Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's more Weird? - Audi Grille V/s Bangled BMW
Audi's Grille: 9 56.25%
Chris Bangle's BMW's: 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 01:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Initially, i didn't take on the BMW's new look but it slowly grew on me. The bangled bmw looks great in metal - macho and fantastic street presence. The 3 and 5 series beemer's look awesome but i still don't like the 6 series. (pic shown below).
the Audi on the other hand is definately more weird of the two. Gives the car's a walrus look.

Old 9th September 2004, 01:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

I'm gonna hold my vote till I see the Audi in person, simply coz these sorta designs look better in the flesh. But, going by pictures alone...well...its really hard coz I like some Bangled beemers like the 5 and to some extent the 6 series.

However this new audi look really does not appeal to me one bit in the pics. Imagine that front number plate not being there...as it is in most states in the US...that would make the front even uglier!

Null vote from me.

Rt
Old 9th September 2004, 02:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hard one here.

Actually when i first saw the 7-series, the first of uncontrolled 'bangleism', i despized it completely. Nothing appealed to me. Having been a BMW nut since age 6, i really was disappointed with the way BMW was taking shape. It was a t a time when the M3 was just out, the M5 was the undisputed king on performance sedans and the rest of the BMW kinship (baring the Z8) had looks that would make even the most hardcore bmw hater do a double-take.

But then, with time i started to understand this bangleism funda. Sure, i still hate the 7 series for looks, but when i personally saw the Z4, i understood what he really wanted to do. BMW has had a policy of making understated cars. Good. But that also means restricting the kind and number of clientele. If you see the E39, E46 etc, you actually come to wonder, how much more muscular can BMWs really get? Therefore a change was inevitable. It might sound quite strange at first, but a bit of thinking and you realise the same.
I know GTO won't agree to this

Of course i now have come to like the 5 series as well as 6. The Z4 is a bone of contention, my mind never made up on whether its like or dislike. I don't much appreciate the 1-series, its really not BMWs core competency. So the design doesn't even come into the picture. Now with so many 5s and 2 6s in b'bay, i really have started to like the look. In pictures it looks a bit unBMWish, but after a few sightings you start to realise that it still retains some of BMWs understatedness.

The E39 too was despised at first. Neither did i really like it much in 1996. Until 2000-2001 when they came out with clear-lens headlamps and xenons along with a slightly changed front air-dam. Today, its on my top 10 car list of all time, the 5 series that really changed the rules for executive cars.

Audi has seriously started losing it as well. Their previous design, IMO had an opportunity to become even more sophisticated, even more pleasant. That typical european "built from a single brick of aluminium" look has disappeared. That black strip for the no. plate could have so easily been body coloured, but no, they decided to derive some inspiration from some of their friends up-north in the Irish sea. The Blue Whale.

Walter DeSilva could really do by stop making Audis look like alfas. The A4 and A6 no longer have that instant audi recognition.

Revv

Old 9th September 2004, 11:49   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd take the look of a damned 118NE over Chris Bangles BMWs.

Irrespective of the fact that I love the new Audi front end, I really would prefer the look of most cars over the Bangle.

GTO
Old 9th September 2004, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

man,dont know in real life but in the pics that audi's grill looks like an toilet seat!
god know's whats happening to thesecar makers, bmw got bangled, the merc's r becoming korean, audi's going the santiary way, alteast the caddies look good
Old 9th September 2004, 16:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

i vote for the audi being more wierd looking ( i love the look of the audi nose though ) . the reason being that BMW even after being bangled, give me a faint recollection of what it used to look like before bangle.

audi's grille is a bit more outlandish.. i guess but i like the A4 look here .

pst aadix
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]that audi's grill looks like an toilet seat!
.. so by default ..it means that i love toilet seats !!

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 18:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

I like that Audi's look. Pretty bold change.
Elantra to follow this soon since they've already having the lower intake design on Elantra. Or don't know for a change if it's Elantra's original contribution to can take the credit!!
Old 9th September 2004, 20:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Sep. 09 2004,14:31)]pst aadix *
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]that audi's grill looks like an toilet seat!
.. *so by default ..it means that i love toilet seats !!

cheers
lol!

hope i didnt offend u bud!
Old 9th September 2004, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

I`ve voted for the Audi.Somehow not happenin.
Can digest the Beamer anyday to this Audi.
Cya.

And yeah.....toilet seat.I just knew somethings very fishy....lol.
Peace out!
Old 10th September 2004, 00:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hope i didnt offend u bud!
not at all pal !!

infact toilet seats are the best seats in town if u want some peace and quiet !!

cheers
Old 10th September 2004, 11:49   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

P-U-K-E!! Just saw a brownish golden bangled 7 series with the number 7777.

Once again, Audi anyday.

GTO
Old 13th September 2004, 01:43   #12
BHPian

Call me what you may, but you'll never catch me dead in these new-age Beemers or Audis, or even Mercs for that matter. Wish I could just turn back time.

Good designs are what stand the test of time. Designs that grow on you are not that 'good' IMO. Hell, even the Santro and the Qualis designs have grown on us, so now we dont find them to be as ugly as they were at their debuts.

DesignsHaving 'street presence' is something, and good design is something else. Even Tyson has presence, lots of it......but I dont think we'd call him handsome...would we?? I'd settle (does not imply same gender preference ) for James Dean or Robert Redford anyday.

PS: Null vote

Old 13th September 2004, 11:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Manticore, you took the words right out of my mouth. Well put.

Timeless designs are really something else. The W126 Mercedes, the E39 5 series. They just dont make 'em like that anymore

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks