Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 06:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
I'd be surprised if it hasn't already, seeing as half of American rappers are gangsters themselves.

Jokes aside, I am actually quite serious. Which segment are these cars aimed at?
If I had to make an educated guess/attempt at an answer - I'd say young Japanese Yakuza/men who want to not seem amazingly rich, but still travel in a bit of style.
Old 19th January 2009, 08:45   #32
BHPian

Ok guys you are mixing all your un-related ideas and turning them into a sorta automotive garbage soup. STOP.

Rappers: They dont drive japanese cars. They drive anything over-the-top with a ton of useless chrome, spinners and 30" wheels. Rappers dont to VIP, they do gaudy.

VIP is all about the largest rim you can fit in the car with or without scraping everywhere. The "slant" your refer to is a ton of negative camber to get the wheels to fit in there.

I think VIP looks extremely ugly.

About the Miata: Sure go ahead and make fun of em. However don't come crying to me when he whoops your butt at the track with his puny wheels and tiny engine

Those cars handle well, and when you have less weight, you need less power. I know someone with an LS1 in that thing - talk about a monster!
Old 19th January 2009, 17:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
If I had to make an educated guess/attempt at an answer - I'd say young Japanese Yakuza/men who want to not seem amazingly rich, but still travel in a bit of style.

If they wanted style, they can just buy a regular Lexus LS! What's with the rims? And/or the low ride?
Old 19th January 2009, 18:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post

VIP is all about the largest rim you can fit in the car with or without scraping everywhere. The "slant" your refer to is a ton of negative camber to get the wheels to fit in there.

Again, who drives these VIP cars?
Old 19th January 2009, 20:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
Anybody interested in these types of Cars?

VIP style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
With that kinda ground-clearance, not in India at least.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Again, who drives these VIP cars?
Here's who..

People who can afford to get them.
People who do not want 500HP plus in their lawnmowers and think of power all the time
people who have a couple of other daily drivers. (and these aren't one of them)
people who work through the week and take public transport on weekdays to commute to save and pay for these wheels and pneumatics.. and cruise over the weekend. (Mainly in Australia - due to restrictions on power : age ratios..so bling is the other option)
people who do not mind people staring at them or
people who want to be stared at..

These are posers (the cars) ..nothing more nothing less..BIG is definitely better..These things are not built so to do a lap at the ring or to be used for track days..they are built do cruise at about 40kmph at the most..(but would do 3 - 4 times that if required and if the roads allow)

And quite honestly...there are people in India who would love to own something like this but our roads do not allow us to even consider anything over 17 inchers on a decent mid size sedan..

You either love it or leave it rather than calling it silly and what not..

Cheers..
Old 20th January 2009, 05:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys you are mixing all your un-related ideas and turning them into a sorta automotive garbage soup. STOP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post

You either love it or leave it rather than calling it silly and what not..

Cheers..
First off, this place is a forum. We kinda have all the right in the world to voice our opinions and speak what we feel needs to be said, as long as it isn't directly patronising/chastising or assaulting someone.

Having lived four years in Tokyo, I know exactly what these cars represent. They're the kinda cars you roll on by in the Shibuya or Roppongi districts for purely discreet (yet showy) purposes, and to make a bit of a style statement. They serve two purposes -

1. Yakuza - who don't wanna be seen in German imports.

2. Regular men - who want to be seen travelling in style/like the Yakuza, but at most can afford these.

These cars aren't ridiculously expensive. It's also a well known fact that Japanese men would more rather stay in a matchbox if they could be seen driving and owning an italian exotic. They're stylish cars for those who want it, and completely silly for the vast majority of us.

In fact, I'd wanted to bring in a BBS/Lorinser/WALD Toyota Celsior into Delhi, but backed out last minute due to impracticality/ground clearance issues. It would have been a truly rare sight in 1998:

http://response.jp/event/auto-salon2...2503ty10_1.jpg

Last edited by aniguchisan : 20th January 2009 at 05:35.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
First off, this place is a forum. We kinda have all the right in the world to voice our opinions and speak what we feel needs to be said, as long as it isn't directly patronising/chastising or assaulting someone.
You're right, that actually sounds rude. I didn't re-read my post before posting or I would have caught that. I cant even edit my posts...doh!
Old 20th January 2009, 18:54   #39
BHPian

Reminds me of jedda knights kinda thing.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're right, that actually sounds rude. I didn't re-read my post before posting or I would have caught that. I cant even edit my posts...doh!
Haha, not an issue bro. Keep on postin'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks