Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 09:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan

article here:Spied: 2012 BMW 3-Series Sedan

While the 2012 BMW 3-Series might seem a long ways off, our spies have captured the first photos of a next-generation prototype fresh from Europe. The typical 3-Series look — evident since the E36 through to the E46 and currently the E90 — will remain, meaning squat proportions, short rear overhang and wheels placed to each corner. That said, the car will look slimmer and more toned compared to the current 3-Series.

Sources indicate the front of the car receives a widened kidney grille with shapely lighting units on either side. The rear of the car will sport a typical BMW layout with classic L-shape lighting units.

The Cabrio will retain the folding hardtop, which has proven to be the most successful 3-Series cabrio ever.

BMW will also ship the next 3-Series with the latest in Efficient Dynamics technologies. Like the 1-Series, there will be an active hybrid model using a range-extended three-cylinder engine connected to an electric motor. Also on the feature list will be lightweight resistance tires, aerodynamically designed alloy wheels, improved aerodynamics, a solar roof panel for extra energy efficiency, brake energy regeneration, stop-start technology, and pre-heating for the engine, gearbox and differential
Attached Thumbnails
Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-1.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-2.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-4.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-5.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-6.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-7.jpeg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-8.jpeg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-9.jpeg  

Old 5th November 2009, 17:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I can find two element very similar to it's rivals. Wheel design look identical to the new E-class's wheel. And the tail pipe is very much like those of Audis!
Old 5th November 2009, 17:30   #3
BHPian

Looks larger than an E90 to me. I thought BMW would revert back to the E46 design to combat increasing weight and decreasing fuel economy.

What the heck is a trailer hitch doing on that car? Are 3 series cars going to pull boats and caravans now?
Old 6th November 2009, 01:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me, or do the tail lamps (in the last pic) look PSed?
Old 6th November 2009, 01:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Is it just me, or do the tail lamps (in the last pic) look PSed?
I think so too. Even the mirrors and front lights look odd. Definitely some funny business here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
What the heck is a trailer hitch doing on that car? Are 3 series cars going to pull boats and caravans now?
They've been on the european (and american, i guess) beemers for a very long time.

Last edited by anekho : 6th November 2009 at 01:51.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
They've been on the european (and american, i guess) beemers for a very long time.
It's Bimmer and not Beemer. I own an American spec 335 and don't have that on my car. In fact, I know dozens of guys who own American/Gulf spec Bimmers but nobody has that on their car. SUVs yes, but cars most definitely not. In fact, the Euro spec 1 series I rented a month back in France didn't have that either.

Last edited by khan75 : 6th November 2009 at 01:59.
Old 6th November 2009, 03:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
It's Bimmer and not Beemer. I own an American spec 335 and don't have that on my car. In fact, I know dozens of guys who own American/Gulf spec Bimmers but nobody has that on their car. SUVs yes, but cars most definitely not. In fact, the Euro spec 1 series I rented a month back in France didn't have that either.
Ok. I wasn't clear on the US ones. But they're there in the european ones - usually as a basic option (which everyone in Sweden takes). Also they're usually the fold-able kind, ie, not visible when you don't need it.
Old 6th November 2009, 04:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Nope, its definitely not on the American 3/5/7 series. Seen some on the X3/X5s with the hauling hitch.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

These are a few more shots of new BMW 3-series. Isn't the hood too high ?

Source : 2012 BMW 3-Series Spied on the Road

Article :

Quote:
More spy images of the 2012 BMW 3 Series are cropping up. These were taken on the streets of Munich where it is undergoing further testing. Due to the black and white body disguise, important details and key design characteristics are quite obscured. But it does look like some dimensional gains were made, especially on the length of the car. While this may be, engineers are working on solutions to keep weight down and efficiencies up.

The 3 Series is BMW's most important model and is therefore the one always in the middle in terms of design extremes. It tries not to offend while simultaneously pushing the styling envelope.

Handling is expected to be top notch if not class-leading. Complimentary engines will include petrols (turbo and non-turbo), turbo diesels and possibly a hybrid. The M3 model, anticipated for a 2013 launch, is rumoured to feature a smaller turbocharged motor in line with other current M cars.

Countries currently manufacturing the 3er include Egypt, South Africa, Germany, Russia and India.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3-nn-1.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3-nn-2.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3-nn-3.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3-nn-4.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-3-nn-5.jpg  

Old 11th November 2009, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice, I quite like the elongated shape. The bonnet does seem a little high as aago pointed out. Overall, definitely an improvement over the present one.

Those tow hooks have been available as accessories for ages now, I guess only people who are into camping or sailing buy it. It is probably fixed on the test car so that some tests can be run.

Incidentally, is Bimmer the american equivalent of Beemer? I have also heard motorcycles being referred to as Beemers while cars are referred to as Bimmers. This odious distinction never existed earlier.

Cheers,
Old 11th December 2009, 08:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Latest news & soy photo of 2012 3-series: 2012 BMW 3-Series F30 Now Winter Testing
Attached Thumbnails
Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-2138475.jpg  

Old 11th December 2009, 12:13   #12
BHPian

the model is ok but WHERE IS THE FLAME SURFACING?
looks plane sheet of metal everywhere , no cuts , no wedges, no sharp counters and lines.
did bmw packed everything of bangle influance ?
Old 11th December 2009, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
the model is ok but WHERE IS THE FLAME SURFACING?
Well,its quite unfortunate that Flame Surfacing has been laid to rest by BMW after Bangle left.
If last-gen Beemers had some individuality,it was because of Bangle,and in a good way.
This one,on the other hand,looks as unassuming as an old Fiesta sedan.This play-safe design policy is so un-BMW
Old 20th November 2010, 22:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3 Series caught testing, interior revealed for first time!!

SOURCE: autoblog
Attached Thumbnails
Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-bmw3.ints3.kgp.ed.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-bmw3.int2.kgp.ed.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-bmw3.ints4.kgp.ed.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-bmw3.ints2.kgp.ed.jpg  

Spied:2012 BMW 3 series sedan-bmw3.int1.kgp.ed.jpg  

Old 20th November 2010, 23:25   #15
BHPian

I think its just a very nicely camouflaged model so can't make out too much right now.

Hope it looks better than the current model! Maybe more like the current M3
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks