Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2004, 05:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

February, 2004

OK SEEMS TO BE WORKING HERE IT IS!

Hey guys,

Glad to see the site is thriving!

Ive been having a little fun of my own in the states this past week. My uncle who lives in California and is car crazy like myself just bought a new toy, and invited me over to come check it out!

A new silver 2003 Honda S2000 sits besides an immaculately kept E39 BMW 540i 6M. Two opposite ends of the performance car spectrum, spanning every boy's dreams in between.

The 540i, with the 6-speed manual transmission comes with the sport package which includes //M power 18" forged alloys, //M tuned suspension, and three spoke steering wheel amongst a host of other tweaks.

A sedan designed to satisfy every need for performance without sacrificing an inch of luxury. The M5 ofcourse being on the other side of that fine line, sacrificing small luxuries for that extra inch in performance!

The Honda on the other hand is built for thrills. They pretend the word `luxury' does not exist in the Japanese language, but to make up for that missing word they seem to have a hundred synonyms for the word INSANE, one of which is S2000!

9000 RPM, imagine that. The cams switch at 6000rpm, giving the engine a new sound, and a definite note of urgency. The powerband hits you like you just double-downshifted, and the digital tach lights up like its diwali. The 2L VTEC screams and heads turn, but not for long, because everything and everyone around you just got left far far behind.

The 540 as i said earlier is spectacular, but from a whole different world. Hit the throttle in any gear and the massive torque of the motor catapults you as you sit peacefully in the leather seats listening to music on the 8.1 speaker audio system. The torque makes acceleration in 6th gear as easy as flexing the gastrocnemius in your right foot. No use of the triceps or tensor fascia latae is required.

The S2000 in comparison is a full body workout. Although the power seems to kick you in the ### past 6000rpm, at lower revs it seems to be a landmine victim. However, waving the short throw shifter around like it was a magic wand can indeed produce some magical performance. The gearing is designed so that when you upshift at redline ur engine revs drop but still keep you within the high-rev cam range. Some skillful wrist movements on the short throw shifter can indeed keep the power right where it belongs, with its foot up your ###.
The S2000 gearbox.....aah..the s2000 gearbox...i believe several books have been written in praise of this cogged wonder. I think it has its own fan club as well. Your arm sits horizontal on the armrest behind the lever. The throws are so short that your arm doesnt move, only your wrist does. The lever stands all of four inches tall grasped in the palm of your hand. Each slot seems to await your descision, and at the slightest hint of approach it ingurgitates the lever without hesitation. I have heard rumours about Honda outsorcing the s2000 gearbox, and upon doing a little investigation i found it is true. At the bottom of the gearbox is a label that says "made in heaven". (hahaha...how corny of me)

The mighty 4.4L 540i is silk smooth as well. The V8 churns smoothly all the way till its easily achived ~5,750rpm redline. Not a hint of stress or overwork. Just a growl from the domesticated V8 beast that has been captured under the hood, hinting how it is at heart the same wild animal that runs free in the M5. The sound however doesnt peirce the cabin, but instead surrounds it like a sign of what lurks beneath the hood. Deliscious.
This car is aldready quite similar to the M5, and the BMW dealer told us that they probably didn't make the redline higher, although the engine is easily capable, because then it would "steal the M5's thunder".

The handling of both the cars is spectacular. The 540 having the ultimate roadholding and comfort. No its not a compromise between road holding and comfort. It is the best road holding and the best comfort, BMW must know something nobody else does.
Hammering down a curved freeway onramp at 140km/h, and not a hint of digression. As my uncle said, not only is the handling of the BMW amazing, but the poise and elegance it maintains while doing it is what is truly amazing.

The S2000, though in comparison a wildchild, has spectacular handling as well. High ratio electronic power steering and a small sporty steering wheel tease you at every corner. With one hand outstretched it holds the gift of excitation, and in the other a gun behind its back. Imagine cornering on the limit, tires squealing with excitement, and then suddenly 6000rpm comes up on the tach. BAM. Cams switch and power feels like it increases ten-fold. In short, you surpass the cornering limit ten-fold. Dangerous. This is what the S2000 is about. Thrills. And boy did we get a lot of them.

Needless to say both cars can stop on a dime. Im suprised neither of them have wipers on the inside of the windshield.....for your lunch.

Well this is just the tip of the iceberg of my ~600kms of driving these cars over a period of 4 days. As you know words cannot really define an automobile, but i have given it my best shot (..and this is me keeping it SHORT!).

And to help the words out here are a few videos; Sorry the sound is not too good as these were taken on my digicam. Ive tried to make them as small as possible, some have 2 resolutions to choose from dependsing on your connection. You WILL need Divx.

I also spent some quality time with an Audi RS6, Carrera GT2, Carrera GT3, M5 and a BMW Z8 alpina with 20" rims! Amazing.

And... another highlight of my trip; I got to drive an E46 M3 convertible for 20mins!!! pics, text n video on that sometime later.

I'd be more than happy to discuss these cars further if anyone wishes to!

cheers,

Rehaan.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2005 at 16:47.
Old 28th February 2004, 05:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

ok here the vids are -

they are hosted in 2 places (same vids). The free servers will probably exceed the bandwith limit so u might have to keep trying after 1hr passes..... or some1 dload them and spread em over msn (i cant coz i have firewall issues)

HERE ARE THE SCREENSHOTS
links are at the bottom
dont expect too much guys...these were taken on my digicam!

Me revving the s2000 in the garage (only till ~5000rpm - have to be gentle with my uncles cars ;-])

Me revving the BMW (Only till ~4000rpm)

Startup sequence of the S2000 from inside

My uncle Vtec-ing past some traffic on Highway 1

Me VTECing the S2000 to redline in 1st and 2nd from a slow rolling start on highway 1

LINKS FOR VIDEOS - (Some files have lower res versions uploaded for the dialup users)
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/rb/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/bbatliboi/index.html

Enjoy!a

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2005 at 16:54.
Old 28th February 2004, 06:43   #3
BHPian

Very nice and impressive review..I bet you must have enjoyed to the core..I was wondering what you thought of the SMG gearbox of the M3??

M3 in the yellow i slike WOW!!..too bad they dont offer red/rust interiors for this exterior color, rust/red looks amazing in a sporty car..
Old 28th February 2004, 06:44   #4
BHPian

Cant wait for the videos..
Old 28th February 2004, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan you lucky dog you!!!

I must say both ur uncles cars are very lovingly kept. Had me drooling at the pictures . Hey any idea how much a pre owned S2000 would cost

And hey post the videos soon cant wait to see em

Cheers
Old 28th February 2004, 11:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dippy,

Yes they are erally well kept!...im not sure about a preowned S2000, my uncles got one of the last 2003 models before the 2.2L 8000rpm redline s2000s came out.

The vids ARE posted in the 2nd post.......hopefully they work ;-P (let me know)
cya
Old 28th February 2004, 14:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some people have all the luck in the world!!!!!

Can't wait to see the videos.......

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 28th February 2004, 14:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yeah!! really ;-] i felt like such a lucky sob that week!! hahaha

why is everyone saying that abt the videos...... THE VIDEOS ARE UP..follow the link in the second post with pics (link is at the bottom)

cheers!
Old 28th February 2004, 19:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

I second your comments about the 5's handling. I used a 530d in Holland, it was amazing, even better what the diesel engine, never knew that it could be fun!!!!
Old 29th February 2004, 00:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Holly hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M5, Carrera, M3, 540i, S2000??? What the **** did u go to do in Calif man? You lucky *******, man i have been dying to drive an M5 since i was 14, and you did it!!!! **** i am running out of..... u know what man!

But anyways, gr8 to know u had such a wonderful experience. SO u lucky boy drove 1000+ bhp of motors in a weekend.... lucky!!! I just can't wait to get on to my bro-in-law's SMG M3 in calif...... aaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!!!!
Old 1st March 2004, 00:04   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Hey Rehaan, which lucky charmers belly have you been rubbing of late? Man.....I have been to california numerous times but never had an experience that can hold a candle to yours!! I think all of us need generous uncles with S2000's and Beemers in their garage....I am sure he thought you came down MORE for the cars than uncle + his family I must compliment your uncles taste in cars, more so because he has two "stick shift" cars in the land of automatics..and what better than the best from Bavaria and Tokyo! I remember what a hard time I had locating a manual geared Accord in the US.

Boy I remember being behind the wheel of an S2000 in the states - whatta driving position! I felt like I am in a race car. Starting with that glorious RED engine start button to the facia showing a strong preference for the RPM!! Even that deliciously short 6 speed gear knob which just falls into your hand - Marvellous. How often did you "vtec" in that baby?

And what a looker the E39 series is? It just looks so amazing in person, there is not a single curve or cut that is out of place...or one that would ever require a change. I dont know how BMW have managed to design a car that is still the king in balancing handling with ride comfort.

Tell us more about the M5, M3, Alpina and GTs.

I suggest you better go and preserve that right foot of yours....for me, its back to reading your post a fourth time!

Well written

GTO
Old 29th July 2004, 15:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Holly crap ....where was this post all this time!!

Simply awesome Rehaan! I have always wanted to drive the S2000...its probably the closest you can get to riding a bike what with that 9,000 redline!

u r one lucky SOB!!!

Rt
Old 29th July 2004, 20:52   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

No words .... what should I say .... You are one lucky .....
Nicely written dude and more info on GT2 n 3 .... plz
Old 29th July 2004, 20:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan,gr8 pics and a good review too.Driving a S2K and a Beamer is one helluva experience.Wot wit toucking the redline on th S2K......
Cant upload the angelfire link though.Help em up for me.

Keep Rockin
Old 30th July 2004, 04:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech,

Well this was quite an old post....back in the days when TBHP was only 40members
Damn...that 9kRPM redline, if you happen to hit the rev limiter it bounces SO fast... like adamn machine gun! (apparently the S2k engine is really sensitive to over-revving....i guess 9kRPM was pushing it far enough! lol

F50, well info on the GT2 and GT3.... the GT2 was in the showroom and was black, absolutely gorgeous, the styling on the aero kit is just beautiful! It looks just as good as you would imagine, every little curve and fin on that car catches your eye and makes you want to scream!
The GT3 is boring by comparison....lol

X-machine, the vid links are working fine for me, give them another shot Heres the link again.

cheers
R

ps - my only regret is that when i drove the M3 i didnt put in on sport mode!! hehehe

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2005 at 17:10.

Most Viewed