Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But still at $194,000 it is unaffordable even in US.
Even a small dent repair must be done by FAA-certified aircraft technicians. Those who are planning to shell out $194,000 should be ready to arrange another $194,000 to meet ownership costs for four-five years
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Even a small dent repair must be done by FAA-certified aircraft technicians.
Right, but being a insurance driven country, it shouldn't be a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Those who are planning to shell out $194,000 should be ready to arrange another $194,000 to meet ownership costs for four-five years
I couldn't understand this point completely though. Are you saying a small dent will cause to replace the entire vehicle as such?
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Right, but being a insurance driven country, it shouldn't be a big issue.

I couldn't understand this point completely though. Are you saying a small dent will cause to replace the entire vehicle as such?
FAA-certified technicians and facilities will not come cheap, right? Chances are, it can get damaged far more easier than an aircraft because it is not ground-operated in an exclusive (airports and hangers) area. Due to the same reason, the owners can expect fantastic insurance premiums.

I am not saying a small dent could force you to replace the vehicle, sorry for the confusion there. An improperly repaired small dent could make vehicle lose its airworthiness certificate, thats all.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:11   #19
BHPian

The car still requires a 2500 feet runway to take off. How I wish I could get this up in the air right in the middle of a busy road if I see a traffic jam ahead!
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Actually, i had seen a contraption which was much more car like & could do exactly that veyron_head.

It was designed with engines that could get it to hover into the air from a standstill point & then propel it ahead (fly). This also was a working prototype but the inventor said that car manufacturers were already playing bad tricks to shut him down before he even started thinking of production.

All this & i saw this a couple of years back. Im sure id seen it on Discovery channel & unfortunately do not remember the car,company or inventors name, nor the show it was telecast on.

Guess the big car companies mustve managed to shut him down for good. What a waste, a loss to mankind & an even bigger loss to the poor inventor who after working hard got nothing but misery in return.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Terrafugia - the flying car

"Flying-car maker Terrafugia Inc. said it will display its Transition vehicle at the New York International Auto Show, which runs April 6 through 15 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
The Transition, which the company calls a roadable aircraft, has folding wings, a propeller and other equipment that allow it to be driven on roads like a car or flown as a two-seat aircraft. It has been shown at a number of aviation trade events but the New York appearance will mark its auto-show debut."

Flying-Car To Debut At New York Auto Show - Driver's Seat - WSJ
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:45   #22
BHPian

Is it time for "The Flying Car?"

Hey team,

It would really be interesing since

1) Flying would be exciting, ahh the bird's eye view
2) Traffic on the roads no longer matters
3) If someone in the front is frustratingly slow, i can fly over or under them

Extract from article:
Flying car gets closer to reality with test flight

Flying cars aren't just science fiction anymore. Woburn, Mass.-based Terrafugia Inc. said Monday that its prototype flying car has completed its first flight, bringing the company closer to its goal of selling the flying car within the next year. The vehicle — dubbed the Transition — has two seats, four wheels and wings that fold up so it can be driven like a car. Last month, it flew at 1,400 feet for eight minutes. Commercial jets fly at 35,000 feet.

Around 100 people have already put down a $10,000 deposit to get a Transition when they go on sale, and those numbers will likely rise after Terrafugia introduces the Transition to the public later this week at the New York Auto Show. But don't expect it to show up in too many driveways. It's expected to cost $279,000."
Attached Thumbnails
Terrafugia - the flying car-flying-car.jpg  

Last edited by urajkumar : 3rd April 2012 at 14:51.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

There is another one called Icon A5 which has car like interiors, but it wont travel through the roads like a car. It can be carried on its trailer, which is supplied as an accessory

ICON Aircraft: Sport Flying Revolution

One thing to remember is, the driver needs to be certified atleast for the light sports pilot license, which restricts the pilot to carry only one extra passenger and only day flying.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrafugia -displayed @ the NY Auto show.

The curb weight of the composite and aluminum Transition is just 970 pounds, with a maximum takeoff weight of 1,430 pounds (useful load is 460 pounds). It is powered by a 1.4-liter Rotax 912ULS, a water-cooled flat-four developing 100 horsepower.

In aircraft mode, the thick automated electromechanical folding wings open and a gearbox transfers power to a four-bladed pusher propeller just behind the cockpit. Top speed in the non-pressurized Transition is about 115 mph, with a flying range of just over 400 miles. In terrestrial mode, with the wings folded and a license plate hanging in the slipstream, power is sent to the rear wheels and the top speed falls to just 65 mph. Fuel economy is about 35 mpg, with an on-road range in excess of 600 miles.

According to Woburn, Massachusetts-based Terrafugia, the company has more than 100 reservations for this novel contraptioion. The current anticipated base purchase price is a lofty $279,000.

Terrafugia Transition 'Flying Car' offers serious hang time, but leaves us clouded [w/video]

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th April 2012 at 07:30.
Old 14th April 2012, 23:17   #25
BHPian

So finally the mango people's dream is here. Though way out of reach for em. Just can't wait for Jezza's review.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Check this out. The PAL-V.

Terrafugia - the flying car-palv4.jpg
source

Terrafugia - the flying car-palvflyingcar.jpg
source

I really like the folding props...
Name:  feeldesainPALVFlyingCar1.png
Views: 500
Size:  299.6 KB
source

Watch the video. It's quite impressive:

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 14:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some new pics and details of the Terrafugia have been released. I am posting a couple of links with pics and a video (computer graphics) as well. The figures look impressive but one keeps wondering "can this be for real?".

http://ibnlive.in.com/photogallery/13400-2.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11305075...nnounced-video
Attached Thumbnails
Terrafugia - the flying car-4flyingcar090513.jpg  

Last edited by wilful : 9th May 2013 at 14:12.
Old 9th May 2013, 14:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

This topic has been in and around for quite sometime.
This is the hot topic in Indian News Channels today again.

Official Website: http://www.terrafugia.com/tfx-vision

Some features that this car would have are:
- Flying Range - 805 km
- Top Speed - 321kmph
- Would require 100-foot diameter zone for take-offs and landings

Production model would be ready in 2015 (2years from now). But who would be the actual user of these products ? Malya or Sonia ?
The common man still would continue to get stuck in jams, while ministers would be flying high on these gadgets, with taxpayers money.
Most importantly, if at all it comes to the economically stronger sections of the society, who would be legally permitted to fly one ? The flyer (as per news) would still require a aircraft license.

Now seeing these features, I think it would be a very costly affair to use one of these.

For me, its' just a hype over a simple Helicopter or small private jet. There is nothing magnificent about this vehicle (rather aircraft).

Some more info here:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...on-flying-car/
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/terrafugi...390537-11.html

Overall Verdict from My Brain - Waste of Money, Brain.
Old 9th May 2013, 15:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Check this out. The PAL-V.

Attachment 1073986
source

Attachment 1073987
source

cya
R
What you've posted looks like an Autogyro (also called gyrocopter)- a simple and beautiful flying machine. But I doubt if one can run autogyros on the road without lifting off!

Oops: of course, you fold the top blades, there will be zero lift generated!

On second thoughts, I am amazed that we don't have autogyros in India (at least at places where parasailing / gliding etc prevails)

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th May 2013 at 15:37.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 10:22   #30
BHPian

Research regarding Personal Aviation seems to be heading in the right direction but still, there is a long way to go. In India i feel there won't be many people going for this since you will need a flying license and that by itself is a big hassle here. Second thing is that even if the trend does come in, it will be a tough time monitoring all these flying cars since IIRC, any flying vehicle must be in communication/contact with the ATC when they reach a particular altitude. Without this, i feel we will have the inevitable collision with some object etc. So we have a POC but i really do need to see the practicality since afaik, taking off and landing will be a tough job unless you have those VTOL like designs.

Most Viewed