Team-BHP - Porsche Cayenne Diesel Revealed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Porsche Cayenne Diesel Revealed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/49362-porsche-cayenne-diesel-revealed.html)

In a move that has been expected for several years now, Porsche has announced the addition of a diesel engine for the Cayenne SUV lineup. The company decided to introduce the diesel in response to stricter emission regulations in Europe and more favorable tax incentives.

Porsche reached in the Volkswagen goodie bag and grabbed a three-liter V6 turbo diesel which produces 240 hp (176 kW) and 550 Nm of torque. The engine allows the Cayenne to achieve an average fuel consumption of 9.3 liters per 100 kilometers while emitting 244 grams of CO2 per kilometer. As a point of comparison, Porsche estimates that the upcoming Cayenne Hybrid will use less than nine liters of fuel per 100 kilometers.

The new diesel Cayenne will go on sale in Europe in February and preparations for other markets are currently underway. All diesel Cayenne's will come equipped with the Tiptronic-S transmission and European pricing will start at €47,250.

Source: Porsche

I better start saving up :)

Porsche, please setup an assembly plant in India to make this slightly more affordable for us !

I'm sure even with these import duties, the porsche showrooms in bombay and delhi are getting flooded with bookings.

Wow I bet this will be a huge hit in India! Good move by Porsche!

Whatever is the world coming to!! A Porsche SUV was hard enough to gulp down, and now there is a diesel Porsche. What's next? A diesel Ferrari? I am sure that it will be a heck of a drive, be a sales success and all that.

But this just ain't no Porsche.

What's going on?! All legendary car Co's are losing their essence by introducing certain models to expand their markets! Can't blame them though as it's essential for survival.

Awww heck. 3 years too late for me.

Prices look to be on the lower side for Porsche. Gonna be yet another runaway success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1062139)
Whatever is the world coming to!! A Porsche SUV was hard enough to gulp down, and now there is a diesel Porsche. What's next? A diesel Ferrari? I am sure that it will be a heck of a drive, be a sales success and all that.

But this just ain't no Porsche.

Whats wrong in a diesel porsche? If other car markers are planning V10 & V12 diesel sports cars then why not a diesel cayanne?

Porsche is a proactive company, they are giving the market what it needs and demands. Diesel is being accepted as an eco-friendly and cost effective fuel so if a Hybrid Porsche panamera is acceptable without hurting Porsches image, this car certainly fits the bill.

As long as the car performs like a Porsche and in addition saves you some cash how does it matter what you fill her up with.

I wonder what is next CNG, LPG? lol:

Great move by Porsche and at the right time i would say. I dont see them makeing any mistakes as to the market demand and fullfilling it to the T. The diesel would be greatly accepted in India, as everyone here has only one question. What FE does it return. I for one will surely buy it, if it is reasonably priced. I did not buy the petrol as it was not an economical for the long runs i would use it for. This i can take anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 1062562)
Whats wrong in a diesel porsche?

Sure, I see the point in selling a 6 cylinder Porsche which has about the same horsepower as a mundane family sedan like the BMW 530D. And with the massive weight of the SUV, it's anyones guess if she is going to perform like a true Porsche should.

Plus, when did buying a Porsche suddenly become about fuel efficiency? I understand all the talk about global economics, being enviro-friendly and a country like the States suddenly becoming conscious about fuel economy (oil barrels are now down to $50 by the way).

Quote:

If other car markers are planning V10 & V12 diesel sports cars then why not a diesel cayanne?
Which other manufacturers, who do NOT have a diesel history and have never been mass market, have ventured into fast diesel cars? Audi R8? Audi was always known for its diesels and the diesel image fits. For a hallowed brand like Porsche, this is brand dilution at its absolute worst.

Quote:

Porsche is a proactive company, they are giving the market what it needs and demands.
A Porsche that can't high-revv? No thanks. Whats next? A diesel Porsche Sedan (Uggggggghhhhhhh). Can you imagine a Ferrari without that delectable exhaust note? Or a Ferrari that redlines @ 4,500 rpm versus 9,000?

I read a line once on Porsches philosophy. Mind you, this was pretty recent and not during the time of the excesses of the 80's : "Make vehicles that fulfill the same fundamental design requirements of a race car; and still deliver the comfort, convenience, safety and security demanded for everyday use". I fail to see how a diesel Cayenne is in line with this philosophy.

Poor 'ol Ferdinand Porsche must be turning in his grave.

End of the day, its gonna make money for the company. And since many people would buy it, it means customers are happy and a diesel Porsche would surely not steer away customers looking at the 911.

It surely makes business sense and a right move by Porsche.

There is a big difference in the Porsche and Ferrari. P had cars from 50kUSD to 200k USD ( exclude the Carrera GT). F is all above 200k USD.

Above 200k, you dont need a diesel. But 50k to 100k, there surely is a diesel market.

If brand dilution was the case, then the Boxster wouldn't exist in the first place. I know Boxster can still teach a lesson to many in terms of handling, but the story ends there and the competition is not far behind.

AMG planning a diesel again confirms a right move by Porsche.

What a move indeed!! I was wondering when porsche would get the brains to do something like this. Anyways, Speedy, Regretting the M??? :D:D

This is very interesting, first it was a SUV from Porsche, then the sedan now a diesel! They have completely lost it, now not eveyone would agree with this point of view but the exclusivity of Porsche (formerly being a sport car manufacturer solely) is being diluted with the release of such models. Then again in harsh times of competition and global crisis this should not come as a surprise I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 1063367)
What a move indeed!! I was wondering when porsche would get the brains to do something like this. Anyways, Speedy, Regretting the M??? :D:D

No not regretting the ML atall, i love the car. I just have my second SUV figured out now.
While compareing the ML and the information of the Porsche Diesel. The BHP are almost the same the torque of the Porsche is 30 nm more. I figure it would be a tad bit lighter than the ML too. I would not call it a mover but a quick car, Unlike its Petrol brother which would be a tornado in comparision. I do hope they come up in due course with bigger engines, this would surely be a plus for them. I would expect the car to be in the city by March or April next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 1063358)
End of the day, its gonna make money for the company. And since many people would buy it, it means customers are happy and a diesel Porsche would surely not steer away customers looking at the 911.

It surely makes business sense and a right move by Porsche.

There is a big difference in the Porsche and Ferrari. P had cars from 50kUSD to 200k USD ( exclude the Carrera GT). F is all above 200k USD.

Above 200k, you dont need a diesel. But 50k to 100k, there surely is a diesel market.

If brand dilution was the case, then the Boxster wouldn't exist in the first place. I know Boxster can still teach a lesson to many in terms of handling, but the story ends there and the competition is not far behind.

AMG planning a diesel again confirms a right move by Porsche.

Well put Dipen ! agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1063266)
Sure, I see the point in selling a 6 cylinder Porsche which has about the same horsepower as a mundane family sedan like the BMW 530D. And with the massive weight of the SUV, it's anyones guess if she is going to perform like a true Porsche should.

Which other manufacturers, who do NOT have a diesel history and have never been mass market, have ventured into fast diesel cars? Audi R8? Audi was always known for its diesels and the diesel image fits. For a hallowed brand like Porsche, this is brand dilution at its absolute worst.

In that case the v6 petrol cayanne too is only almost quick as the mundane family sedan, the 530i. Infact the diesel cayanne would outrun the existing petrol v6 cayanne IMO. Porsche is just testing the waters but getting a decently powerful diesel powerplant, ofcourse judging by the response the mightly v12 diesel would make it's way into the cayanne's hood.

Porsche need not have a history of diesel engines, it has a headstart thanks to its brother VW.