Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 09:08   #1
BHPian

Building Corvette ZR1 to smoke Veyron

Hello again,

I'm reaching out to Team BHP seeking advice on the following. I recently published an article, "Corvette ZR1 Sledgehammer challenges Bugatti Veyron top speed". Back in 1988, a Callaway Corvette project named "Sledgehammer" took a '88 vette and created a 254 mph daily drivable version using forced induction, upgraded aerodynamics, intense engine modifications, and other various mods to accomplish the task at hand. It was a great build, stable, and completely capable of either a grocery trip or traversing earth at a blistering 254 mph.

Twenty years later, the Corvette ZR1 was created with a much more powerful and higher performance chassis than that of it's predecessor. A larger engine, OEM forced induction via Eaton supercharger, better suspension, etc. I believe that with the right modifications, we can again achieve a higher top speed than before.

My question to Team-BHP is, "If you were to build a Corvette ZR1 Sledgehammer, what modifications would you choose to get the vehicle daily drivable, and fully capable and stable at more than 250 mph?"

If they built one 20 years ago with limited technology, I know we can do better now.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:54   #2
BHPian

@skoloseven OT - Hi Just saw location (Tampa) under your Handle So I thought I should ask you where you put up in Tampa. I use to live there a year ago threrefore I asked.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:14   #3
BHPian

I live just at the tip of the bay in "oldsmar", right by the Citrus park mall. Did you like Tampa? I like it here, I feel it is a very clean city. My family lineage hails from Mumbai, I would like to go there one day and see where my family came from. These are my hopes! Do you think it's possible to build a ZR1 faster than the Bugatti? I do! Hopefully we get some good tips and input on this thread and then I'll link it up in my article
Old 25th August 2009, 07:45   #4
BHPian

Looks like a project I'd love to take up, as the Corvette is one of my favourite cars (if not the favourite).

I think it's entirely possible to outrun the Veyron with a modified ZR1. If you look at the Veyron, it's nothing but a V16 engine with 4 turbos and an AWD system to give it maximum traction. In my opinion, I don't think the Veyron actually needs all the 1001 bhp to reach 254 mph. They just compensated for the extra drivetrain losses due to the extra differential(s) involved in the AWD system.

For the ZR1, it's already got the weight advantage over the Veyron, weighing a good 1000 lbs less than the Veyron. So combining that with the reduced drivetrain losses because of the RWD, the Corvette probably needs about 100-150 bhp more at the rear wheels to surpass the Veyron. Of course the aerodynamics will need to be improved as well, and I'm guessing a bigger diffuser at the back and a front end splitter combined with a Veyron style height adjustable rear wing should do the trick.

In the end, the quicker the Corvette can overcome the drag at the higher speeds, the faster it'll be able to go. Maybe a really tall 5th and 6th gear should also help, depending on the power and torque band of the engine.

But the most important thing are the brakes. You'll need a lot of braking force to stop the car from 250+ mph, and improved cooling to vent the brakes. Ceramic rotors are a must, even if they last only 5000 km.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 25th August 2009 at 07:50.
Old 25th August 2009, 10:05   #5
BHPian

Those are some really good points you make sujaylahiri! Thank you for contributing. Your post was very informative! V8muscle forum at Streetfire.net suggested the same Veyron style spoiler and a twin turbo setup. Do you have any suggestions upon turbo type or do you feel the Eaton supercharger system is good enough?

The braking system could be a Brembo big brake kit, and possible custom build high pressure brake hydraulic system to make it activate quicker. Steel lines, ceramic pads, and drilled & slotted rotors would help. Some good aerodynamics to vent cool air into the brakes would help a lot! The rim design would also play a roll in the effective braking, maybe a thin race style spoke would be ideal.

The aerodynamics would be the most important part I believe, as this will determine overall speed. If we strip the ZR1 down to chassis and replace everything with custom carbon fiber, we could shed weight and improve aerodynamics at the same time!

Engine heat would be considerable at these speeds as well, and some sort of engine bay cooling medium would be ideal. Ductwork in the front to funnel air through the engine bay with a special type of Co2 injection in the intake to cool down the charge. That way you have cold air running through the engine bay as well! Co2 could also be used in the actual intake, intercooler, and oil/trans coolers. A combo of water spray and co2 would help keep the intercoolers effectively "iced" over so the driver could anticipate a high speed run and prepare the intercoolers with a layer of ice by the press of a button.

Gearing will be very important, and using a lubricant that will withstand the RPM our differentials will experience would be required. We don't want to lock up at 250+ mph! Also another oil cooler for differential fluid with co2 and h2o to produce ice effect would be ideal.

It would take a lot of money, a good team of builders, and a long time. With these speeds, testing would be of utmost importance. We would need to approach this with data logging and testing as number one priority. All materials would need stress and temp testing, liquids too!

This has been fun theorizing a build, let the fun continue!
Old 25th August 2009, 11:19   #6
BHPian

@skoloseven:

When the veyron was launched i was wondering whats the hype around it cause my memory was flickering with pictures of the "sledgehammer" which went past 250 mph.

Now coming to your proposed project. Would advise you to go for the superchargers. Go for 2 as you will need that much boost and at the same time forge all possible components to take on that extra pressure. Going for turbos will hamper your street driveability as i dont think it will be easy to tune the turbo to provide low down boost as you would require serious high end boost for the 250 mph dash.

Would suggest you concentrate on the diffuser as that where your max downforce would come from. Wrt the front splitter it would be good if you do a few runs with various splitter angles and then decide on the best compromise, cause a 1 degree more front angle could cost you 10 mph or more.

Do keep us posted of the project as and when you start it.

All the best.
Old 29th August 2009, 13:02   #7
BHPian

I've done some research with professionals in the business, friends involved with motorsports, and some of the most hard core Corvette enthusiasts in the world. They all give me thumbs up and say, "The only thing holding you back is money."

So that being said, I'd say it's completely possible to build a Corvette ZR1 Sledgehammer edition to smoke the Veyron. It may not be covered in luxurious leather, but at those speeds are you going to even bother looking at the interior? Nope! This project is currently seeking funding, and I have just begun. I will not let this idea go to waste. If you want to join in this secret project, sponsor placement is available.

Right now, we are starting from scratch. We don't even have a ZR1 yet b/c they are so hard to find. First things first, we need the car! Anyone got a Corvette ZR1 for sale? It needs to be OEM stock with minimal mileage please.
Old 29th August 2009, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Also, dont concentrate entirely on bhp. Give torque equal importance.

So ideally, you would want to use as much boost as possible and achieve the most bhp and torque at a low rpm. The Veyon produces max-power@6000 and max-torque@2200-5500.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks