Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 19:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Please, please BMW, don't go the electric steering way
Even in the current 3-Series the Hydraulic Steering has been ditched and all the 3 series cars here now come with Servotronic EPS. Do not expect a HPS in next gen 3. :(
Old 19th January 2011, 21:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
According to Auto Express, this is how the new 3 and M3 will look like. M3 looks wicked!!
Not a fan. It looks like theyve gone on a mission to make the 3 look as muscle-bound as they could, and they've strayed away from the 'elegant yet sporty' design that the 3 usually had.

Case in point, the E46 M3.

Manages to look mean, but in a refined sort of way. Like a thug, but in extremely well-tailored clothes. I was fortunate to drive one (looked exactly like the pic) for about 2 days down the california coast, and I loved every minute of it.

To my mind, BMW's tried to make this thing look a bit like the Lexus ISF. Lots of creases and bulges that go against the car's historical aesthetics.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^ I agree with you 100%. The E46 is still the best 3 ever! It was the best looking and even a better driver's car than the current gen 3ers.
Old 20th January 2011, 01:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Loving the looks of the new 3!

They've really captured that aggressive sportiness and packaged into a sweet looking sedan!

Can't wait for this one to hit the showrooms!
Old 20th January 2011, 15:03   #35
BHPian

Jeeezzzzzz!!!! The Auto Express render is BEAUTIFUL! The A4 will no longer be the best looking in its segment if this is accurate.

Mr. Bangle - THIS is what a Bimmer should like like!
Old 21st January 2011, 18:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

The new 3 looks good in the AutoExpress renderings,but the M3 rendering is a little hard to digest.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:40   #37
BHPian

I agree. The new 3 definitely looks better than the current one. I simply don't like the current 3 sedan. That was a major decider when it came to selecting between bmw 3 and c300.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Jeeezzzzzz!!!! The Auto Express render is BEAUTIFUL! The A4 will no longer be the best looking in its segment if this is accurate.
Mr. Bangle - THIS is what a Bimmer should like like!
I have a completely differing point of view. If you think that Chris Bangle is responsible for the looks of the current 3, you could not be more wrong. Bangle's 7- and 5-series were such polarizing cars in terms of looks that the top brass at BMW panicked and got another stylist to 'tone down' the upcoming 3-series Bangle design that was about to be released.

Time went by, and all the 5-series / 7-series / Chris Bangle critics seemed to do a 180 and realize that the 5-series is actually a stunning car. It looks edgy, mean, and yet sophisticated. Some of the most notable critics in the world (Clarkson, Hammond, the folks at Jalopnik, Car & Bike) actually had the integrity to admit that their initial impressions of the Bangle-5 were wrong and that the car was, in fact, fantastically designed.

To me, BMW missed a trick by not standing by Bangle with the 3. The current 'toned-down' 3 series is one of the most bland, uninspiring automobiles i've ever seen. It's just fourteen feet of 'car'. Bangle's original design (had BMW not watered it down to something unrecognizable) would've been memorable for all the right reasons.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
To me, BMW missed a trick by not standing by Bangle with the 3. The current 'toned-down' 3 series is one of the most bland, uninspiring automobiles i've ever seen. It's just fourteen feet of 'car'. Bangle's original design (had BMW not watered it down to something unrecognizable) would've been memorable for all the right reasons.
Bangle might not have been recognised by BMW or us but to the design world he is a God in making. Moreover, Bangle has gained a celebrity status that not many auto designers can dream of. For this he has to thank to his quirkiness and non confirmation to existing industry trend. I myself had started a thread with 'BMW back to elegant lines - come 2010' . I still feel the design and his theme always was far ahead of times. Hence I feel BMW is now on the right direction.

The only thing I hate about Auto Design of today is the family look be it the Japanese / Germans / Brits / Koreans!

Cat / Shark a great family with competent members. Each having its own sets of virtues and beautiful in its own ways. Wish Auto makers get back to old days.

Which auto maker started this ?
Is it Mercedes in the 70's or can someone throw light on this ?

Note : If the community permits and if someone has enough details , it would be a great thread with lots of learning. I would request the Auto Journalists to continue from here.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
If you think that Chris Bangle is responsible for the looks of the current 3, you could not be more wrong.
No, I am well aware of the watershedding which took place on the current 3. My hate for Bangle arises from the previous 5 series. I'm not a critic or an autoblogger or even an enthusiast but I know what I like and what I don't. I simply hated the looks of the previous 5 irrespective of the showering of praise from critics & customers alike. It is simply my opinion that the DESIGNER should NEVER overshadow the BRAND. Bangle's stint at BMW did more for him than BMW.

The upcoming 6 Series is possibly the best looking Bimmer I have seen. And the same design language has taken hold in the 3 and it looks good. Very good.

Last edited by Speeding@160mph : 1st February 2011 at 17:10.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

There you another car with the DRL's in the lower air fender. Its really get boring to see these Germans going the same way. Earlier I just loved the Beamers (though I am a hardcore merc lover) for their innovative headlight design with parking lights around the xenons and their wonderful looking light guides at the rear. Very innovative indeed. But can they not think of a better place to keep the DRL's or is there a mandatory rule which says these lights have to look so and be placed somewhere there?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 1st February 2011 at 18:39.
Old 9th February 2011, 00:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It is simply my opinion that the DESIGNER should NEVER overshadow the BRAND. Bangle's stint at BMW did more for him than BMW.
I somehow doubt that's what he set out to do. I just think his name became synonymous with the design even to the average consumer (something that was unheard of before except with names like Pininfarina) and he gained an equal amount of admiration and notoriety. You used the term watershed very well.

Quote:
The upcoming 6 Series is possibly the best looking Bimmer I have seen. And the same design language has taken hold in the 3 and it looks good. Very good.
On paper, the 3 looks better than the old one, I admit. But then again, that's not saying much. I suppose it's subjective at the end of the day, but I admired the clean, elegant lines the E46 had. The new M3 seems to be a ripoff of the Lexus ISF's design philosophy - all needless bulges and edges to make the car look purposeful. In my opinion it looks a little crass.
Old 9th February 2011, 01:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Wow , is the M3 really getting a turbo ?. It's V8 is already so potent but i guess BMW doesn't like it when the competition gets even a little closer. Especially after the new Mustang and Lexus ISF are just a hair apart in performance.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:34   #44
BANNED

2012 BMW 3-series (F30) Rear View Revealed Via Render

Guys check this out!!!!!!

2012 BMW 3-series (F30) Rear View Revealed Via Render - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

it getting very close to f10 5, I dont like it much..
taranonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2012 BMW 3-series (F30) Rear View Revealed Via Render

Why I am not surprised. With this set of new cars, BMW has completely transformed into the VAG style of design language. I am already looking forward to the successor of Adrian Van Hooydonk
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks