Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 01:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

How Detroit Drove Into a Ditch

This article came in WSJ on saturday. Provides some insights on how the US auto scene ended up in the current precarious situation. Interesting read. Read on - How Detroit Drove Into a Ditch - WSJ.com

After reading this, I remembered a comment from Jeremy Clarkson on GM. He referred to GM as 'that pension and social welfare company'. How true !
Old 29th October 2008, 02:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a very comprehensive article indeed. I'm sorry to see that it predicts some of the Detroit 3 to vanish next year.
Old 29th October 2008, 02:28   #3
BHPian

i think this article should have come a longtime ago. ford could have saved itself from misery if they sold their europe only cars in US. but they said no we will devolop big SUV's and pick ups because americans do not care about fuel prices. now they are facing the consequences and started devoloping smaller cars and better cars for ex : malibu, cobalt, cruze etc.
Old 29th October 2008, 02:39   #4
BHPian

I think ford doesn't seem to learn. They are busy in promoting their new S(M)UV Flex instead of their small cars. There is a Chrysler showroom near my work place, I could see at least 50 Chrysler Aspens lying there untouched for atleast 4 months !
Old 29th October 2008, 02:50   #5
BHPian

i think ford are thinking atleast to bring their euro models to usa, unlike gm and chrysler.
i think ford flex is good alternative to minivan it gets good mpg, well atleast among the minivans.
Old 29th October 2008, 04:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
i think this article should have come a longtime ago. ford could have saved itself from misery if they sold their europe only cars in US. but they said no we will devolop big SUV's and pick ups because americans do not care about fuel prices. now they are facing the consequences and started devoloping smaller cars and better cars for ex : malibu, cobalt, cruze etc.
No offence, but none of the cars you referred to are built by FORD !! rather, all of them are Chevvy's. The cobalt sucks, I have no experience regarding other two.
Old 29th October 2008, 05:04   #7
BHPian

no i m not saying they are built by ford, i m just saying atleast they are trying to build small fuel efficient cars.
Old 29th October 2008, 08:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Excellent article.
But noone is vanishing. GM is looking to cover lost ground with Cruze, a car that can really help.

Ford will lose further because it is not keen on bringing the European models in US. If they do bring Fiesta, Focus ( European focus in US ), Mondeo, S-Max, then they are winning. But since many years they have not taken this action.
Old 29th October 2008, 09:04   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Ford will lose further because it is not keen on bringing the European models in US. If they do bring Fiesta, Focus ( European focus in US ), Mondeo, S-Max, then they are winning. But since many years they have not taken this action.
And just in case they cannot convert the manufacturing facilities in US quick enough, they can export FBUs from India.

OT- That will throw up a stink amongst the trade unions in US; and the govt will retaliate by asking the Indian govt to allow import of FBUs at lower duties. It is a win-win situation for us consumers!!
Old 29th October 2008, 10:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And just in case they cannot convert the manufacturing facilities in US quick enough, they can export FBUs from India.
Did you mean FBU = Fully Built Unit ?
If so, then I call it CBU = Completely Built Unit.

This possibility is certain to meet with success. Chevrolet Aveo that is sold in India is also sold in US with the same 1.6 ltr engine. Now Ford Fiesta in India can also be sold there and I am sure buyers there will appreciate the better than Hyundai Verna and Chevrolet Aveo 1.6 engine, good build quality and driving pleasure atlesat handling wise. But I dont think this thought crossed Ford's mind.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Book on GM

It is also very interesting to read the book "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" by John Z. DeLorean. Gives an insider's view of how things are managed and mismanaged within the company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks