Team-BHP - Autocar UK's 2005 0-100-0mph test - Ariel Atom 2 is the quickest among the cars.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Autocar UK's 2005 0-100-0mph test - Ariel Atom 2 is the quickest among the cars. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/6545-autocar-uks-2005-0-100-0mph-test-ariel-atom-2-quickest-among-cars.html)

Autocar held it's anual 0-100-0 mph test to find out the fastest car/bike of the year.

And here are the 2005 results.

Test related site

Streaming video of the Atom in action.

More news on the Atom.

Shan2nu

Just one thing...the note says four wheel driven cars are tougher to launch than rear-wheelers. Can you explain why? I can't quite follow the logic...

it is explained there in the note V1p3r... :)

Im surprised that even today AWD's are slower off the mark than RWD cars.

With the kind of onboard technology these modern cars have, it shouldn't really be a prob.

Agreed that the weight gets transfered to the rear which causes the front wheels to lose grip. But, what if the car is smart enuf to maximise the amount of power reaching the rear wheels, depending on how much traction the front wheels have!!

In such a situation, i don't see the RWD cars gaining any advantage.

My guess is that he's talking of "rear engined-rwd cars" in particular. That's the reason why he preffers the Porsche (which is a RE RWD).

But, if you consider FE RWD, there nothing t choose between them.

Shan2nu

Ariel Atom 2 thread being the fastest cheap car was already there ...
But how come they didnt test the ENZO ...
Its the only car that beat the Atom during TOPGEAR track testing ...

Quote:

But how come they didnt test the ENZO ...
Its the only car that beat the Atom during TOPGEAR track testing ...
They already tested it in the previous challenge. The Enzo managed a time of 10.98 secs while the Mclaren F1 managed 11.44 (must have lost it in the braking).

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Im surprised that even today AWD's are slower off the mark than RWD cars.

My guess is that he's talking of "rear engined-rwd cars" in particular. That's the reason why he preffers the Porsche (which is a RE RWD).

Porsche 911 GT3 (RE AWD) had a faster 0-100 than the GT2 (RE RWD) which had a little more power. This clearly proves that AWDs are faster off the line all other things being equal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
Porsche 911 GT3 (RE AWD) had a faster 0-100 than the GT2 (RE RWD) which had a little more power. This clearly proves that AWDs are faster off the line all other things being equal.

The GT3 is just RWD. The power difference is quite a bit, 381 bhp for the GT3 and 483 bhp for thr GT2. Harder to get traction of the line for the GT2 though, tough not to spin it's wheels.

i am surprised they didnt include the skyline in this test ...the EVO has full time AWD which perhaps makes it slower in the tarmac while taking off ...but the skyline has the best of tractions ...it has torque split which comes into play while cornering /maintaining traction ..otherwise it has the characteristics of a RWD ..

Quote:

i am surprised they didnt include the skyline in this test
Which Skyline r you talking about, the R34? Didn't that go out of production a long time ago.

This test was only conducted on the recent models. You'l have to check up on the previous tests to see what times the Skyline managed. My guess is that it'll be in the 15-16 sec bracket.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
Just one thing...the note says four wheel driven cars are tougher to launch than rear-wheelers. Can you explain why? I can't quite follow the logic...

Not really. The new lambo mucielago is all wheel drive and is still damn fast. It all depends on how the installation has been done,what engine the car is carrying and the characteristics of the engine.

yeah ,
infact the autocar issue of sept 2004 where they had a high speed test of 6 cars at nardo ; they said that the lambo managed to beat the MM SLR and CGT in 0-60 solely because of its all wheel drive system.
Thinking of the start problem, one can always bias the power delivery to the front and rear axle. e.g. 30 % front and 70 % rear etc. (the same way as engineers bias the brakes albeit the other way round).
Traction control & launch control would however sort that problem out by computing and delivering the optimum power to each of the four wheels.
Moreover, if all wheel drive was a curse, the designers of the Bugatti Veyron would have discarded the idea at the conceptual level itself. We must remember that the weight of a whole extra differential is quite substantial and supercar designers would like to avoid the extra weight unless it offered far more of an advantage over RWD.