Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2005, 01:12   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup it'll be the highest selling diesel SUV in it's class (bcoz it's the only diesel in it's class). That's understood.

Shan2nu
Thats a good one man . HAHAAHAA
Old 26th March 2005, 02:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The answer is very clear , its just the Badge . We ve always been paying the premium for the badge ,but for how long ??? I think now is the high time , we should better start comparing cars rather than Badges .
Well why are then we buying on badge value? Its simple to understand, these badges have consistently delivered quality over the years and have built themselves to that stature. Its taken companies like Toyota and Honda a good 50 years to achieve that recognition. Everything takes time, even recognition. If it weren't so, most CEOs would have been 21 or 22 years of age. Recognition comes with age. Today people blindly buy Toyotas and Hondas cuz they know that the product will be good. And its been true.

You believe that the Corolla is overpriced. So do I. But then it ain't the world's best seller just like that, it sure must have done something right to be there, hasn't it? From a true enthusiast's point of view it probably loses, but elsewhere it does perform. It has an engine that can go on till eternity, parts that last, quality that speaks and what not. At the end of the day, its a package that makes a lot of sense. Hyundai cars don't. When you offer 4 years and 80,000 kms warranty packs one thinks that something is amiss with the company and that they are trying too hard to prove themselves that they are good. Thats why an Elantra doesn't sell. Why, even after Rs.1,50,000 cash discounts they don't, which in my opinion makes the car a virtual steal. Look, there is a point where people won't buy a car because you offer them discounts. And the C++ segment clearly is that one. And so are the segments above it.

Hyundai hasn't tasted clear success in the segments above C because they haven't developed sound engineered cars. Making cars that perform averagely in all aspects is one thing that people in lower segments will accept, but as you go up the ladder people have bigger whims and fancies because they are spending a lot of dough on their cars. If they are just average cars and not great in any particular area, don't expect them to sell. One reason why Audis don't do well in certain markets and beemers and mercs do.

The customer here isn't a fool not to buy an Elantra and buy a Skoda or a Corolla instead. Understand the psyche behind why they do so. No one is saying that the Elantra is a bad car, infact if i were in the market for a car in that segment, i would sincerely give it due consideration cuz it is quite a capable car. But how has the company positioned it? India's first luxury sports sedan..... what POS. And if you are to spend 3 lakhs extra over an Accent for a car that resembles the Accent a lot, why bother upgrading. Another reason also why though the Octy is a success, the Superb aint' cuz it looks like its younger sibling. I

t isn't always just about the car, but how companies work towards launching them. We are human beings, fickle minded at the end of it all. If something is done that doesn't seem right or sound right, we won't respond to it, no matter what one does. Same applies to cars and Hyundai as well!

Revv
Old 26th March 2005, 09:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

one thing all of us should agree is the jap brands in india are hugely overrated

yest night while coming back from dinner my dad was telling me "what's great in this crv? ther's no proper comfort,isnt powerful enough,no this no that" "while the sonata had this that"
the only good thing abt it he felt was the autobox.

i felt in a sense true, but when i tried to point out the refinment of the engine, no headaches etc he said only one thing "it's all in the head adit"

we need to remember indians also tend to see the vfm features (which the current batch of japs vehicles are providing)

if firmly believe my dad wouldnt have said all that if he was sitting in the new crv coz it has more features for a similar amount of money

us being big car geeks we understand, but people like my father and others generally go by the looks and overall apperance of the car,that's why i feel the new accord and other new gen cars are selling in such huge nos

if i were given a option of a base vtec vs the optra i would choose the vtec while people like my father the optra

another thing the snob value of corolla has dropped down atleast in hyd after the dealers started that 9999 scheme, now u see atleast 4 to 5 corollas for sale in the local paper
the car is great but the mentalitly of the people is like " now that every tom dick and harry can buy a corolla lets upgrade to some other car".

Moderator note: It is grammar. Not grammer.

Last edited by Revvmaster : 26th March 2005 at 11:24.
Old 27th March 2005, 01:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster

You believe that the Corolla is overpriced. So do I. But then it ain't the world's best seller just like that, it sure must have done something right to be there, hasn't it?
Revv

Yes it is(or may be was) the worlds best seller and deservebly so but do you mean we are getting the same quality car here in india as the ones in the us and europe ???

You need to rethink and let any of the U.K , U.S citizen drive the indian corrola and tell them its the best selling car in its segment , they would def give a big laugh . How am i so sure ! coz when my uncle came from uk and took the test drive , he was SHOCKED that how can the same car/badge be altogether so different .

When asked he told me its quite noisy and theres no word called comfort and he went on by sayin " Had this same car been in the UK, people would'nt have given a thought to corrola" .

Ever thought of why we indians are being treated this way ?

Way back when the qualis was about to be launched , i used to see an advertisment on TV . The ad was for Toyota and at the end of it , guy named Roshan abbas(tv anchor) says "AT TOYOTA THEY KNOW PEOPLE BETTER" .

That says it all .
Old 27th March 2005, 02:00   #50
BHPian

Its actually funny, there not many sonata's on US roads. I mean atleast I havent seen those many, infact i've seen very few sonata's here. But who knows maybe it is the most reliable. There's one thing though, all korean cars sell for a really low price here.
Regards
Blaze
Old 27th March 2005, 02:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is(or may be was) the worlds best seller and deservebly so but do you mean we are getting the same quality car here in india as the ones in the us and europe ???
Doesn't the Corolla in the UK look like this?

Compared to the one that looks like this, which is the one sold here, and in the US.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th March 2005 at 02:17.
Old 27th March 2005, 02:29   #52
BHPian

Ofcourse ,the uk 1 is diff , they neither ve camry in the uk , they ve Avensis (i suppose) ,its two different markets but its regarding the quality standards ,not maintained by Toyota in india .

Last edited by Beemer : 27th March 2005 at 02:37.
Old 27th March 2005, 02:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shortchanged for quality is quite common. That's why i clearly mentioned, the corolla is overpriced. And rightly so. Still people buying it in hordes still doesn't justify your stand. We are out and out car enthusiasts on this site, clearly we are smart enough not to go for a product where we feel the quality is below par. But that doesn't stand for the masses of people, nearly 900-1000 a month, who end up buying the Corolla.

The point isn't whether the Corolla in India is of an inferior quality in comparison to that in other countries, it really is about how cars are sold. Frankly, the fact that Toyota can flaunt cars for 11L without ABS or TC and yet have their car as the largest seller in its class means their business acumen is terrific.

Also understand, the priority levels in cars here are far different from European markets, we still are miles away as far as market maturity is concerned. We like to believe that we have a lot of options, but sadly we really don't. Intense competition of the sorts in Europe, if they do occur in India, could see similar results.

Revv
Old 27th March 2005, 02:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its two different markets but its regarding the quality standards ,not maintained by Toyota in india .
How can you expect the same quality from 2 diff cars with the same name? The Corolla in the UK is made, keeping those conditions in mind.

Compare our Corolla to the US one and tell me what makes our version inferior, in terms of ride quality and sound proofing.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 03:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Compare our Corolla to the US one and tell me what makes our version inferior, in terms of ride quality and sound proofing.

Shan2nu
Well , let me apply for visa , i ll let you know once i reach there .
BTW you mean theres no local content in our indian corrola !

Most Viewed