Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 21:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan

Available in both AWD and FWD variants, the Odyssey is offered exclusively with a new 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that can be hooked up to either a 5-speed automatic transmission or a CVT gearbox. According to Honda, the Odyssey achieves an average fuel consumption in the Japanese combined cycle of 13,2 km /lt which translates to an overly optimistic 7,6 lt/100 km or 31-mpg.

more at:Honda Reveals All-New Odyssey MPV in Japan: 30 High-Res Pictures - Carscoop

Last edited by Aditya : 18th October 2008 at 15:26.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that this car is never going to make it to our market.

More news.
Source : Honda reveals all-new JDM Odyssey - Autoblog

Article:
Quote:
Honda's JDM Odyssey – not to be confused with the U.S.-market people mover that shares the same name – has been hailed as one of the best handling minivans in Japan. For 2009, Honda has taken everything good about the outgoing third-generation model and made it better, beginning with a sleeker exterior that pulls a few cues from the Honda FCX Clarity.

Underneath the new, slightly stretched sheet metal lies a reworked chassis sporting double wishbones at all four corners, optional all-wheel-drive and a 2.4-liter four-cylinder i-VTEC powerplant putting out 171 hp in standard guise and 203 hp in the range-topping Absolute model.

The interior is adorned with all the techy tidbits that made previous generations a hit with family-toting geeks, including a sci-fi inspired dash and a new multi-positioned camera system that allows drivers to get a bird's eye view of the vehicle. Similar to the Fit sold in the States, the seating can be arranged in a multitude of ways, including folding flat to create something resembling a bed. We'd like to scam one out of Honda during our next trip to Japan so we can post on the move and don't have to worry about heading back to our hotel – which is traditionally only slightly smaller than the new Odyssey.

Images.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_01_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_02_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_20_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_39_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_55_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_72_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_73_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Old 18th October 2008, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why did Honda go so stingy on the tachometer?! It barely gets any space in the instrument cluster.

Can someone tell me what does the indicator marked by me mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-tbhp_ho.jpg  

Old 18th October 2008, 19:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess because people who drive minivans dont really care about rpms.
The symbol looks like a tree so it must be some kind of indicator for ECO driving zone.
Old 20th October 2008, 04:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

yes, i remember seeing a eco friendly indicator in my friend's odyssey, probably when it switches some of it's cylinders off. that should be it.
Old 20th October 2008, 09:26   #6
BHPian

Somehow I'm not happy with the entire styling, the front grille, the flat bonnet the etc etc gave a sedan type look though odyssey is a MUV. Im also attaching pics of side view and back view as it wasnt included earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-05_honda_08_odyssey_jdm_.jpg  

Honda officially reveals all new odyssey MPV in Japan-hondaodysseyjdm0.jpg  

Old 20th October 2008, 10:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Odyssey has been a class apart - looks, ride, handling, comfort. For me, the perfect family vehicle. And good to see Honda's designs evolving (both for the cars & the Odyssey) - un-like the Homer Simpon-ish look that Toyota has been giving their cars (atleast).
Old 20th October 2008, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Car! Honda's styling cues arent exactly pleasing these days but this one seems to be an exception. But the interiors are to die for. And yeh, we are just not there for this kind of refinement and feature level. Price concious we still are.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:10   #9
BHPian

the previous generation had the automatic (key control) sliding doors for the rear. Something i really liked and found useful on a mini. Not sure why they have moved back to the conventional one.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:26   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Odyssey has been a class apart - looks, ride, handling, comfort. For me, the perfect family vehicle.
As an enthusiast, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. But I have to agree.....Odysseys and Siennas are unbeatable on practicality. Especially for larger families. Minivans can do what 99% of those SUV owners are doing, with better efficiency, safety and convenience. The sheer space, comfort, ease of access (automatic sliding doors included), breezy ingress / egress and interior flexibility are astounding. Plus, they are more carlike to drive than top-heavy SUVs.

The Odyssey & Sienna are considered to be amongst the best minivans one can buy. Not surprisingly, it was an American company that created the Minivan concept (Chrysler) but the Japs have gone on to perfecting it. And dominated the segment soon after. Similar to what Lexus has done for luxury car customers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks