Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 20:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Return of The Citroen DS

The original Citroen DS launched in 1955 and made until 1976, was among the best looking cars of all times and many surveys have selected this car in the Top Ten best designed cars ever.Citroen has planned to revive this car but the new pictures revealed do not come close to the retro looks of the original.To see this car at its prime one must see the Hollywood picture "The Day of the Jackal" where the then French President Gen Charles De'Gaulle, is seen moving in a convoy of DS's and is targeted by a shooter.
The Return of The Citroen DS-27citroends.jpg

The original version (Source channel 14)
The Return of The Citroen DS-250px1974_citroen_dspecial_02.jpg

The 1974 version (source Wikipedia)
The Return of The Citroen DS-car_photo_301128_7.jpg

The new one scheduled for launch in 2010

Picture Source Auto Express UK

More text from Auto Express
Watch out MINI! This stunning machine is an all-new small luxury car from Citroen, and not only does it revive the legendary DS badge but it will spearhead a fresh range of premium Citroen models.
The exciting news was announced at a special event on the Champs Elysees, Paris, where this remarkable model took pride of place. Called the DS Inside, it’s a concept that points the way to a production version, which is set to go on sale in early 2010.
The original DS, which was launched back in 1955, was one of the most important models in Citroen’s history and the French firm is hoping to draw on its legendary reputation for luxury, innovation and style with its new premium line-up.
While the DS name was a play on the French word déeesse, meaning goddess, the new badge stands for Different Spirit. And as you can see from these amazing pictures, the new model certainly stands out.
One thing is for sure, the DS range will be priced significantly higher than the existing Citroen C3, C4 and C5 line-up. With the MINI range kicking off at almost £12,000, the DS3 is likely to cost a similar amount.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th February 2009 at 20:58.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ah! The Goddess!! Gorgeous!
The new one looks YUCK compared to the original IMHO. The huge coverall grill makes it look like an SUV.

Last edited by shuvd : 9th February 2009 at 22:04.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:19   #3
BHPian

I dont see the connection at ALL !

The classic was a 4-door saloon, and the new one is a 2-door hatch/suv ??
Old 9th February 2009, 23:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It was beautiful. I wasted several hundred pounds buying a rusted wreck of a 20-ish estate version a long time back. Even the owner tried to put me off buying it, knowing that nobody without their own welding gear and the skill to use it would ever get it on the road again, and he was right, I didn't.

I could be wrong, but I think much of the body was aluminium (it was certainly thin), but a steel chassis was where my problems lay.

Ahhh... the suspension system that pumped the car up when you started the engine.

Wha! The size of the engine, and the complexity of the stuff under the bonnet (car engines were still pretty simple in those days), especially the hydaulics, which worked everything: brakes, steering, suspension

Ouch... the single-spoke steering wheel, which was the steering column bent to form the spoke --- I bet that took a few guts out in accidents.

Leather bench seat, steering column gear change..

The new one looks like a mini that went under a very low bridge.
Old 10th February 2009, 09:44   #5
BANNED

Brillisnt. the Original FrogMobile (as it was called in the UK) in back. Look at the technology in the 50's:

Hydropneumatic self levelling suspension with variable height. One bonus no need to jack up for wheel changes -just raise the suspension, insert wheel stand(s) ane lower the suspension.
High Mounted Rear Stop Lights
Self centering power steering
'By wire' brakes
Streamlined.........
Old 10th February 2009, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the connection between the original DeeSe and the new DeeSe wannabe... am i missing something? The old one was quirky french design but had lots of charm. The new one looks like a mini crossover vehicle.
Old 10th February 2009, 10:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

the original DS was a marvel. this is just some other car platform dressed up to resemble it to sell it. show us some cutting edge stuff and then it might be special
Old 10th February 2009, 11:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Brillisnt. .........
Typo? Or excellent new word?

Brillisn't. Spot on
Old 10th February 2009, 12:56   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This monstrosity is nothing short of an abomination. It is a Goddess in no way. There cannot be anything as pathbreaking as the original Goddess in 55. She had immense proportions and presence, yet sleek.

More reading here

Citroen DS in India
Old 10th February 2009, 13:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Brillisnt. the Original FrogMobile (as it was called in the UK) in back. Look at the technology in the 50's:

Hydropneumatic self levelling suspension with variable height. One bonus no need to jack up for wheel changes -just raise the suspension, insert wheel stand(s) ane lower the suspension.
High Mounted Rear Stop Lights
Self centering power steering
'By wire' brakes
Streamlined.........
Not to forget the unique single spoke steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (516.3 KB, 657 views)
Old 10th February 2009, 13:21   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Typo? Or excellent new word?

Brillisn't. Spot on
Oops. It was indeed a typo.

Also, I missed out the single spoke steering wheel as correctly pointed out, and I am sure come others. The ride was brilliant (smoooo....ooth) provided you had a sense of humour - it will sigh up and down at every stop light. One other point - most DSs had damaged skirts - caused by the car being parked over a kerb and the suspension settling down with time.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am sure the latest avatar will find success. The original DS was a gem without doubt, with features that became more common on high end luxury cars in late 90's.
IIRC, this was the first car to have monocoque construction. Most of all the features of this car were " reinvented " by other manufacturers in 90's.

All I can say, welcome back DS. I hope this new one is the odd one out.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

What a waste of a sub brand. DS meant creativity and elegance
Old 10th February 2009, 22:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops. It was indeed a typo.

Also, I missed out the single spoke steering wheel as correctly pointed out, and I am sure come others. The ride was brilliant (smoooo....ooth) provided you had a sense of humour - it will sigh up and down at every stop light. One other point - most DSs had damaged skirts - caused by the car being parked over a kerb and the suspension settling down with time.
Well, I hope that your typo will be adopted by the community to express the opposite of brilliant: I'm sure I'll use it

And I mentioned the potentially disembowelling single spoke wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
What a waste of a sub brand. DS meant creativity and elegance
When the Ford Ka came out, one review said that the world had turned upside down, with Ford producing interesting designs, and Citroen producing boring ones.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th February 2009 at 22:41.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When the Ford Ka came out, one review said that the world had turned upside down, with Ford producing interesting designs, and Citroen producing boring ones.
When the ZX came out, my uncle asked me "how good was it?"

I said it was a nice Peugeot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks