Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2005, 00:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accord first drive

Guys

I'm in Saudi Arabia today, and got a ride in a brand new Hyundai Accord, sorry Hyundai Sonata taxi from the airport.

I didnt realise it was the new Sonata till I got inside and didnt find the familiar interiors of the Accord. Told the chap (Bangla driver) to stop midway so that I could take a look at the outside and sure enough it looked almost exactly like the Accord. They tried a mishmash of the Jag's backside the with Merc's headlamps and a toothy korean grille in the older Sonata, but this is ridiculous - Honda should take them to court.

Other than that, the vehicle seems eerily silent inside. It seems to shut out noise very well when compared to other cars in the segment, but this could be because its showroom condition (still had the polythene covers on the seats). The driver had been on Camry duty till the new car came and he says he feels this is a better car, though "Camry tho Camry hai, saab"

Plastics seems a whole generation ahead of the shiny fake-wood on the older Sonata, and boot is much bigger.

I've got the chaps mobile number and I will call him for the ride back to the airport later this week. Will hopefully have more time then, and I hope to sneak a ride on it too.

Till then....bye. I still feel Honda should sue them, though.
Old 10th April 2005, 01:31   #2
BHPian

god i got scared for a moment.
reading the topic Hyundai Accord. i was like :WTF:
but cool you had a nice time in the 'accorded' sonata.
post some pics when you have a ride in it later.

Last edited by gamerno1 : 10th April 2005 at 01:35.
Old 10th April 2005, 10:41   #3
BHPian

HYUNDAI ACCORD ....... ..
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...
that was good ...
Well Imitation is the best form of flattery ...
so i do not think Honda will sue them ....
Old 10th April 2005, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

No need to sue them. Now, the whole world knows they have no imagination. Like someone once said, "These people make cars like we make white goods".

Shan2nu
Old 10th April 2005, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

i saw the new hyundai sonatas being tested near the factory's roads... honestly, i liked the looks and thats because they resemble the accord.

one hot fact is that i noticed one car having two exhaust tailpipes. not like the VTEC though but like a sports car.
Old 10th April 2005, 12:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I was like *** when i read the topic.
Anyway Steeroid, what would yousay is better. This or the HONDA accord?
Old 10th April 2005, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
I was like *** when i read the topic.
Anyway Steeroid, what would yousay is better. This or the HONDA accord?
Too short a drive to make any decisions, but it manages to look more 'European' than the Accord and the level of finish is excellent - it even gives you a 'well built' feel of Euro cars, more than the Accord but that could be because its a brand new car.

However - even if it proves to be a better car than the Accord I will have serious reservations about driving a 'look-alike' of any car. For that one reason alone, I wouldnt even consider the new Sonata.
Old 10th April 2005, 13:18   #8
BANNED

the title did put me in. u got pics of it. im really looking forward to the launch of this as it is a good car looking wise hope they price it 2 laks under the accord though orelse they aint selling
Old 12th April 2005, 02:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice title huh!! lol
Anyways,could you carry a cam and post some pics if you can on you ride back???
Also did you sit on the front seat??? Cos thats where hyundai vibrations are felf the most.Try it out.

X
Old 12th April 2005, 03:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

i like the title more than anything , lol .

manson .
Old 12th April 2005, 13:03   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice to hear that the Sonata seems to be much more "European" than the generation it replaces.

Butttttttttttttttttt however good this car may be, its an inethical design copy. This is not going to do the cars image any good, and in the D segment - Image counts.

GTO
Old 12th April 2005, 13:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good review there steeriod . The car seems to be better than the outgoing model but from what I hear if the pricing would be in the region of 14 lakhs that too I'm sure that by the time it hits Indian roads will be 15 odd on road, its going to be difficult for it. With the 2.4 Accord and new Mondeo in similar territory, things wont be easy for the Korean flagship model. Hyundai seriously need to rethink over its pricing not only for the Sonata but for every other upcoming model as well.

Dippy
Old 12th April 2005, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
With the 2.4 Accord and new Mondeo in similar territory, things wont be easy for the Korean flagship model. Hyundai seriously need to rethink over its pricing not only for the Sonata but for every other upcoming model as well.
Dippy
Yes Hyundai need to review their pricing for the top end models. However, the Sonata may not be as overpriced as the Tucson since it will not be a CBU import. The Tucson's pricing is probably a result of the high duties for a CBU, which is a mistake as far as Hyundai are concerned. They've lost one customer - me.

The 'new' Mondy.... well, it isnt any different from the 'old' Mondy. Personally feel the older one is smoother, too.
Old 3rd May 2005, 19:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I visited the DXB Hyundai dealer and had a very short test drive in the 3.3 litre V6 which felt extremely eager. The screwup was that there was no manual option - apparantly the manual is only available on the 2.4 and then you have to ORDER for one. This is not surprising since DXB doesnt like manuals - my manual Mondy was the 'unsold' piece with the dealer and hence got a damn good deal.

H-matic is available, and it does give you the semi-manual option but then I've never liked any of those clutchless manuals. Nevertheless it is useful when you want to make a quick entry into a roundabout, faster than your autobox can react.

I've hooked up with the dealer for a much longer test drive this weekend, but my initial impressions are thus:

1. The car feels more european than most of the others in its bracket, Accord, Camry, Mondy, whatever. Its more in the Passat league.

2. Its extremely comfortable, though the seats are not as comfy as the Mondy (well, the E240s seats arent as comfy for me!)

3. Power is phenomenal from the 3.3 litre engine. I havent checked out the 2.4, which was what my Taxi in Saudi Arabia was running when I first sat in the new Sonata. BTW somebody mentioned seeing a Sonata on test in Chennai with two tailpipes - that is the 3.3 litre V6.

4. I rather like the front end a lot, even if the back end is DITTO Accord.

5. The car is extremely roomy - plenty of space inside and this is now in Camry territory as far as space is concerned.

6. Ergonomics are great, par of the course for this class.

I promised some photographs for you, but the ones I had taken with my camera arent worth posting...

I've therefore done some image trawling on Google and here are the pics that I came up with.

I am beginning to like this vehicle despite the Accord backend...it does feel a lot more solid than the Accord, and has a plush ride almost like the Camry (without quite so much 'cushioning').

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd May 2005 at 19:49.
Old 3rd May 2005, 19:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interior is several notches ahead of the old one. Exterior lacks a clear personality...too many influences for other cars. If you ask me, the old Sonata had a strong personality and looked better than the Jag it was inspired by. I'm sure the driving dynamics are much better than the old one too....how does it compare to the Mondy in that regard?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks