Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2004, 04:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Looks like BMW has lost it.

After years of speculation, it seems that they just might launch the 4-series. Channel 4 managed to get a scoop of a convertible being tested and pics of the car.

BMW 4 Series - Channel 4 scoop

Revv
Old 19th September 2004, 04:23   #2
BHPian

on germancarfans.com, i saw a post where they said that bmw will no longer be using the 2,4 series nomenclature..and i think it was some official post..but even if they launch it, 4 is nothing but 3 coupe..so y do u say that bmw has lost it?
Old 19th September 2004, 04:25   #3
BHPian

or it could be that the m4 will no longer be used but they will cont with m3 sedan/coupe..im not sure...ill check on that..
Old 20th September 2004, 16:28   #4
BHPian

They are making a 4 series but there probably won't be an M version of it.
Old 20th September 2004, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Well guys,
they are launching the 4 series and they will have an M4. They wont be having an M3 anymore. What BMW are doing is that they are giving even numbers to all 2 doors i.e. 2,4 & 6 (maybe 8 including Z4 and Z8) and odd numbers to 4 doors and 5 doors i.e. 1,3,5 & 7 (including X3 & X5).
Old 20th September 2004, 22:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Naah.....the BMW status has been left out it seems.....
Not upto the mark.
But methinks the final version on-road wud be a little appreciable.
Cya.
Old 20th September 2004, 23:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (///AMG @ Sep. 20 2004,08:17)]Well guys,
* * * they are launching the 4 series and they will have an M4. They wont be having an M3 anymore. What BMW are doing is that they are giving even numbers to all 2 doors i.e. 2,4 & 6 (maybe 8 including Z4 and Z8) and odd numbers to 4 doors and 5 doors i.e. 1,3,5 & 7 (including X3 & X5).
Hey AMG, as far as I have known this is old news and the new one says that People still prefer the M3 naming convention than changing it to the M4..and also they are having an M3 as far as I checked, its going to be the 4 door version for sure..I dont know what the coupe will be called..

m4 or m3..thats to be seen..

and as for the regular 4 and 3..they are nothing but the same cars..just 4 = coupe for 3, but i read that they are doing away with that...but i guess not now..its getting confusing..

lets c what they end up doing..]

and also on the X series note...they have either an X7 in the works or an X5L cuz they are planning on a 7 seat version..may be they will redesign the X5 to now have 7 seats..I dont know..but I am dying for a 7 seat BMW..that in my opinion would be the ultimate

Old 20th September 2004, 23:33   #8
BHPian

Crazi4Speed as per earlier Notes they are going to name it X5L. That is because its an X5 which is stretched rather than being based on the 7 Chassis.
Old 21st September 2004, 02:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (_Crazi4Speed_ @ Sep. 19 2004,02:53)]on germancarfans.com, i saw a post where they said that bmw will no longer be using the 2,4 series nomenclature..and i think it was some official post..but even if they launch it, 4 is nothing but 3 coupe..so y do u say that bmw has lost it?
Ok C4S, here's why i think BMW has lost it.

First up, they had just a small range of vehicles. The 3,5,7,X5, Z3 and Z8. Small enough to manage and make really good cars out of. Then BMW decided, hey how about a 6. Then 1, then X3. Now look at these new cars.

First up, the 6 series. I like its looks in the pics, no comments on in flesh. But really what is it doing besides being a nice comfy cruiser. That isn't BMW's forte. Then 1-series. Ok, fine Mercedes has the A class but does that mean BMW also needs another one there? Competing with cars like Golf, is BMW really going to get people rushing to the showrooms to buy that ugly beast? The X3 is the biggest joke of the century. It isn't a great off-roader, neither is it gr8 value for money because you get a one year old or thereabouts spankingly well maintained X5.

So what is BMW doing in all these places? Don't ask me but i see what BMW is trying to do. Foolishly replicate the Mercedes programme for themselves when Mercedes is trying to copy BMW's old school philosophy. The 4 series is questionable. No, it doesn't do much for the BMW brand. Seriously. BMW is best at sticking to a smalled and highly developed line-up which are very involving to drive. But instead BMW is developing way too many platforms than it can sustain. The result? Falling quality levels, newer models having several bugs that need to be fixed even after the car has left the showroom.

4-series, Z5, X5L, Z9 to be added to an already burgeoning line-up doesn't make an iota of sense.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks