Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 15:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota

From supercars to a supermini! These are the amazing pictures that will have car fans shaking their heads in disbelief. But it really is true...

Aston Martin is building a model that’s even smaller than a Ford Fiesta!

Based on the Toyota iQ, the Cygnet is the result of a joint venture with the Japanese giant. Details are scarce at the moment, but the tiniest Aston Martin ever is expected to share the same three-cylinder petrol engine as the iQ, along with its innovative three- plus-one seating arrangement

more here
Old 30th June 2009, 15:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you talking about this :
Aston Martin Cygnet Concept Car Revealed - Worldcarfans
?

EDIT :
Article from above link :
Quote:
Aston Martin reckons it has made a smart move, so to speak, by conceptualising a small city car. Based on the Toyota iQ the Aston Martin Cygnet is a mix of luxury, compactness and environmental friendliness.

Dr Ulrich Bez, the Chief Executive of AM says: "Now is the right time for Aston Martin to take this first bold step to embark on this special project - made possible with the support of an organisation of Toyota's stature and capability and the intelligent design and perfect city car package of the iQ."

The Cygnet does not signal the end of desirable beasts like the DB9 and the DBS. It will merely add to the range and give AM access to new markets.

"The offering of a ‘Cygnet' with a DBS, DB9 or Vantage is a unique combination of opposites," said Bez, "and a novel transport solution allowing intelligent and sensitive mobility on an exclusive and innovative level."

The iQ is not a bad place to start with its EURO NCAP 5-star safety package and environmental consciousness. Aston Martin seems to be going into the same territory that Mercedes-Benz entered in the early 1990s with the smart where it initially partnered with Swiss watch maker Swatch. More details will be revealed once the project has been given final approval which Dr Bez expects to be in the not too distance future.
EDIT 2 :
Attached Thumbnails
New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-aston-toyota-iq-based-car.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th June 2009 at 15:36.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:44   #3
BHPian

Holy Cr... Aston Martin & affordable cars. Never though i would hear about this in my lifetime..
sanjayatarizona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2009, 17:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Any japanese after market retro kit firm can do this they are really good at doing retro themes on such cars don't need Aston Martin for this infact they could have just outsourced it. I suppose that would not justify the crazy price tag they will put on this car should she go into production
Old 30th June 2009, 17:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

It will cost around 20k £ but the problem is for buying this, you need to be an existing Aston Martin customer or you can buy any other Aston Martin

But it makes sense for people going to DB9 or likes to have this for their kids/wives maybe.
Old 30th June 2009, 18:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
It will cost around 20k £ but the problem is for buying this, you need to be an existing Aston Martin customer or you can buy any other Aston Martin

In that case, I'd rather go buy a FIAT 500 and get it propped up with some decent aftermarket cosmetic modifications.
Because, IMO both the cars look more or less the same.

And if looks don't do the job, I might just treat myself with an Abarth done 500!!
Old 30th June 2009, 18:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Merc may have done an A Class / Smart car, BMW the Mini...but a mini-Aston running on a three-cylinder engine! That's blasphemy, worse than a Porsche SUV or 4 door sedan

In recent times, Aston has lost out (big time) to other exotic brands. This move will only take it further.
Old 30th June 2009, 22:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Merc may have done an A Class / Smart car, BMW the Mini...but a mini-Aston running on a three-cylinder engine! That's blasphemy, worse than a Porsche SUV or 4 door sedan

In recent times, Aston has lost out (big time) to other exotic brands. This move will only take it further.
I agree totally as the only good point about this car is that it is in lowest tax bracket due to very low emissions.

But who cares for money when buying Aston Martin.
Old 30th June 2009, 22:56   #9
BHPian

To be honest, this car looks like cr@p. Utter rubbish.

The Cayenne was odd in the beginning but it was still imposing, the Panamera's rear end is ugly but the front stays loyal to Porsche. This looks nothing like the svelte, suave brand that Aston Martin is. It looks gauche, "pimped up" and plain ugly. I don't mind Aston going into new territory - though its completely against the brand's core identity - but the means of going into are just pathetic.

A British landmark brand borrowing from a Japanese econo-car. Wow. How wrong can you go in life?

The 500 is iconic due to a lot of reasons, please do not compare that marketing genius of a product to this!

Cheers!
Payne

PS: The idea of positioning at as Aston Martin owner's only buy is funny though. It'll be kind of a "Aston keychain" or "Aston cufflinks", a novelty buy with some utility thrown in.

PPS: The Mini and Smart examples are completely different examples - I hope you understand. There's a way to take a brand downmarket and that is not by downgrading your existing premium equity!

Last edited by d_payne : 30th June 2009 at 22:58.
Old 1st July 2009, 00:04   #10
BHPian

*prayer* please don't do this Aston, please don't *prayer*
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Beautiful! I just love Aston Martins! Hopefully someone will bring a V12 Vantage down soon!

Speaking of AM, has anyone seen the *cough* Aston *cough* Martin iQ, sorry, Cygnet?! Ridiculous! Take a look...

Its Toyota iQ inside the Aston Martin cover..
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:43   #12
BHPian

The car will be priced around £20000
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Beautiful! I just love Aston Martins! Hopefully someone will bring a V12 Vantage down soon!

Speaking of AM, has anyone seen the *cough* Aston *cough* Martin iQ, sorry, Cygnet?! Ridiculous! Take a look...
so u picked it up from top gear website didn't you. No offense coz i was just going to upload that pic myself only to realize you posted it !! cute one though.
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

No, I didn't actually. I never visit the Top Gear website! This is the only picture that Aston's released so far, so it's on virtually ALL the car websites.

I would actually find it quite interesting to have a tiny city car IF Aston did some major work on the engine and suspension and made the car sporty, in addition to the reported luxury factor they are already imbuing the car with. Problem is, it would then defeat the very purpose for which Aston is entering this tie-up...to make their average CO2 emissions across the range drastically lower.
Old 20th December 2009, 15:02   #15
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Preview

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet1.jpg

- Exterior:: pop- up handles; new front & rear bumpers; head & tail lights and multispoke alloy wheels.
- Interior:: has the same basic features apart from the premium materials
- Engine details not out yet but is believed to be the same 1.3L petrol of iQ.
- in the beginning, sales are exclusively to existing Aston Martin owners
- expected production and sale before the end of 2010 (UK and Europe)
- Pricing expected to be around $32,000

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet2.jpg

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet3.jpg

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet4.jpg

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet5.jpg

New Aston Martin Cygnet...built by Toyota-astonmartincygnet6.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks