Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 16:01   #31
BHPian

It was all over the Indian and British dailies a couple if years ago that an Indian gentleman, Subhash Shihora from ahmedabad is at the head of the waiting list for this machine.

http://www.businessworld.in/en/story...18936.0/page/0
Old 20th June 2013, 20:22   #32
BHPian

Flying car for sale for $1 million; Flying bike prototyped : ToI

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/20673906.cms

Quote:
World's first flying car, developed in 1949 by an American designer, is up for sale for nearly $1 million. Developed by inventor Moulton Taylor, the unique Aerocar could not only fly, it was designed to drive on roads, too. The flight system could be removed and towed by the car, then easily reassembled.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...nical-director

Quote:
Scientists have developed the prototype of a 95kg remote-controlled bike that can hover a few metres above ground for a full five minutes. Carrying a dummy rider, the electric prototype successfully took off, flew around and landed inside an exhibition hall in Prague.

Are these practicable ideas - particularly how fuel efficient would they be?
Old 20th June 2013, 21:37   #33
BHPian

Re: Flying car for sale for $1 million; Flying bike prototyped : ToI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Are these practicable ideas - particularly how fuel efficient would they be?
Wow. You are an Indian for sure.

Was wondering what it looked like, so dug out a pic:
Terrafugia - the flying car-8419882579_13b485678b_z.jpg
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 21:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Wow. You are an Indian for sure.

Was wondering what it looked like, so dug out a pic:
Attachment 1100022
This had come on an Top Gear episode. Severely unpractical of course, but it is was never made for ordinary men
Old 20th June 2013, 21:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have both my drivers license and my pilot license and I think it doesn't look like a car or a plane. From what I've read it doesn't drive particularly well, nor does it fly particularly well.

Still, an interesting concept, especially when you consider when it was thought up. I don't buy into the notion that anybody that can learn to drive a car can also learn to fly.

Maybe someday in the future we'll get to a stage where cars and planes are fully automated and the only skill is pushing a single button and nothing else. That will get you from A to B safely. Today both driving and flying is a far cry for that stage.

And if you ask me, much better for it too. Who would want to have a computer driving your car!

Jeroen
Old 21st June 2013, 11:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!!

Direct copy from the JETSONS!!!!

We dont really know how will this stream of evolution of cars will take off. But will be interesting to follow. I think the AmphiCar was much more practical than this thing.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
WOW!!!!

Direct copy from the JETSONS!!!!

We dont really know how will this stream of evolution of cars will take off. But will be interesting to follow. I think the AmphiCar was much more practical than this thing.
It probably is. And look what happened to the Amphicar? Apart from the army and this lot http://www.ridetheducks.com/ there are no amphicar left.

If you get the chance hop onto the duck. It is very touristy but great fun.
We did it in Branson, USA: see http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...road_trip.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Terrafugia - the flying car

Just got a reminder mail about visiting this years Airventure exhibition in Oshkosh. This year they are feating the flying car!

Have a look: http://www.airventure.org/multimedia/must_see.html

If you're into aviation and have a change to visit the US, the Airventure is a huge thing. I went for three consequetive years whilst we lived in Kansas City. If had not moved to Delhi last year, this year would have been the year I would have flown into Oshkosh myself. I had already started planning for it, with some friends from my KC Flying Club, but it will have to remain on my bucket list. During this Airventure, Oshkosh becomes the busiest airport in the world!

Still, even if you fly commercially it is a magnificent event:

http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...kosk_2010.html

Enjoy,

Jeroen
Old 1st August 2013, 07:47   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrafugia makes its first public flight!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/31/t...deo/#continued
Old 27th July 2015, 07:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

How more cool can transportation be?

Terrafugia’s flying car to launch in 2021.

Quote:
Headlining the update is a stylish new makeover, blessing the streamlined TF-X with all-new looks.

The 2013 concept’s catfish face has been replaced with a pointy new snout with long headlights above and a broad grille design along the lower edge.

There’s a more futuristic and premium look through the profile and, while the concept’s large take-off and landing rotor arms are again featured, there’s a cleaner look to the new design.
Quote:
Power in the updated TF-X is provided by a petrol-electric plug-in hybrid system that claims 225kW of power, although much of the flying car’s forward flying thrust is provided by a 75kW engine provided by aviation company Rotax.

Terrafugia claims a 320km/h maximum speed, but, at 160km/h, the four-seat TF-X is expected to offer a flying range beyond 650 kilometres.

Overall range, including its duties as a road-going car, is claimed to be around 805 kilometres.
Quote:
And, as a plug-in hybrid, the TF-X can use both a regular power supply and the on-board petrol engine to recharge its battery pack.

Terrafugia claims the TF-X’s flying operations will be guided entirely by computer – much as modern aircraft offer autopilot and future roadgoing cars will boast fully autonomous drive systems.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/368860/t...aunch-in-2021/

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th July 2015 at 07:59.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 09:01   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

As the article states, it will still require a normal pilots license to operate. In this case you need to be twin engine rated too.

Although always interesting to see and read about I am very sceptical about the real day to day implementation. Driving a car is one thing, flying a plane is a whole different matter alltogether.

Trying to cram two completely different functions (drive/fly) into one design usually results in significant comprimises on both functions. (There havent been many very succesfull amphibious vehicles either, apart for the army)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 09:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Geely buys Terrafugia , gets into making the “flying car a reality”.

Quote:
Geely has committed to investing heavily in the Massachusetts-based firm, which wants to bring its first flying car to market in 2019, and the world’s first VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) flying car by 2025.

Terrafugia will remain headquartered in the US under its new Chinese owners, while benefitting from the Zhejiang Geely group’s investment, not to mention its experience within the automotive industry.
link

Most Viewed