Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 22:15   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Lemon? Sitting in which car's rear seat did you get this info?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-1-2years.html

Back then, I was a newbie here. Today, I will not give that thread any value. (One-off incident, at best).
Old 12th January 2009, 23:40   #17
BHPian

Where is the badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thats a real surprise.First time, I am reading different bhp/torque figures for different fuel types.

And alteast we have the Jetta, the first runner up in India.
In the photo by JK Das of the black Genesis I cannot see the Hyundai badge. Have they dedided that the Hyundai badge is not befitting the car.
Old 13th January 2009, 13:17   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Genesis marks Hyundais coming of age in luxury cars. And with the new buzzword being value, this award is not surprising at all. Forget what the media says, the Genesis has received rave reviews in various American blogs & enthusiast forums alike. It is supremely quiet & luxurious. Hyundai kept the Japs in check with their Civic / Corolla / Accord / Camry competitors. Now, entry-level Germans better watch out....especially the VW's and to an extent, the C & 3 series. I only wish Hyundai is able to carve out a separate luxury brand (a la Lexus). The badge & existing dealerships may be a deterrent to many a potential customer.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

I must admit, this is a commendable effort by the Koreans. The car is certainly no lemon.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Genesis is scoring very high on Consumer Reports' bargain luxury cars.
Old 13th January 2009, 23:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Performance seems top notch.A colleague of mine owns one,and he loves the car! Except for a few minor things here and there,everything else about the car makes it fall in a different category/class. Specs show that the 4.6L beats the BMW 535,the CTS and a bunch of other cars.
Good job by Hyundai!
Old 16th January 2009, 11:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
376BHP and a 4.6 V8 these Koreans are surely crazy.

Even midsize family sedans with V6 engines are pumping around 270 HP (Altima, Camry, Accord, Mazda6).
For a full size luxury sedan, 376 HP is definitely not crazy.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Even if it sells for a million dollars Hyundai and Korea are two very downmarket names in America. You may call it downright American snobbery but that is (or now we should perhaps say "was") the reality of the situation.
Slightly OT - Skoda in Europe has gone through a similar upward move in its image from being a shoddy Communist block auto maker till the other day.
Sudipto, Hyundai is on its way up, and we have to accept that. Today the i10 and i20 in India are changing the way we look at them, similarly the Genesis is changing the way americans / europeans look at them. For car brands changing imagery is not v difficult, start selling good quality cars your imagery will automatically go up. For Decades Hyundai has been making cars that appealed only to Asians, but now they are building cars that appeal to the tastes of the Americans and Europeans.

So it might be difficult for a year or two for Hyundia, but once they are consistently making good quality cars, their 'imagery' will by default go up.

Slight off topic : And about Skoda, Skoda made a upward move from its Shoddy communist block auto maker to a respectable automaker, it is because they made cars that appeal to the Europeans, look at their earlier cars, the Felicia, the Rapide, the Favourite, these frankly were very challenged cars.
But once they started making the Fabias, the Octavias, the new Superbs, their image improved.

So the change from a downmarket brand to a good / decent brand is just 2 / 3 years.

Cheers,
AC
Old 16th January 2009, 14:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Genesis is scoring very high on Consumer Reports' bargain luxury cars.
Yes. CR rates Genesis as the top rated "Large Upscale Sedan". It is followed by Lexus ES 350, Toyota Avalon XLS, Acura TL Base Nissan Maxima and Hyundai Azera Limited.
Old 16th January 2009, 15:57   #25
BHPian

What a surprise I must say. When I read the initial journalistic reviews of Genesis in US, they were patronising articles, to say the least. "Poor man's BMW" - one magazine proclaimed. Another labelled it as a "Lexus copycat', further more as "pack the car with enough features and undercut the Luxury Sedan market with low pricing to make up for brand image"- rather nasty stuff.
As many have pointed out here, they still have some way to go in terms of image building in the western markets.
As a happy Indian Hyundai customer, I can only say - congrats!
Old 16th January 2009, 16:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

I saw this car last month and it really looks handsome. Moreover, this award is voted by all auto journalists in North America.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

i must say Hyundai has done its research properly...
the car looks spectacular..
Old 16th January 2009, 17:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Slight off topic : And about Skoda, Skoda made a upward move from its Shoddy communist block auto maker to a respectable automaker, it is because they made cars that appeal to the Europeans, look at their earlier cars, the Felicia, the Rapide, the Favourite, these frankly were very challenged cars.
But once they started making the Fabias, the Octavias, the new Superbs, their image improved.
The takeover of Skoda by VW could be a reason why Skoda started making better cars which appealed to the Europeans and others.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
The takeover of Skoda by VW could be a reason why Skoda started making better cars which appealed to the Europeans and others.
Exactly. You are right. My point was once you start making good quality cars, regardless of your origin you are respected.

Cheers,
AC
Old 17th January 2009, 11:32   #30
HPP
BHPian

The Genesis sedan is a very nice car. Every time I see one it catches my eye. At SEMA the modded Genesis's were spectacular. And this isn't the top, there is another luxury model to top this one and go after the "super luxury" segment. Hyundai is on it's way up very similar to what Honda/Toyota/Subaru has done over the last 20+ years(sales/reputation/reliability).

And to those talking about VW/Skoda, VW does not make quality cars. They are some of the worst out there(this is coming from someone who works along side those who repair all the VW and Audi's that have soooooo many problems). Just had to chime in when I saw a comment about VW/Skoda "making better cars".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks