Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 08:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology

I was sure that Merc will introduce something better than its rival especially if there is a challenge for the S-class. Here is one of the latest tech which will be seen in the next S-class - SPLITVIEW Screen Technology

Sometimes when two or more people disagree, it's best to split them up. Mercedes-Benz is thinking along the same lines with its new SPLITVIEW technology which will premier where else but in the S-Class in summer 2009. The technology's premise is to basically allow two different programmes to be viewed from the same 8-inch screen.

How does it work? Basically the in-dash monitor shows a backlit active matrix TFT-LCD screen that shows two different images at the same time by placing pixels adjacent to each other. Then a filter which masks the display separates the mixed pixels making one or the other image viewable depending on the seating position. This results in two different images being shown.

SPLITVIEW is developed by Mercedes in conjunction with Bosch and it integrates with COMAND. The front passenger can then watch movies or television while the driver concentrates on the road. To further split the two, headphones can be used to insulate the driver from whatever soundtrack is being played from the other "screen".

Source: Media.Daimler AG
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology-mercedesbenzsplitviewscreentechnology.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 18:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

One more technology that will be seen in the facelifted S-class. PreScan suspension system. Here it how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology-prescan-2.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology-prescan5qz7.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 18:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have a question about the Active Body Control technology. In the example given above the sensors scan the road and figure out that there is a bump in front. They adjust for the body to be almost parallel to the road. Everything is clear till here. But once the front wheels have gone over the bumps the controller will also need to use the same logic for the rear wheels. Right? But the time taken from front wheels passing over the bump and rear wheels passing over is dependent on vehicle speed. For example while doing 100 kmph the time taken is 1 sec where as at 50 kmph it will be 2 seconds. Does the controller also take the vehicle speed into account? I think it would but just want to clarify.
Old 12th December 2008, 04:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I have a question about the Active Body Control technology. In the example given above the sensors scan the road and figure out that there is a bump in front. They adjust for the body to be almost parallel to the road. Everything is clear till here. But once the front wheels have gone over the bumps the controller will also need to use the same logic for the rear wheels. Right? But the time taken from front wheels passing over the bump and rear wheels passing over is dependent on vehicle speed. For example while doing 100 kmph the time taken is 1 sec where as at 50 kmph it will be 2 seconds. Does the controller also take the vehicle speed into account? I think it would but just want to clarify.
When the Pre-Scan system scans the road for the front wheels, it is obviously taking speed and distance into consideration to adjust the suspension accordingly for the front, the same will apply for the rear wheels too. That means though the scan is done once and it works for both front and rear bumpers

Tell me if I'm dumb

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 12th December 2008 at 04:37.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
....will be seen in the next S-class - SPLITVIEW Screen Technology...
Very cool usage of it.
From my understanding its almost like a vertically interlaced image with a lenticular screen overlay (similar to those on "holograms" found on toys, and authenticity stamps).

Another very cool use of this technology is by Philips in a series of TVs they call WOWvx 3D.

Instead of showing two different images/videos like in the S-class, they simply show a left-eye view and a right-eye view, and the angle of the screen overlay is such that your left eye sees the left image and your right eye the right -- creating a true 3D viewing effect with absolutely no paraphernalia required.

Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology-180image213562.jpg

Mercedes-Benz SPLITVIEW Screen & PRE-SCAN Technology-370stereovision13563.jpg

Source: Technology - Royal Philips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
One more technology that will be seen in the facelifted S-class. PreScan suspension system. Here it how it works.
FINALLY!!!!
I have been waiting for this technology forever and was suprised that no auto-maker had done anything like it!
Infact we were just discussing it last month : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ml#post1056602

Surely there is some talk that it would make speedbreakers or "sleeping-policemen" (as they are sometimes called) fairly useless -- however a simple software switch that only enables the system when you are travelling at a safe (below XYZ) speed would fix that dilemma.

Quote:
...Does the controller also take the vehicle speed into account? I think it would but just want to clarify.
Yes ofcourse!
From 5th standard physics : time = distance / speed
...and the ECU most definitely knows the speed of the car, so its a really simple process to calculate time (distance is the wheelbase).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 19:11.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Viper_SRT & Rehaan - Thanks for clarifying first doubt.

Another doubt. What happens when the bump is diagonal when compared to direction of travel of the car?
Old 17th December 2008, 13:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another doubt. What happens when the bump is diagonal when compared to direction of travel of the car?
Vikram,

The system has two LIDAR sensors -- one in each headlamp.

This info is basically plugged into a computer and manipulates the existing Active Body Control (ABC) system found on some Mercs.

Given that there are two sensors (one in line with the left wheels, and one in line with the right wheels) the system probably runs the left and right sides almost independant of each other. In other words - it wont have any problems with a diagonal speedbreaker, or even half a speedbreaker etc.

Things get a little trickier when the car is encountering bumps on a curve, but given that the system surely has access to the existing sensors (steering input sensor, accelerometer, etc) im sure it adjusts for it -- very similar to how the mercedes distronic system still mantains a fixed distance from the car infront of it even when taking turns on the highway.

cya
R
Old 17th December 2008, 15:13   #8
BHPian

and what about bumps and potholes on Indian Roads. I doubt any number of sensors will be actually be able to make sense and map a typical Indian road profile.

Considering the technology that goes into a S-class,probably once the sensor management system goes crazy in a situation similar to Indian road.
A message might pop up on to the drivers screen and stop the vehicle altogether.
saying
"i hate these roads .... Are you in India???? Can i please be driven in some other country"
Old 17th December 2008, 23:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
and what about bumps and potholes on Indian Roads. I doubt any number of sensors will be actually be able to make sense and map a typical Indian road profile.

Considering the technology that goes into a S-class,probably once the sensor management system goes crazy in a situation similar to Indian road.
A message might pop up on to the drivers screen and stop the vehicle altogether.
saying
"i hate these roads .... Are you in India???? Can i please be driven in some other country"
funny, lol
In case of Indian roads the suspension will always be in the comfort mode all the time without getting stiffer at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks