Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 09:28   #31
JRD
BHPian

@Mayavi:

Q: I am sure when the designers presented these sketches, each of the teams sent one of their designers along with it to explain to the judges what the heck they mean and what is their purpose. Without such an explanation or an accompanying text, these designs are nothing more than some graphic designers fantasy sketches.
A: Not true. These entries are sent from the studios in print media/ Digital copy. Its been going on for quite a while and the material has enough information for the design board of the LA Design Challenge to judge which entry has fulfilled the competition requirements the best.
FYI: Graphic Design is again a different major then Transportation Design.(Automotive Design). Any graphic designers please elaborate.

Q: All those concept cars would have published engine specs, tech specs, designs specs and materials used and only then will people see the feasibility of design. These fantasy sketches need an explanation too... what kind of technology advances do they foresee in 17 years to conjure such wild machines, what kinda materials do they see being used to design a Honda that can run on water, fly in air and float on water, or what advantages do a spoke style tyre provide over a regular circular tyre for a Mitsubishi off-roader. Without knowing any of these, the designs are not any different from the millions of photoshop create wallpapers on internet.
A: See concept cars have different intentions when they are revealed at auto shows. Its the companies decision to state their motives regarding the designs. A concept car like the Suzuki A-Star Concept was revealed as a car that will find its way into production and hence they mentioned some quick specs about it that will ensure the public on what the concept will be like when in production. In this case it is a visionary design for a theme that is 17years from now and these companies have no plans as of now to take them into actual track use. If they decide lets say in the case of the audi R25 to take it in the Lemans series they will post enough details for basic understanding. We again have to understand that these are motorsport concepts and hence it is not for the public to decide its feasability because it is not a production road car for people to buy. If Audi's racing division thinks it will meet their requirements then they will develop it.
Ps: the posters have a brief text on their technological advances.eg The mitsubishi poster has the explanation about the wheel design in the second row from the top.

Q: Since you have asserted that THIS IS DESIGN, the onus is on you to tell us why THIS IS THE DESIGN and why we should bow in front of it and drool all over. You don't ask us to google for it.
A: Yes it is design and not engineering or anything else. The definition of design is a adding innovation to an already successful idea. No one is asking any one to bow down and drool. This is a public forum and i posted images with a quick brief for people to enjoy and appreaciate. People who dont appreciate it are most welcome not to look at it. Whoever needs more information can refer to the worldwideweb (the best source of information on the planet). No one is liable to provide any explanations regarding information shared for pure viewing pleasure.

PS: The other reason why I think Viper asked for the link is because whenever you post any images from another site, forum rules (and internet etiquette) requires you to post a link to the original site.
A: As a member of the design community I receive Design news from our specific communities via email. If i had referred a website and posted information here, then I would have definitely mentioned the source. (P.s:in my earlier post when asked for more information. I googled and refered the source aka carbodydesign.com)
Old 24th October 2008, 09:48   #32
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I love these cars, and have been waiting to see stuff like this on our roads ever since i started watching sci fi movies 15 yrs ago.
whats wrong with a little dreaming?
keep going JRD
Lets keep our fingers crossed buddy. I would love to have that mitsubishi. (Do i hear paris dakar!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
JRD, I am on your side I like the Mitsu probably because it is the closest to a regular car we see around compared to all the others or not?

Great stuff to know/see. Gives an idea of whats going on around and how everything might just shape up in 50 years. Excellent thread and yes as somebody said - we resist change and that's human nature, so all those comments..
Thanks man. Finally some one for innovation!
lol i understand resisting change is in the human nature but this is ridiculous. Its like i am the bad guy for sharing some really cool and fresh designs.!

Honestly, as far as this theme of Motorsports 2025 is concerned who cares about feasibility. Even some production cars like the countach are not feasible for road use. (YOU cant SEE what's in the back) But some of us still love the countach and every thing that is out of the ordinary.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
@ howler: you mean us designers right??
(p.s: JRD is a humble designer as well)
cheers: yeah i mean you too!!i feel theres a little 'designer' in all of us , cant believe the kind of reactions this has sparked off. sometimes its just a design , sometimes it will have some relevance. at the end of the day its all about how it makes you feel, and hell these designs make me feel good!!
esp. the AUDI R25!
Old 24th October 2008, 11:52   #34
BHPian

Hi JRD

liked your designs and find it very creative

some negative opinions dosent make you a bad guy nor does it take away the fact that you show potential.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:03   #35
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
cheers: yeah i mean you too!!i feel theres a little 'designer' in all of us , cant believe the kind of reactions this has sparked off. sometimes its just a design , sometimes it will have some relevance. at the end of the day its all about how it makes you feel, and hell these designs make me feel good!!
esp. the AUDI R25!
I hear you man. Sometimes you can't pin point why you like something, but you just do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksudye View Post
Hi JRD

some negative opinions dosent make you a bad guy nor does it take away the fact that you show potential.
Thanks for the compliment dude,I wish they were mine but these are not my designs, they are done by car design studios for the LA Design Challenge 2008

My work is on my site. Janmejay R Desai - Transportation Designer
(P.s: I am uploading all my work this weekend so please bear with just one project right now.)
Old 24th October 2008, 23:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
A: As a member of the design community I receive Design news from our specific communities via email. If i had referred a website and posted information here, then I would have definitely mentioned the source. (P.s:in my earlier post when asked for more information. I googled and refered the source aka carbodydesign.com)
Then you should have mentioned that you got it in email.

This is your first post:
Quote:
Ive read over and over on countless threads where everyone is discussing about a home made kit and its "Design!" . So to clarify that Car Design is much more then just after market add ons, i would like to introduce you guys to my world. The world of Automotive Design!

Enjoy the benchmark of the industry. The LA Design Challenge.

-JRD
and this is what people thought:
Quote:
Hi JRD

Quote:
In this case it is a visionary design for a theme that is 17years from now and these companies have no plans as of now to take them into actual track use. If they decide lets say in the case of the audi R25 to take it in the Lemans series they will post enough details for basic understanding.
umm... sure, but I am still curious as to what kind of technology does Honda have that would help them build a car that will race on land, air and water all in one package.
Old 25th October 2008, 00:59   #37
BHPian

Interesting ideas! These designs merely serve as an inspiration for the automobile to evolve! Why do some people think this is exactly what is going to happen?
Old 25th October 2008, 13:26   #38
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Then you should have mentioned that you got it in email.

This is your first post:

and this is what people thought:

umm... sure, but I am still curious as to what kind of technology does Honda have that would help them build a car that will race on land, air and water all in one package.
Technically there is no "law" forcing me to mention the source if the source is other then a website. So why is so so important to state the source. All for you know i got the images from the Tea stall outside my office.

The point is not to be so concerned about the source but rather to enjoy and acknowledge the creativity put in by these designers.

In my initial post I mentioned "my world" and not "my designs" again there is a difference. And if someone misunderstood it , i clearly informed them about it eg: in my post to "ksudye".

As for the technology in the honda concept, the best information i can provide is contact Honda R&D America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Interesting ideas! These designs merely serve as an inspiration for the automobile to evolve! Why do some people think this is exactly what is going to happen?
Precisely!. I myself am shocked with the reactions i got especially this being an automotive forum.
Old 25th October 2008, 15:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

I still fail to understand which of them is a car!!!!

All of them appear to be recreational toys something like the quad-bikes et all.
Old 27th October 2008, 12:06   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I still fail to understand which of them is a car!!!!

All of them appear to be recreational toys something like the quad-bikes et all.
why dont u guys take all of it as an work of art and creativity??
why are you people stuck in the present??
why cant you go ahead and see the future??
the cars you drive and see today are designs made for the present,they will surely evolve in the near future.
just to think about it, who would have imagined that a car as futuristic as a Honda Civic would be openly available to the public?(In the Indian context).
who could digest the fact that cars can now take care of themselves??
cars that can control the brakes, suspension and engine on their own??
They even can locate their own lanes and stay inside them!!!!

For me, cars are not just things or commodities(which maybe the case with many of you). They are complete living beings. they communicate with you, they know you.they are just as living as you & me.....
(I even talk to my car, and people classify me as mad!)

@JRD
i completely agree with you.
The answers are mind boggling!
who thought such negative thought coming out of such a good automotive forum!!
Keep up the good work man..........
love to see more of this........

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2008 at 18:03. Reason: Please read our rules. No more than 2 smilies per post please.
Old 1st November 2008, 14:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

These look more like bugs to me...
Perform a 200% zoom out on those images and they're all ready to be squashed!!!
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:09   #42
BHPian

Hey JRD,

Nice find man.....Stuff like this is what some of us dream to see in the near future.

Technology always grows over period of time. Just because it isnt there now, dosent mean it wont exist in the future and as far as design goes, its each one's own choice.

Last edited by funkydevil : 3rd November 2008 at 23:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks