Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2008, 23:46   #16
BHPian

Hey and I thought these things happened only in India. Seem's like indian chor's are into a big network world wide
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:28   #17
BHPian

Wow seeing the Bentleys on bricks brought back a memory from 5 years ago. A friend's custom Merc E class [German import] had it's original AMG wheels jacked. The driver made the mistake of parking it outside his house for a little under half an hour. When he returned, the car was on 4 jacks, and the rims were missing!

This being on Amrita Shergil Marg in New Delhi, and my friend being the neighbour of an eminent businessman who owns India's largest mobile phone network...You'd expect that with all the guards around someone would've seen or done something!

Also WRT the rest of the world, our first Merc in Singapore, an E class was stolen in 93, just 3 months after purchase. It was white. When we lodged a report at the police station, they brushed it off saying that a little over 300 cars were stolen in that month, and that more than half were white. Targets being Japanese and German cars!
Insurance, that was a joke, Dad still cribs about the loss, as the car had depreciated big time in those 3 months, and with that meager usage! [Worst of all, my stuffed animals were stolen with the car frustrati: I was 6 then]
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Offtopic, but depreciation wise, the most expensive journey you ever make in a new car is driving it home from the dealers!
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:11   #19
BHPian

As you said guys, It's a surprise/shock to see Bentley's, Bimmer's , Merc's etc. in this condition.

I wonder how did they do it , There is a lock without which the wheel nuts are not accessible < as on my Bimmer>, so it's not that easy , unless there is a skeletion lock opener or some really sophisticated technique.

Imagine the state of the owners who spend such a hefty amount for these cars and the wheels get stolen... Geeez

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Dude.. thats an M6!!
Aren't the brakes too small for an M6?

What sucks is that the BMW's are on the ground renting on the brake rotors...now that's messed up.
Old 23rd September 2008, 05:46   #21
BHPian

Capital punishment for the thieves.

The one thing anyone should know is never to mess with a man's car.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Amazed, but sad to see the above pictures. It might be the reason that Merc is having a seperate star bolt on each wheel which could be losen only with the geniune one that company give while buying the cars.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Amazed, but sad to see the above pictures. It might be the reason that Merc is having a seperate star bolt on each wheel which could be losen only with the geniune one that company give while buying the cars.
You were saying something about the Mercedes??

Bentleys with Wheels stolen.-mercedes-wheels.jpg
Bentleys with Wheels stolen.-mercedes-wheels-2.jpg
Bentleys with Wheels stolen.-mercedes-wheels-3.jpg
Bentleys with Wheels stolen.-stolen_wheels_mercedes.jpg
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:54   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever security bolt the manufacturer comes up with, somebody will source one :(
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:09   #25
BHPian

Heard in my college days from one of my friends in west Delhi that people used to lock there scooter, bikes and cars wheels too, as it is very common that one night you will have your tyres missing. But these biggies man .

I remember one incidence, one guy used to took care of his Bajaj Chetak scooter in mid nineties a lot, wash it and wax it every day and then cover it like a new girl friend. One find day he uncovered it, and found his better half of Bricks, not only wheels were missing, but whole engine was missing along with back wheel
Old 24th September 2008, 10:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

My colleague had one wheel stolen from his Ford Ikon in Bangalore. Since he had just 4 alloys, he had to go around with one wheel having the steel rim.

Most Viewed