Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:26   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford reports $1 billion Q3 profit - First quarter in the black since early 2005!!

Quote from ET: "Ford Motor Co earned $1 billion in the third quarter, fueled by US market share gains, cost cuts and the government's Cash for Clunkers rebates."

Full article here: Ford reports $1 billion Q3 profit- International Business-News-The Economic Times

What was interesting to me was this part,

"Ford also has benefited from consumer goodwill after it declined government bailout money and didn't go into bankruptcy over the summer as GM and Chrysler did. Ford grabbed sales from its rivals, posting the largest increase in market share of any automaker in September. Ford expects an overall gain in US market share in 2009, a feat it hasn't accomplished since 1995."

If possible can someone please post the actual % market share?

Good times ahead for Ford then
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow, Ford's on an absolute roll! Compare its condition to the other 1.5 US automakers (GM & Chrysler) who literally went with a begging bowl to Washington. At the end of the day, all that counts is good cars + a relevant product line. Its management 101 actually, and one that's so often overlooked by high-flying CEOs who only talk of "cost cutting, synergies, blah blah strategies, philosophies" etc. Alan Mulally (ex-Boeing CEO) has proven that a non-car guy can bring an entirely new perspective. I mean, at the end of the day, 2009 was probably one of the worst years for the American auto industry. I'm pretty sure that Ford's slimming exercise (read = getting rid of all unwanted brands) and focusing on the core had a lot to do with this green result.

Ford's doing pretty well in Consumer Report's quality rankings too. The financial report + their quality ratings will go a long way in increasing consumer confidence in the brand.

P.S. : I'm quite curious to gauge if the situation had been the same, had they NOT offloaded Jaguar / Land Rover to a certain Mr. Tata!
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm pretty sure that Ford's slimming exercise (read = getting rid of all unwanted brands) and focusing on the core had a lot to do with this green result.

P.S. : I'm quite curious to gauge if the situation had been the same, had they NOT offloaded Jaguar / Land Rover to a certain Mr. Tata!
+1. Allan Mullay had mentioned the same in his interview to ACI Nov'09 issue.

My two personal fav Auto companies are Ford (Unmatched Drivers car under 10L) and Toyota (Unmatched reliability). I sincerely wish they make it big in India in the coming years!
Old 4th November 2009, 11:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
My two personal fav Auto companies are Ford (Unmatched Drivers car under 10L)
Fords have character and how! The F series trucks, the Mustang, the Focus....closer home, the Fiesta 1.6S, the Endeavour and the erstwhile Mondeo. All cars reeking of sheer character.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks