Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 15:55   #16
BHPian

VW in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What about European preference for EUR cars?
Even though they might get more reliable vehicle at lower price from Japs.

I don't think Americans are that fanatic.
I've felt just the opposite. Being in both the places, I've seen Americans to be more fanatic about "Brand America".

On the topic: In Germany, I've seen that the offerings from VW are one step above than their American and Japanese counterparts. Apart from that, they have their Seat and Skoda brands for the "comomon people".
Old 11th November 2009, 16:23   #17
BANNED

I heard that some worker in a US Auto firm bought Japanese. His car was vandalised, and he was hounded until he sold it off. This was about 10 years ago.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

This may be temporary, and Toyota will be back to the top soon.

But VW definitely is on the attack, and sure has their presence marked in India. Soon, they will have cars totally engineered here, and the plant has amazing production capacity of 1.1L. With made in India pricing, diesel advantage and German engineering prowess, they are going to rock some segments soon.

Watch out Honda & Toyota.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Way to go VW. For VW to make it happen in India, they need to get a high degree of localization so that they can avoid paying taxes, which eventually are passed onto end customers. Once this is taken care, they can then start to build their base and work towards leadership position.

Today's blitz in TOI is one such step and am sure that many would have taken notice of VW and their capabilities. Am sure that many would starting buying their cars for the value they offer in terms of engineering and reliability and not just look at the price point to derive the so called VFM.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:03   #20
BHPian

hanmust great thread

Its good to hear VW doing good the world over. I hope they raise their standards in the Indian markets specifically in the areas of after sales.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:30   #21
BHPian

OT : Saw the VW ad on TV yesterday which talked about Mini, Jetta & Passat. Nice ad though
Old 12th November 2009, 20:11   #22
BANNED

It's not that VW has won the battle, rather saying Toyota has lost will be more appropriate. Toyota has been hit hard by recession because of it dependence on the US market. Its a good lesson for Tyota to expand their market in developing country like India.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

VW en-route to be the nr.1 Manufacturer Globally for 2011

"When Ze Germans target something, they most definitely will get it. VW has set an ambitious target of dominating the world auto industry by 2018. The German Czar which owns brands such as Audi, Skoda, Lamborghini, Buggati and many more has set aside a budget of 4 trillion rupees to achieve this goal.
And it seems that slowly and steadily all their plans are taking shape. VW is all set to overtake Toyota as the no.1 manufacturer for the year 2011."

Volkswagen to be the No 1 Manufacturer globally for 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Becomes World’s Largest Auto Manufacturer-volkswagenpolofrontend.jpg  

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th October 2011 at 15:07.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW en-route to be the nr.1 Manufacturer Globally for 2011

I read this and related articles with a mixed feeling . While the No.1 tag is surely a nice one, somehow the No.1 spot is jinxed .
Coming back to VW's surge, apart from winning the war they have won very crucial battles like Audi overtaking Merc and VW cracking China market and doing very well in India .
It helps to be big and its helps even more to be very profitable - cracking open tough markets become easier with faster rollouts . In India VW has blitzed the market with new launches and has steadily increased their service presence .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 17:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Becomes World’s Largest Auto Manufacturer

VW reports 2011 sales above 8 million; passes Toyota

Volkswagen Group boosted global vehicle sales to above 8 million for the first time in 2011, passing Toyota Motor Corp.and edging closer to world sales leader General Motors Co.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1j3TwZYID

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 00:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thought I will share a chart I got from facebook, showing the nexus between the various manufacturers of the world. Would like to know how far this is true. Also, I do not see a direct technical agreement between Fiat and Maruti!

Volkswagen Becomes World’s Largest Auto Manufacturer-manufact.jpg
Old 15th September 2012, 04:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma
Thought I will share a chart I got from facebook, showing the nexus between the various manufacturers of the world. Would like to know how far this is true. Also, I do not see a direct technical agreement between Fiat and Maruti!
This is quite an old chart now. Volvo - Ford, Saab - GM breakups haven't been updated. Also MnM - Ssangyong isn't updated. I think I remember seeing this image in a Auto Mag a few years ago.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

VW moves closer to global No. 1 goal as it outsells GM in China

Quote:

After trailing General Motors Co. in China for eight years, Volkswagen edged ahead in third-quarter sales, putting it one step closer to its goal of becoming the world's biggest automaker.
VW's deliveries in the country jumped 21 percent last quarter, almost triple GM's growth, to 704,991 vehicles, according to figures the company reported on Wednesday. That beat the 664,765 that GM reported earlier this month.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:20   #29
BHPian

In the middle east, they are getting the 'cheap' car image (though their price tags are well above the cheap cars) - earlier the VW Golf was considered a luxury to indulge oneself with. This newspaper report called the VW Polo sedan "cheap as chapati" (not in the main article, but they do state it on all their links to the article... scroll down from the article page to the "More From Motoring", go to the home page and scroll down, or scroll right from the article page to "Life & Style editor's choice") :-D
http://gulfnews.com/life-style/motor...ring-1.1091255
Old 8th January 2015, 20:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Overtakes Toyota to Become Biggest Automaker in the World in 2014.

Audi and Skoda brands, both of which performed better than expected aid this tremendous feat for VW.

Quote:
All-in-all, Volkswagen Group managed to deliver 9,919,305 automobiles over the course of 2014, very close to the 10 million mark. Toyota actually registered a decline in sales of 2.3 percent. 9,818,609 models were delivered, 224,511 fewer than in the previous year.
The fight over the 3rd and 4th spots appears to be just as big as the one over #1. General Motors, hit hard by recalls, only managed to sell 8,017,844 automobiles, 0.2% fewer than in 2013.

Renault delivered 7,947,606 cars, only about 70,000 fewer than GM.

Hyundai came in 5th with an impressive 7,550,383, registering a 4.1% combined increase in demand.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...014-90845.html
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed