Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 04:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
Been there for 22 years and I don't recall rains at this time of the year! Nice way to mess up a perfectly good event.

Are all the modded cars permanently registered in Bahrain? Because the last time I heard, the "muroor" was clamping down on heavily modded cars there...

Who/what is the "muroor" and what's the problem with modded cars?
Old 5th April 2009, 09:12   #17
BHPian

@leodelg: The cops are not doing anything nowadays, do you remember we couldn’t tint in the 90’s, but that’s permitted now as long as you stay with a certain visibility level. But there are cars here with extremely dark windows and the cops don’t do anything about it. They announced that cell phone users will be fined big time but every other person on the road is on the phone. Speeding is supposed to be heavy fines plus jail sentence but that also doesn’t seem to be enforced.

At times you end up as the lucky one, as there will be zillion other cars with so many violations but the cop will pull you over and fine you. I haven’t seen them fine any modded cars though, what I have seen is that very rarely, guys with extremely dark tints are pulled over and fined, also they have to remove the tint right there. This only happens if you are driving around a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Ford et all, as you might be knowing they usually don’t tend to mess with the biggies.

@f450: "Muroor" is the Arabic word or at least that’s what they say for cops here.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
It is held at the BIC (Bahrain International Circuit, F1 Track), it was supposed to be an outdoor show but due to the rain they moved it to the pits and the covered areas they have there, todays the last day for this event.
Oh wow. I was in bahrain from the 26th to the 1st and missed it. I did see signs for the F1 but none for the auto show.

And about the rains one night it poured for about 20 minutes and my sister in law, her kids and her husband who have lived there for about 15 years were freaking out. Loving it. My family looked at them like so what - we see rains like this for days together. Wonder what would happen if Baharin experienced a '26/7'.

Last edited by navin : 5th April 2009 at 10:11.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:25   #19
BHPian

It is strange to have rain here at this time of the year!! I can say for sure its just not them that got freaked!!

I remember in 94-95 time it rained non-stop for like a day or two and the whole place was flooded. They do not have the required system to handle anything close to a 24/7 rain!!
Old 5th April 2009, 12:07   #20
BHPian

Yea. I remember the late 90s. According to my brothers, along with dark tints, NOS kits are a strict no-no. The cops randomly stop modded cars and check for NOS kits. If they find it, it's normally impounded. And yes, the cops do know a lot about these kits (unlike their counter parts back in India). I remember riding in a friend's Honda Prelude which had absolutely no mods, except for a NOS kit. He never had any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
It is strange to have rain here at this time of the year!! I can say for sure its just not them that got freaked!!

I remember in 94-95 time it rained non-stop for like a day or two and the whole place was flooded. They do not have the required system to handle anything close to a 24/7 rain!!
Oh! I loved the 94-95 rains!! We were coming out of Indian School on our buses and all the staff cars that are usually parked on the grounds between Indian School and Sacred Heart were submerged. We were kids then and the only thing we could do was !! The looks on their faces... priceless!!

Being a tiny island in the desert, I don't think they need a system to deal with heavy rains like the one that hit Mumbai. The current drainage system seems to work well every year, with a few exceptions, where they have send the pumping trucks. If they get Mumbai-like rains, the flood waters would flow out into the sea before causing any serious damage (along the lines of what happened in Mumbai)!

@f450: Muroor is slang for traffic cops. I keep wanting to write muroor here, but I don't want to get rapped by the moderators!

Last edited by leodelg : 5th April 2009 at 12:17. Reason: Additional info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks