Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 13:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Americans ready to buy Made in India cars

Quote:
The study, Opportunity for Chinese and Indian Brands in the USA, is based on a national survey of more than 30,000 new-car and -truck buyers.
Quote:
Of those surveyed, 15 per cent would consider buying their next vehicle from China, while 11 per cent would consider a car from India. This compares with 16 per cent who said they would consider a vehicle from Korea.
Quote:
Those willing to consider Chinese or Indian brands are more likely to currently own Japanese and Korean brands
Quote:
The study also revealed that while those who would consider a car from China or India rate reliability and durability high, they are not as interested in vehicle dynamics such as handling, braking or acceleration.
Source: Canadian Driver.

Last edited by amit : 30th July 2009 at 13:06.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:36   #2
BANNED

Wait for the US Economy o pick up, and these percentages will drop. To the average yank a Caddy is superior to the Rolls!
Old 30th July 2009, 14:54   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Interesting survey and I'm rather surprised on the results. Not too sure of what the quality will be like of cars manufactured in China.

How come there is no mention of the Japs?
Old 30th July 2009, 15:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Amit,

None of the quotes you provided justify your thread title. And since when was Canadian Driver an authority on what American are ready to buy?
Old 30th July 2009, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

@REdMM340 : This is what you get when you open the link

Quote:
Americans open to Indian, Chinese cars: AutoPacific

Tustin, California - A new study shows that many U.S. buyers are almost as likely to buy a car made in China or India as they are one from Korea, according to auto research firm AutoPacific.
I guess they must be thinking "Now that we use hardware/ softwares/ systems made by them lets try their cars too "
Old 30th July 2009, 16:05   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I guess they must be thinking "Now that we use hardware/ softwares/ systems made by them lets try their cars too"
Your line had me in splits, but come to think of it, it probably is what they are thinking.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Amit,

None of the quotes you provided justify your thread title. And since when was Canadian Driver an authority on what American are ready to buy?
Canadian Driver isn't saying this. It was a research done by Asia Pacific, a auto firm. The link opens with the words "Americans open to Indian and Chinese cars" and goes onto say that 11% of those surveyed said they would consider a Made in India car as their next purchase. My thread title has merely rephrased the above sentence.

Quote:
I guess they must be thinking "Now that we use hardware/ softwares/ systems made by them lets try their cars too "
From the article:

Quote:
“However, with so many premium and high-tech non-automotive products already being made in China and purchased by Americans, why not automobiles too?
Old 30th July 2009, 16:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cost of the cars could be the major consideration. However, they should know that these cars are not designed by American companies like other goods are.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:40   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How can North-American be ready to consider Indian cars, when they haven't even *tasted* our machines yet? I mean, you gotta experience a particular nationality's cars to know what they are like. All of us expect German cars to be solid, safe & expensive, Japanese to be reliable, fuel efficient and user friendly, Korean as value priced & with a long equipment list and American cars to be, well, average in most areas (and not excel in any particular one).

What about Indian cars? The way that I see Tata & Mahindra : Robust & ready for abuse, strength in diesels, well-priced, poor ride / handling balance, and lacking in outright quality, fit and finish. Let's face it, they have a long way to go before competing in the mainstream car segment at a global level. Niches, sure. The Nano could sell in Europe just as a Mahindra cheap pickup could find rural American buyers. I also have my doubts on whether they will be able to realise the cost advantage that they enjoy in India. Atleast not as much.

P.S. : Do the Americans know that the only Indian car with an automatic transmission suffers from a poor marriage (Scorpio + its auto tranny)? Maybe we ought to go back and take that survey again After all, 99% of the North American market is auto.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2009 at 22:42.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@REdMM340 : This is what you get when you open the link

Lets add the voice support they get from our call centers and the business process outsourcing bit to this as well.
Old 30th July 2009, 23:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Mahindra, and to some extent TATA, which other car maker would the average American know of? We do know that the Mahindra pick-up truck will be here in the next few years, probably same with the Nano. But beyond that?
Old 30th July 2009, 23:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How can North-American be ready to consider Indian cars, when they haven't even *tasted* our machines yet?
I have taken several automobile related survery's like that. I participated in JD power and other company surveys for BMW, Lexus, infiniti and Saab vehicles and the questions were anywhere from driving dynamics to how theirs ads are perceived. Most of the time the brand that is being surveyed or the survey topic is not very clear from the questions... sometimes it can be made out but most of the times it can't be.

I would presume the questions for the above survey would have been something like 'What is more important when you are purchasing a car' and choices would be country of origin, looks, FE etc. The somewhere they would ask if the person would buy a reliable, good looking, and Fuel Efficient car if it were made in India or China. Some people would say yes, but they most likely will not buy the vehicle when they are presented with the choice. So out of the 16%, even if 0.5% buy the vehicles, that is considerable sales target for Indian and Chinese companies.
Old 31st July 2009, 00:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Canadian Driver isn't saying this. It was a research done by Asia Pacific, a auto firm. The link opens with the words "Americans open to Indian and Chinese cars" and goes onto say that 11% of those surveyed said they would consider a Made in India car as their next purchase. My thread title has merely rephrased the above sentence.

From the article:
@Technocrat & Amit:

No I did not open the link to look at the Canadian Driver article. But just think about it. The article is from a company called Asia Pacific which is obviously a China company.

I can tell you right now that this is a bogus article. The article lumps together Chinese, Indian, & Korean cars. Korean cars have been in the US for at least a decade and are well respected. In fact Korean cars in the US are giving the Japanese stiff competition. Chinese cars and Indian cars are non-existent in the US market.

Don't believe for a minute that US consumers are ready to accept China made or India made cars. There are just too many questions regarding safety to allow acceptance in the US. Keep in mind that Chinese products are generally regarded as being cheap and low quality. The US consumer may be willing to accept a Barbie doll or bathroom slippers made in China, but getting in an automobile that can speed down the road at 100+ kph with you and your family in it is a whole different story. The only Indian made products that Americans have had any experience with is probably ready make garments up till now.

As far a Mahindra goes, I am not sure where they may be able to carve a niche. The pick up that they want to introduce in the US is not supposed to be low cost, but highly fuel efficient due to a small diesel engine. Problem is that all the major US car makers are getting ready with their own small diesels, and can offer higher quality pick ups for lower prices and proven safety records.
Old 31st July 2009, 00:43   #14
BANNED

right now the koreans read hyundai is a major headache to the likes of honda and toyota read japs.

the 5 yr warranty package given is really making waves.

santa fe and genesis and avante are selling like hot cakes even now. i really dont think the koreans have any worries in the US its the Japs that are trying hard to keep up with the koreans even now the japs dont give the bullet proof warranties given by hyundai.
the extended warranties go onto a period of ten yrs!!

as far as the title of this thread is concerned, i think the recession has hit these guys real hard
Old 31st July 2009, 01:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
@Technocrat & Amit:

No I did not open the link to look at the Canadian Driver article. But just think about it. The article is from a company called Asia Pacific which is obviously a China company.
The company name is Auto Pacific as in a company based in California. Its not a chinese company.

Probably the U.S people, well versed with global knowledge (!!) might think we are all the same to some extent. That is the reason they think India and China might be slightly below Koreans (like Koreans are below Japs). Plus add the hoopla about Nano and you cant fault them for thinking like that.

Last edited by srishiva : 31st July 2009 at 01:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks