage than the current model, and the Prius range is expected to grow at some point with new models like a station wagon and convertible. The next-gen Prius that will kick things off is expected to debut at this year's Detroit Auto Show in January
Old 1st August 2008, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Prius has grown! Not that I am complaining, but why do cars get bigger & bigger with each successive generation? There are some markets (including the States) where compacts are actually preferred. Even the new Accord hasn't been received all that well due to its king size footprint.

For June 2008 over June 2007, Accord sales grew 54% and year upto June sales grew 13%. Accord numbers for June are about 200 cars less than Civic (the new darling of U.S customers)

So, what is this not well received news ?

On the other hand, it would be interesting if Toyota would sell a non-hybrid Prius and let us see what the mileage difference between the two would be.

Last edited by srishiva : 1st August 2008 at 21:11.
Old 1st August 2008, 21:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think with a small increase, it will increase it's share in market denting in the mid size segment. it's already got a bigger cargo area than corolla.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:54   #6
BHPian

It looks more Honda-ish to me, with the covers on.
Old 16th October 2008, 18:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

2009 Toyota Prius photos leaked.

2009 3rd gen Toyota Prius photos leaked from a low res-video, found its way into many other internet forums.
but, are these real photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-1.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-2.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-3.jpg  

Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-4.jpg  

Old 16th October 2008, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

The car looks better, but looks like they have lost their originality factor going by the Honda standards in case of front grille.

A thread already exists:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...irst-time.html

The thread has spy shots with a covered ( camouflaged ) body. Here, I think the grille looks the same.
Old 16th October 2008, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

One more shot, but in camouflaged format.
Its now confirmed that this is the new Toyota Prius as per Autoblog.
Source: Confirmed: This is the 2010 Toyota Prius - Autoblog

Article.
Quote:
Toyota PR reportedly confirmed to the website that what we're looking at is the same car that will be revealed in January at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. We've also included some spy shots in the gallery below that would seem to corroborate this.

As Damon pointed out last night, the new design is an evolution of the current model that incorporates some recent favorite styling cues of Toyota designers like the bulbous badge housing up front. The interior, however, is a marked step away from the current model's spaceship controls, and thankfully eschews that car's dash-mounted shifter for a new one properly placed on the buttressed center console. Mechanically speaking, the new Prius is expected to arrive with a more powerful gas engine, bigger electric motor and, despite continuing to use nickel-metal hydride rather than lithium-ion batteries, improved fuel efficiency. It is the Prius after all.
Image.
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen Prius : Cammo pics. EDIT: Official Pics LEAKED!!-tbhp_01_priusspyshots.jpg  

Old 16th October 2008, 23:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some how i dont like the design of the car.

It will sell a lot , that's for sure but if i'd be given an option , i'd definitely avoid this.

I just dont admire the straight boot
Looks like an add-on
Old 18th October 2008, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Some how i dont like the design of the car.

It will sell a lot , that's for sure but if i'd be given an option , i'd definitely avoid this.

I just dont admire the straight boot
Looks like an add-on
That's for the battery pack underneath. Even the new Insight from Honda has the same kind of trunklid since it can get really cramped in there if you just have the regular sized trunk.
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

The 2010 Toyota Pruis Commercial is leaked.
Source :
2010 Toyota Prius Commercial Leaked - worldcarfans

Article :
Quote:
The 2010 Toyota Prius...Once you own one it will become one of YOUR favorite things." That is the tagline of the 2010 Prius whose latest television commercial has been leaked. Presented video clip features the 2010 Prius showing itself off on a round rotating ‘catwalk'. Background music is a jazzed-up version of "My Favorite Things" from the musical The Sound of Music to go with the tagline.
Prius is the most successful hybrid system-powered vehicle on the planet, having sold over a million units worldwide so far. It has gone through the usual nip/tuck facelift and now looks forward to a next-generation world debut at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The video shows clearly most of the new car's body features, but doesn't reveal much else, apart from the tagline above.
Toyota says although 2009 Prius is only slightly bigger than its predecessor, it has more rear passenger and boot space, thanks to the fact that it's grown bigger and wider. Despite this, an even better fuel efficiency level is said to have been attained from the hybrid system, the details of which Toyota is understandably coy about.
Toyota US top executive Jim Lentz is quoted as having mentioned other body styles to join the Prius hatch, styles like a wagon, commuter car or even a two-door coupe.

I am not able to post much images from the above link due to my PC issues.
Old 10th December 2008, 09:45   #13
BHPian

looks much better

Hood and fenders look better now, but the rear end still retained that odd shape from current prius.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:28   #14
BHPian

Since we humans are designing them, it's only right that they inherit those very human traits also. As you grow in age & experience, you become larger in size as well. Prius is Toyota's way of reminding us that.

Quote:

Old 10th December 2008, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

The vertical fog lamps looks bad to me.
However this car will sell. By the name, it will!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks