Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Hi,

I keep reading posts where the term 'Bangle' or 'Bangled' is used.

What exactly does it mean? Tried to search for the words in the forum, did not get a clue as to its meaning.

Thanks in advance for responding.

Milind
Old 9th September 2004, 19:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

The ex-designer of BMW's, name is Chris Bangle.
Old 9th September 2004, 19:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Milind,

Chris Bangle is the infamous designer who took BMW design to places its never been before...and will probably never go to again!

It all started with the new/current 7 series which, when it was introduced to the public, drew worldwide attention - but for all the wrong reasons. Traditional BMW followers were shocked at the radical changes, the eyebrow headlights, the ducktail boot, the influx of electronics and most significantly, the shift of focus from "the ultimate drivers machine" to just another gizmo laden luxury car.

Ever since then, the new BMW's sharing this unique style have been called Bangled Beemers, and have been a favorite topic of debate on every automotive forum anywhere in the world!

Earlier this year, BMW management politely "promoted" Bangle higher up the ladder, basically meaning he is not gonna be in charge of their designs anymore. This is as good as a public announcment saying that they goofed!

Although the Bangled beemers have their fair share of followers, I doubt these designs will ever become "classics". We can expect a gradual toning down of Bangle's idea in forthcoming BMW's, and I'm hoping, a return to focusing on the driver and simplifying the i-drive system.

Hope that brings you upto speed with the Bangle slang now!

Rt

Old 9th September 2004, 20:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Ok....since this is a thread for "dumb" questions ....i have one...

Why do they always refer to George Bush as "Dubiya ji" in the papers? (or atleast used to...?)

I couldnt get that at all.... and then i saw it as "George Dubiya Bush"....still didnt get it...
but then i realised maybe "dubiya" = W (with his accent) ? am i right? am i wrong? am i stupid?

R
Old 9th September 2004, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 09 2004,18:57)]I couldnt get that at all.... and then i saw it as "George Dubiya Bush"....still didnt get it...
but then i realised maybe "dubiya" = W (with his accent) ? am i right? am i wrong? am i stupid?

R
I think it is due to his accent. Not exactly sure though.

In Top Gear, yesterday, Stig was called was called George W Stig when he took the Corvette for putting up a lap time!!
Old 9th September 2004, 22:51   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Correct. When Texans call him, they pronounce the "W" as Dubya. Around the world, hes been nicknamed as Dubya or Dubiya

GTO
Old 10th September 2004, 12:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

aaaaah....thanks for asking that Q rehaan! I had been wondering that too! Thought maybe it was a local name given to him here or something. Guess I was pronouncing "dubiya" wrong !!

Rt
Old 10th September 2004, 13:08   #8
BHPian

ive been wondering about it as well!!!...all sorted out now.
Old 10th September 2004, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

A funny explaination . Maybe its Dubiya because woh dubne wala hai

Dippy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks