Team-BHP - Supercar Tuning- Is it really necessary?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Supercar Tuning- Is it really necessary? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/5251-supercar-tuning-really-necessary.html)

I mean, what is the point of tuning cars that are already plenty fast, slapping ugly extra fittings on to them thus spoiling their look. The tuned cars may go faster, but it still is very silly indeed to me.

The Hamann 360, Brabus SLR, Brabus Maybach are such examples. I even heard of some tuning company planning to introduce a tuned version of the CGT!!!! Even all the RUF cars stun me.

Look, I think its okay to tune not-so-fast cars to make them faster, like C-class, E-class, 3-series etc. but to tune supercars is another game, which is better left not played.

I am not damning the acheivements to great tuners like Brabus, Carllson etc but I feel they are going too far when they tune supercars. What do you think???

Some supercars are mostly tuned to compete in races like Lemans, etc. Secondly by putting more power to a car or a supercar, the company can prove itself and show the world its capabilities.

Well, you know about BHP......... more is never enough!
Apart from that, its all about squeezing as much as possible from a given car... no matter which car it is. Its always about making a car faster than its stock form. I am completely okay with the companies making tuned super cars because, a tuned car, IMO is an engineers car.....it'll have the best possible equipment one can think of and its not governed by some marketing manager (is that the right term??) who'll look to make a car fit in the right price bracket in the competition.

I personally feel it removes that intangible element of finish and completeness ( I cannot find other words to express them, but you know what I mean).

And the body mods they add are truly hideous you have to agree.

Supercars are designed with few compromises in mind as far as design goes. They are designed to look simple and beautiful. The whole point is lost when these tuners add their body kits.

If you talk in terms of bodykits which have no positive effect on performance, then its a waste, i agree.... no point of having them on at all.

Not in terms of performance, as I've said, in terms of aesthetics, they completley spoil the look of the cars. Supercars arent meant to be slapped with ricer-like spoilers sideskirts etc etc. They are meant o look simple and beautiful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shravan316
If you talk in terms of bodykits which have no positive effect on performance, then its a waste, i agree.... no point of having them on at all.

Shravan, if we talking about supercars then all those bodykit etc. will probably be added onto the car only if it increases the general pace of the car.

Like Stratos, its a way for Manufacturers/tuners to proove their capabilities.

One question Islero, what do you think of the Lancer Evo series?? Are they also a waste in your opinion?

:D hey guys...its like saying even the most beautiful women in the world need makeup to come out!!!
its the human mentality...they want more from everything...never satisfied!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
Supercars arent meant to be slapped with ricer-like spoilers sideskirts etc etc. They are meant o look simple and beautiful.

I cant remember of any 'simple-looking' supercars other than graceful Ferraris and Lamborghinis of the 60's-70's. Currently, cars like the Enzo, SLR, Koenigsegg etc etc, all are madated by the requirements of performance, not aesthetics. Of course there are graceful ones like the Continental GT, Astons and the Carrera GT, to an extent.

If it is a waste to tune a supercar, then probably supercars themselves are a waste, since you never ever get to use their full potential. Supercars are a manufacturer's pinnacle of achievement, the owner's pride and other's envy. Tuners seek to showcase their skills (or lack of it) to the world by hotting up these cars. It could be better or for worse. On a different note, I think Ruf and Techart bodykits improve the looks of original Porsches. To each, his own.

Manti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeps
Shravan, if we talking about supercars then all those bodykit etc. will probably be added onto the car only if it increases the general pace of the car.

Like Stratos, its a way for Manufacturers/tuners to proove their capabilities.

One question Islero, what do you think of the Lancer Evo series?? Are they also a waste in your opinion?

The normal Lancer is not exotic in any way, there seems to be nothing wrong in making it go faster. And when the donor car looks so dull, bodykits can only make it look better!!!

So, taking the inproved aesthetics and the out-of-the-world performance gap into the equation, I would say they are certainly not a waste.
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
:D hey guys...its like saying even the most beautiful women in the world need makeup to come out!!!
its the human mentality...they want more from everything...never satisfied!!!

It has always been said that the most beautiful women never need makeup to show their beauty. I feel it is the same with supercars.

Yup, it is necessary. I would want to modify my Mclaren F1 if my neighbour was to own a 1000 bhp Supra. LOL

The race to perfection has no finish line. There's always room for more.

But just power ain't gonna help, your car should be as impressive in the bends, as in a straight line.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
It has always been said that the most beautiful women never need makeup to show their beauty.

That statement was/is always made by men who don't have a clue about makeup :) . Women would laugh at that statement. Therefore your analogy is wrong.

Islero i beg to differ.

Sure, more is never enough. And that supercars by their own agenda are useless, since no more than 1% of its life does it ever spend using all its ponies.

But the point really is, these tuners have some expertise. And they need a platform to showcase. Sure there are some of these tuners who are horsepower hungry. For instance, Digitec doesn't have a great name among BMW tuning houses, but Dinan does. Reasons are simple. Digitec powerkits and performance mods make them great straightline performers, but put them into a corner and they scramble for grip and a good line. Dinan on the other hand works hard on getting the best balance between power and handling. Same goes even for guys like Hartge, AC Schnitzer and the king of them all, Alpina.

Even Porsche has its fair share of black marked tuners. So does Ferrari and Lamborghini and Mercedes.

So at the end of the day should supercars be tuned? Man is a social animal. And an animal who likes to live life in excess. It is hard to change thoughts of people and truly convince them that such excesses are a waste. But then again, man also likes to push limits and test the laws of life. And physics. Tuners also act as a testbed for several supercar manufacturers to try out new technologies. Or solutions to problems. For instance, the E-39 M5 has some of the worst stock brake pads. Solution? Getting yourself some metal performance pads developed by these tuners. BMW learnt this the hard way and just observe how the new E-60 M5 has set a higher benchmark in the field of braking.

For me tuners should exist. Otherwise man's conquest with the extremes will just evaporate in one area.

Revv

Guys, I wasnt so convinced that their performance needed to be increased, but now you guys have convinced me about that.

Hey, revvmaster and others, then what do you think about the spoilers, skirts and ugly extra scoops they bolt on in the name of better looks? I think they are hideous.

I would rather if they made the improvements and left the outside of the car in the same clean beautiful state.