Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:07   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Extremely interesting lunch read : Blog by Tesla CEO setting the record straight (atleast trying to).
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looks unique on the road but the initial photos reminded me of the Aston Martin, more so of the DB9. Similar grill.
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

2012 Tesla Model S new photos released

Model S photographed doing some laps around the track with Tesla's chief designer at the wheel

Tesla Motors has released some more photos of its upcoming Model S all-electric sedan. The set of pics published here show the car doing a few laps around a track with Tesla's chief designer, Franz Von Holzhausen, behind the wheel.

The Silicon Valley start-up claims that more than 1,000 orders have come in for the new sedan. Tesla Motors also manufactures the Tesla Roadster which is already on the market.

The Model S is a 3,825 lbs (1735 kg) sedan that seats 5 (with an additional 2 rear-facing seats under the hatch suitable for children) and is 196-inches long (4.98m). Tesla claims that the Model S will have a range of up to 300 miles (483 km) and do the 0 to 60 mph (100 km/h) sprint in 5.6 seconds. Top speed will be limited to 130 mph (210 km/h). Recharging can be done from 120v, 208v or 240v outlets, which takes a very vague "hours".

The car will debut sometime in 2011 and will sell for $49,900 (35,000 euros) when government rebates are added.

The question is what kind of range will the Tesla S achieve in real-world driving. The electric vehicle technology of today suffers from this yet unsolvable and fundamental shortcoming: the very thing that makes the motor car unique as a mode of transportation - it's ability to go anywhere at anytime - is not something that an electric vehicle can deliver today, tethered as it is to the need of a power outlet and the time it takes to recharge the batteries.

Source: WorldCarFans.com
Attached Thumbnails
Officially Official: Tesla Model S-1.jpg  

Officially Official: Tesla Model S-2.jpg  

Officially Official: Tesla Model S-3.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2009, 11:57   #19
BHPian

Wow! this car might just become the dream car for many.incuding me :P considering the range of the old tesla, i guess it shud be good. is it still running on laptop batteries?
Old 22nd August 2009, 19:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sigh! Wish it came with a V8! This is a really gorgeous automobile.The next best thing to a Rapide.
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:23   #21
BANNED

Brilliant. Finally a really usable electric car. We hope this really catches on.

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd August 2009 at 00:28.
Old 19th January 2011, 16:08   #22

Re: Officially Official: Tesla Model S

Video: 2012 Tesla Model S testing

Here is a video of the new 2012 Tesla. This one looks even more Aston Martinish. I just can't stand the sound, or the absence of it.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephail View Post
Video: 2012 Tesla Model S testing

Here is a video of the new 2012 Tesla. This one looks even more Aston Martinish. I just can't stand the sound, or the absence of it.
actually, I think that the abscence of sound is very interesting... in a sense, it likens the car to a new way forward (pardon the pun), tearing away from the much-associated sounds of IC-engines to a simple whirring of an electric motor.
I hope like hell these things come here and the government smacks some delicious tax exemption on it. I'd love to get one for the city.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:35   #24
BHPian

I was also wondering, however, why on earth it has a grille??! considering that the traditional space taken up by the engine - and hence the radiator - is simply storage and batteries, what need is there for a grille?

the Tesla, as the company claims, is designed electric from the ground up.. so what is it doing with a large grille up front? I'm sure it has a use of some kind, but I cant think of what it could be... anyone have any ideas?
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:00   #25
BHPian

Finally tesla S is expected. The have order of about 10,000 cars.
Quote:
Tesla to Start Shipping Model S Electric Sedans Next Month - Driver's Seat - WSJ
Tesla Motors Inc., the Silicon Valley electric car startup, said on Tuesday it would begin delivering its Model S sports car on June 22 2012.

The all-aluminum body Model S is expected to be priced starting at $57,400, giving the Palo Alto, Calif., company a vehicle that could sell in higher volumes than its existing Roadster, which costs about $109,000.

Tesla to start deliveries of Model S electric cars next month | McClatchy Tribune News Service | The Bellingham Herald
The Palo Alto, Calif.,-based company says it has more than 10,000 orders for the battery-powered car but that not all will be delivered this year.

Read more here: Tesla to start deliveries of Model S electric cars next month | McClatchy Tribune News Service | The Bellingham Herald
Old 15th February 2013, 10:26   #26
BHPian

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere.
The on going fight between NY Times and Tesla:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/au...hway.html?_r=0

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...rging-network/

Tesla responds:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive

Border responds:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...hat-it-doesnt/
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 12:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post

This whole issue seems to have left the NY times red faced. The editor has come on record saying there were some anomalies in the what the test driver has written and what actually happened.

While all companies seem to exaggerate the car mileage in their claims, I feel tesla in particular has been continuously targeted with the backing of all major automakers including oil majors because of the obvious threat that this expected paradigm shift accompanies. Take for example the fact that the dealerships across America have tried to put a stop to tesla's apple style direct retail stores.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

Take for example the fact that the dealerships across America have tried to put a stop to tesla's apple style direct retail stores.
While I agree that Tesla has been targeted by other auto companies, the issue that you mentioned has nothing to do with it. Majority of states in USA has the legislation (off course, lobbied by Dealers) that prevents auto manufacturers to sell the vehicles directly to consumers and requires them to have a layer of franchise dealership. And By the way, it is NOT ACROSS the USA. Some states do allow direct sales, some don't. Even the states that don't allow, Tesla is working with the state policy makers to change the law. Texas is one example.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 10th May 2013 at 20:35.
Old 10th May 2013, 22:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Take for example the fact that the dealerships across America have tried to put a stop to tesla's apple style direct retail stores.
I think that Tesla will navigate past all these growing up problems. What they have is a really competitive product. Even comparing it to the gas engined competition in its price segment, the car is definitely there. Minor luxury touches aside, with respect to performance, livability and usability of the car, the Tesla can easily hold its own against A6/A7, 5 Series Sedan/GT and E Class Sedan/Wagon. I think the market has recognized the potential of the car (the stock price has nearly doubled since the turn of the year and NYT carried that story on the car). If their products continue to be revolutionary and yet practical, they will either become the next big wave in the industry or they might get bought out by some other large auto corporation that is lagging in electric technology.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks