Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 17:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013

Reports have emerged that Mercedes-Benz's performance division, AMG, is working on an SLS Black Series set to debut in 2013.

News of the super exclusive Gullwing hypercar has been kicking around for some time now, and finally some details are emerging from Mercedes sources who've spoken to Autocar about what an SLS Black Series will look like.

First off, there has got to be a performance upgrade. The SLS's standard M159 engine, a 6.2 liter V8 power plant with 563 bhp and 648 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque, will be dialed up to around 600 bhp and 677 Nm (500 lb-ft) of cranking kraft. The Black Series' 0 to 100km/h sprint is expected to fall below 3.5 seconds, from the standard SLS's 3.8. Top speed will rise to from 314 km/h (195 mph) to 335 km/h (208 mph).

AMG will achieve that power upgrade by increasing the compression ratio of the engine, creating a new profile for the camshafts and using a larger air intake manifold. But how much power can AMG continue to squeeze out of that 6.2 liter V8? Plenty.

"We're not at the limit with what's out there the moment. We're saving the best until last," says Friedrich Eichler, head of engine development at AMG.

The SLS Black Series will be a very limited one. It is expected to come with a hefty price tag of about €260,000 (£230,000).

Source: AutoCar
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013-5409928.jpg  

Old 4th November 2009, 18:09   #2
BHPian

SLS "werkswagen" spotted in Dubai !

Guys, Mods I dont know if this deserves its own thread. I don't think so atleast. Anyway spotted this SLS at the Park Hyatt in Dubai this week. It had a silver rear bumper, said werkeswagen on rear. All the chrome and wheels were blacked out and it had a lot of testing equipment inside the car and on the right corner of the front windshield. Its obviously undergoing tests. Sorry about the pics. Didnt have a camera so took them with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013-sls1.jpg  

Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013-sls2.jpg  

Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013-sls4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th November 2009, 19:37   #3
BHPian

Helluva catch Beemer!

Did you manage to talk to the test driver/anyone around?
Old 4th November 2009, 20:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

If that's a test mule, how does it have proper registration plates? And acc. to me it doesn't look like the Black series because it doesn't have any of the 'Black' stuff like highly flared wheel arches, massive air scoops, big spoiler etc. Look how extreme the SL65 Black was!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Planning SLS AMG Black Series for 2013-mercedessl65black.jpg  

Old 4th November 2009, 22:35   #5
BHPian

I suppose it's too early for any images of a Black edition SLS (sketches, maybe), after all the launch is 4 years away. This, is merely a standard SLS put up for illustrative purposes?
Old 5th November 2009, 15:20   #6
BHPian

There was noone around the car. In fact it wasn't even in a proper parking slot. Just parked on the middle of driveway next to the parking spaces. Like they didnt even care. I dont think its a black edition being tested. But sure it had regular plates, but it doesnt seem like a private car. Even if say for instance some rich arab were to get a hold of one of these wouldnt he remove all markings of a test car and show it off as the first ever SLS in the region? Mercedes does a lot of testing in Dubai. I remember seeing a fully camouflaged new E class on emirates road once.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Dubai if you want to drive/test a car on road, there should be regn plate. Thats same even on the ruler's car, but difference is that the digits will be in red colour. As said by BEEM3R, most of the manufactures are now conducting test in Dubai for hot climate test. When ever you watch the spy videos & photos any models testing in Dubai, it used to have plates. Unlike in India, it's owner get the regn plate, not for the car. Hence the regn plate seen on these test cars will be the regn nu of the company. Daimler has got a region head quarter in Jabal Ali Freezone Dubai.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

I saw the same SLS on JBR the weekend of the F1 race, but didnt have a cam to take pics. It looked nice, not over the top exotic, but still something to look at.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks