Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 23:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Source:Car News and reviews, videos, wallpapers, pictures, free games and more. - Top Speed

It looks like the aim for the 2010 new BMW 5-Series is bigger and lighter. The new sedan is expected in 2010 (possibly as a 2011 model) and will share a platform with the the 6 and 7-Series. Because it’s now sharing underpinnings with its big brother, the next 5-Series will gain at least a few inches in length.

BMW 5 series GT (progressive activity sedan) revealed-another unconventional BMW-moredetailsonthe1_1280x0w.jpg

Even with this additional room, the sports sedan is expected to be lighter than the current car. BMW plans use aluminum on for the roof, fenders and other large body panels. Also expected on the new 5-series will be adaptive damping, integral steering, side-view cameras, and a night vision aid for recognizing pedestrians in the dark.
Another place BMW will find a weight savings will be with the engines. As reported last month, the top of the line M5 will drop the V10 in favor of a lighter twin-turbo V8. Turbocharging will also likely help lesser models as well. It’s rumored that engine choices may include a 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight six for the 540i; a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 for the 550i; and even a twin-turbo diesel model for the U.S.
If this is correct BMW has finally abandoned its car naming structure, which used to give the series number followed by the engine displacement. For example the previous generation (E39) BMW 525 was a 5-Series with a 2.5-liter inline six cylinder engine, but the current 525 uses a 3.0-liter inline six. This is what made BMW car so cool. They were noting more than precision instruments, and so they were named that way.
If the names can go what’s next a BMW minivan? BMW don’t abandon what makes you cool.
Click image for larger version

Name:	moredetailsonthe1_1280x0w.jpg
Views:	4160
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	104694
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 5 series GT (progressive activity sedan) revealed-another unconventional BMW-moredetailsonthew.jpg  

Old 25th February 2009, 11:55   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The front seems to represent Chris Bangles expression at the time of leaving BMW, wot

Quote:
BMW plans use aluminum on for the roof, fenders and other large body panels.
Aluminium is very expensive to repair and not all body shops have the equipment to deal with it. In addition, it's killer expensive to procure. Bad idea for a global mass produced sedan.

Quote:
the top of the line M5 will drop the V10 in favor of a lighter twin-turbo V8.
Insane twin-turbos! Still, between a turbo-engine & N/A of similar power output, I'd prefer the N/A any which day.

Quote:
It’s rumored that engine choices may include a 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight six for the 540i; a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 for the 550i; and even a twin-turbo diesel model for the U.S.
Can't they stick to having the numerical badge actually represent engine size? Its pretty pointless otherwise.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:14   #33
BHPian

this looks completely yuck compared to the current gen 5 series.it lacks originality.there are hints of different cars especially in the front.evo10,jag,etc.and from the side it looks like an suv.bmw where are you going?mercs improving and beemers going down!
nightmare.
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:04   #34
BHPian

@Mustang: Bro, relax. This is not the replacement for the 5. BMW intends to slice off a new segment that's it. Yes, the molten lava tail lamps...the will be a part of the new 5 (most likely) but rest remains with this PAS.

Personally, I like the front. Looks great in silver colour. Looks mean.
Old 28th June 2009, 05:51   #35
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA

BMW 5 series GT (progressive activity sedan) revealed-another unconventional BMW-bmw_5series_gt_spy.jpg
Found in Manhattan for a photo shoot!!
Old 28th June 2009, 10:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Insane twin-turbos! Still, between a turbo-engine & N/A of similar power output, I'd prefer the N/A any which day.
I read somwhere that the v10 twin turbo will make about 600bhp
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:43   #37
BHPian

I dont think Ill buy this one, even if I had the $$$. The current gen 5 is aesthetically much better and looks balanced.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:09   #38
BHPian

Quite unconventional design .
BMW X6 inspiration anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks