Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 16:12   #1
m4w

Jaguar Announces Plans of Extended Range XJ Hybrid. Edit XJ Pics revealed

Yes indeed. Tata-owned Jag is looking to go electric. More options for the swish set to show their "environment friendliness".

Autocar - Jaguar to build hybrid XJ

Quote:
Jaguar is poised to launch the world’s first electric-drive luxury saloon, a version of the next-gen XJ, after the European Union last week agreed a loan for new green technology.
The breakthrough Jag XJ four-door will use similar tech to the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevy Volt. Those cars run on electric power from batteries that are charged mainly by hooking up to the grid, but are also capable of being recharged on the move by a small-capacity engine.
Jaguar’s goals for the ‘Limo Green’ are an electric range of 30 miles, fuel economy of 57mpg, CO2 emissions of less than 120g/km and a top speed of 112mph. The firm has committed to start production in 2011, a year after the next-generation XJ is launched.
Jaguar’s alloy body technology should ensure a low kerb weight and the electric XJ’s powertrain is being developed in conjunction with British engineering brains at Lotus Engineering, MIRA and Caparo.
The £307 million loan cleared last week by the European Investment Bank will boost JLR’s green investments to £800m as it bids to cut overall emissions by 25 per cent by 2012.
Cash will also be sunk into developing full hybrids, micro-hybrids, small-capacity diesel engines and ‘soft-turbocharged’ petrol engines.
A new mini-Range Rover hybrid based on the LRX concept and powered by a 2.0-litre diesel is also planned.
Land Rover also has a ‘mild hybrid’ Range Rover Sport in development, with a super-capacitor for short-term electricity storage and a starter-generator that reclaims energy during engine braking.
JLR has also pledged to look at more extensive use of lightweight materials such as aluminium across the range.
Land Rover is set to make the next Range Rover and Sport with alloy bodyshells, and the new XE two-seat sports car is pencilled in as a variant of the next-generation alloy XK.
It is also anticipated that Jag will reconsider making the XF replacement in alloy, once the plan with the current model.
Another possibility is to ‘dress’ steel cars like the next-gen XF in alloy body panels. Doing so could shave around 100kg off the kerb weight.
Old 16th April 2009, 06:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Here are the pics of the new XJ . (Teana' ish me thinks?)

Jaguar Announces Plans of Extended Range XJ Hybrid. Edit XJ Pics  revealed-car_photo_305992_25.jpg

Jaguar Announces Plans of Extended Range XJ Hybrid. Edit XJ Pics  revealed-car_photo_305991_25.jpg

more here

Last edited by ajmat : 16th April 2009 at 06:58.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rear styling is perfect to the T. Another masterpiese. Front though? Nothing wrong with it as such, except the headlamps independently remind one of the S-Class / Audi TT / Fords. Still, pretty sweet overall.

This is quite satisfying for someone like me who keeps cribbing that designers these days overdo the front and then simply forget / don't bother to stylize the rear to make it a well-styled product overall. Simplest example is the new Skoda Superb.

PS: Come to think of it, this is how the Audi A6 should look at the rear.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Like the XF, you got to see it in the metal before making a conclusion
Old 16th April 2009, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Like the XF, you got to see it in the metal before making a conclusion
Overall, I quite like it already. I suppose it will be significantly bigger than an XF? Say about five metres plus in length? Enough presence I think. Let's wait and watch.

OT, but right now the top car on my "you got to see it in the metal before making a conclusion" list is the W212 E.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

I Like I Like!
Aston martin and Jaguar makes the most beautiful cars on the planet.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:50   #7
BHPian

The only thing missing is the "leaping cat" (for want of a better term) on the bonnet. Somehow a jag without that looks incomplete. Just my personal opinion.
Old 16th April 2009, 20:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Leaping cat is stuck on the grill..but the jag pug marks are so evident on the hood.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Leaping cat is stuck on the grill..but the jag pug marks are so evident on the hood.
I think it's too iconic for Jag to exclude the cat from the bonnet.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see the classic look is gone.

The headlamps are a straight knockoff from the IS coupe.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that is one beautiful looking car! I just love that back.
Old 17th April 2009, 00:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is nice,but to me the XF has something very different about it. The rear section looks like the Lexus GS series to me.
Old 17th April 2009, 02:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

The headlamps are a straight knockoff from the IS coupe.
Agree with you there. Although I think this image won't be quite so much like the final version (looks like a terrible PS job on an XF rather than an XJ platform), I would like elements of the oh-so-familiar classic shape to be present in the new XJ as well. I don't want it to be a tremendously dramatic new design. The current XJ is still a beaut in the flesh with a good pair of shoes covering its paws, and a coat to match

Please retain some classic lines Jag.

Last edited by aniguchisan : 17th April 2009 at 02:59.
Old 17th April 2009, 07:26   #14
BHPian

Horrendous, similar to the XF and the rear resembles a mixture of 7-series and Quattroporte...

Loved the old school Jag... maybe a Super V8 Hybrid would be ideal.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
I would like elements of the oh-so-familiar classic shape to be present in the new XJ as well...

...Please retain some classic lines Jag.
I believe Jaguar themselves had admitted that the classic look was a big mistake with the last one. And I quite agree with them. Hardly sold any compared to the competition. Not that I despised the old-gen Jags, it's just that their idea of a classic look holds novelty for about 6 months after launch. Doesn't stand the test of time.

Off topic, I think the Americans are doing a stellar job of retaining classic looks in their contemporary cars. Case in point, Dodge Challenger / Chevy Camaro. THAT'S how you retain classic looks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 17th April 2009 at 09:53.

Most Viewed